1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I am thinking about buying Prius Prime

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Waterobert, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Waterobert

Waterobert Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I am thinking about buying plug-in car and Prime is on my list. I have Highlander hybrid with almost 200K. My plan was to buy in early 2018, however probable changes in tax code made me reconsider.If I buy in December, will I still get 4.5k fed tax credit?

2. CraigM

CraigM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I would say “yes”. Although they could make the new tax plan retroactive, that’s not going to happen. I just bought my Prime Advance last week for the same reason.

Craig

dalcon95 likes this.
  3. Diemaster

Diemaster Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    as a recent fellow prime owner, all i can say is if you want it, why not get it? ;)

dalcon95 likes this.
  4. idleuser

idleuser Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The house bill says "repeal" but the senate says "no" But it's safe to say that if you buy now, you will still qualify between now and 12/31/2017.

dalcon95 likes this.
  5. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Taxes are calendar year. Assuming the credit still exists as is and you make the purchase on or before Dec 31st you can apply for it assuming your own personal tax situation qualifies you for it. You must have a total tax liability of $4,502 to apply the full $4,502 credit against.

deadmoney33 and dalcon95 like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    fly to the northeast and get it now, with a $3,500. toyota rebate, before the really cold weather sets in.

dalcon95 likes this.
  7. SteveMucc

SteveMucc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    yes, if you purchase in NJ/NY area you'll get the $3500 manufacturer rebate on top of the $4500 govn't credit. Basically you start 8K off the top (although not all immediately available to you).

you could fly to ny, see the city for a few days, drive back and still come back ahead.

8. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Do it quickly. I just read that the planet will be destroyed on Sunday Nov. 19th by a planetary object called Nibiru. I am hoping with a full charge I can out drive it.

9. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    If you use the "ECO Accelerator Guidance" you're not going to make it. :(;)

Since2002 and priuscatprimeguy like this.
  10. PriusC4me

PriusC4me Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I would agree this is time to get one if you really want one, I just bought mine last week for the same reason of getting the tax credit for 2017 tax year. I highly recommend my local Toyota dealer in upstate NY if you want to fly into Albany and drive home. If interested I will shoot you his name and number. Got to say my wife and I really love this car so far. This dealer currently has 3 advanced and 3 premium models in their lot.

11. Waterobert

Waterobert Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thank you guys!
    I am still debating between Prius Prime and Toyota RAV4 hybrid. I am used to driving SUV, however I would like to get electric car just to try new thing, lol.
    My work commute is ideal for Prime, 11 miles one way.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you driven one?

13. RonMc5

RonMc5 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If you don't go off road and don't tow a trailer. Prius Prime. You need to check the trunk room though, as compared to a regular Prius we lost a bunch. Prius in general lost storage compared to Gen IIs and IIIs as well. Consider I have a Prius Prime Advanced myself and bought mine for the unparalleled fuel mileage and well known (Toyota and especially Prius) reliability. If I was going to tow my jet ski, I'd go for the RAV4 hybrid. Alas I haven't gone out on my jet ski since my 70th B'day 4 years ago, and I only lacked a tow vehicle for the last two.

14. Waterobert

Waterobert Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't go off road or tow a trailer anymore. Don't even compete with other drivers to the red light anymore. Yep I am getting old, lol.
    Probably the only reason I have for buying another SUV is driving comfort.
    I do want to stick with Toyota, I do value reliability. I can't believe that my highlander with 190K miles on it still has original brake pads !!!!

pilotgrrl likes this.
  15. RonMc5

RonMc5 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hybrids in general are VERY EZ on brake pads due to the regen braking. :)

pilotgrrl likes this.
  16. Garmy

Garmy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Just sold my 2012 Prius yesterday (in prep for Prime delivery) and was driven home in a new RAV4. I was quite surprised at how confined the front seats were. I think the Prius actually is more spacious.

17. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    If you do test drive a Prime, be sure to notice if the battery has a full charge. (Full charge allows EV only mode) If it is not, you will not get to feel how the powerful, very responsive EV driving is. I can't stress this enough. Your 22 mile commute will be entirely inside the EV range and that's what you need to feel because that's how you'll be driving it. The responsiveness and torque of EV driving has no comparison to the hybrid (engine and battery) driving mode. EV is the icing on the cake and you'll get to be in it 100% of your work commute with the Prime.

huskers likes this.
  18. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Check how much you pay for power. Plugging in can be more expensive than gasoline in many areas of the country.

19. A Prime Factor

A Prime Factor Formerly "I want my PHEV"

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, it is extremely unlikely that they would take away a tax credit like this retroactively. So I think you can still get it (up to $4500) if you act fast. Caution! December 31st is a Sunday, so you only have until December 30th, unless someone can find a dealership open on a Sunday.

And if you want comfortable, what can be better than driving an "electric" car? Hybrids are great, but they have this engine on/engine off thing going on all the time. With your commute, you'll be driving seamlessly in all EV. Think about how quiet that will be!

Also, welcome to PriusChat!

pilotgrrl likes this.
  20. idleuser

idleuser Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Dealerships are open 7 days a week in California. At least most dealerships!!