1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I am thinking about selling

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by DCinPSL, Jul 23, 2015.

1. DCinPSL

DCinPSL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I currently own a 2013 Prius v with 75000 miles and I am thinking about selling it and buying a new 2015. I only owe $14,500 on the 2013 and I think I can sell it for $16000 to $17000. My 2013 is a three and I want to get another three or higher while they have the 0% financing. Any thoughts on the 2015 good or bad? I love my 2013 I just think it's the perfect time to get a new one.

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would want to keep my payments the same or lower without putting up more cash now and without a longer term than what you started out with.

DCinPSL likes this.
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The 2 cars are basically the same, although the bumpers have been improved on the 2015 and is a safer car.

You know these cars are pretty much trouble free to over 150k miles right?

DCinPSL likes this.
  4. DCinPSL

DCinPSL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I put 35,000 miles a year on my car due to a long commute for work so I know I will probably always have a car payment. As long as I can get the zero percent interest and finance for 60 months, then I can sell at the three year mark without any lose. I know if I try to trade it, they will rape me on the price so I am going to have to sell it myself in order to avoid that. Do you know if the 2015 has a hatch release in the inside and if the seats are more comfortable? Those are the only two complaints I have with my current car.

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just go to a dealership and do your research. You might not get raped there :LOL: The prices are really low on the 2015, you might be surprised at what you can get by trading up

DCinPSL likes this.
  6. DCinPSL

DCinPSL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I will try because I would much rather trade it and avoid the hassle of selling it. I have really had no lock with dealerships in the past but it's worth a try. Thanks

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We got 2013 Plug in Prius (PiPs) here going for at least $20k if miles is <30k miles but if the miles gets up to 75-80k miles then we have as low as $14.5k sales price at dealers. Just saying especially in non-CARB states (you and me both) you are getting close to the Cinderella point, as far as hoping for maximum payout.

DCinPSL likes this.
  8. drmanny3

drmanny3 Member

Don't be afraid of selling your car to a private party. I used http://www.autotrader.com and had great luck. You take the pictures and then post it. I sold our 2006 Prius fully optioned with 110,000 for $9200 in about a week. No hassle we let autoclub take care of everything.
    Manny

DCinPSL likes this.
  9. DCinPSL

DCinPSL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    What's Autoclub?

I agree. I think it's now or never o_O

#9 DCinPSL, Jul 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2015
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when i trade up, iget my best prices on email from the dealers, both trade in price and purchase. if they start any garbage about the condition of the trade in when i get there, i just get up and walk out. they usually change their tune at that point. all the best!(y)

DCinPSL likes this.
  11. DCinPSL

DCinPSL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I am definitely going to do the online email thing first. I hate wasting an entire day playing games at the dealership. I want everything in writing before I step foot in the showroom. I hate the car buying/selling process :mad:

bisco likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    same here. i don't even like wasting my time at dealerships for recalls and free service. it's the same feeling as waiting at an airport.

DCinPSL likes this.
  13. bingee3

bingee3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'd wait for the 2016

14. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    you might want to kbb.com for value..looks like $9000 private party sale in excellent condition.

Kelley Blue Book

#14 Beachbummm, Jul 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  15. DCinPSL

DCinPSL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not sure which kbb you are looking at but the private party very good condition value is $15833

image.jpg

#15 DCinPSL, Jul 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2015
  16. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    $9,000 for a 2013 would be a ...bummer

17. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can get a brand spanking new hatch for under $20K.
    Zero miles, two years newer.

If you're just using this car as a commuter beast, then you're throwing away a lot of money by up-optioning a wagon and then depreciating it away in two years on the interstate.
    Wagons usually retailed for something close to $30K up-optioned, in 2013 and now you're looking to sell yours 2 years later and you're hoping that you'll get 50-percent of what you paid for it......IF you sell it privately instead of trading it in.
    You're doing this about 6 months before the new Priuses come out, and when gas is about $2.20 a gallon.
    Don't get me wrong!
    Now is a really GREAT time to buy a Prius, but not when you're underwater in your present Prius. because right now is also one heckuva bad time to be selling a high mileage, two year old Prius.....and a much worse time to be trading one in.

The good news here is that you're thinking about selling it privately instead of trading it in.
    You might even have title in hand, which makes it even easier.
    The bad news is that at your current rate you're going to to be making increasingly larger payments over increasingly lengthy loan periods for about the same class of car.
    This is the long term financial equivalent of a hamster on a wheel.

Don't get hung up on the zero percent rate thing.
    My credit union is writing loans for about 1.25 percent, and the last time I penciled this out I'm beating their teaser rate with a cash deal.

#17 ETC(SS), Jul 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
    SageBrush likes this.
  18. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    click the link....in blue

19. DCinPSL

DCinPSL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry but I disagree...I am NOT underwater in my car. I owe 14,800 and I CAN sell it for close to 16,000. As long as I can sell my current car and buy a new one keeping my payments the same, then why wouldn't I? It's like leasing without the mileage restrictions. If I kept my current vehicle to full term of 60 months I would have over 150,000 miles on it and I would have to turn around and buy another one at that point anyway. Seems like a no brainier to me but we will see if it all pans out. Thank you for your thoughts.

20. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^ Well....that's your call.

Me?
    I'm betting that your current car will make 150,000 miles.
    That means that you can really sell it instead of trading it in when you're done and strike a good cash deal on a 2018.....or.....since Priuses usually make it to about 200K if the owner checks the oil every 1000 miles you could bank 2 years of car payments and maybe make a $10,000-$15,000 down payment, EVEN if you have some bad luck with repairs.

I disagree about your estimation of your car's worth, but I can see that you're going to have to go through a few more iterations of the trade/buy/trade/buy cycle before the lesson sinks in.

BTDT.

Good Luck!
    Please feel free to post a sales receipt and a dealer P.O. (with personal info redacted) and gloat if I'm giving you a bum steer.