1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I Beat the EPA--Post 'em here

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by efusco, Apr 14, 2004.

1. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Old n Bold @ Jul 21 2006, 09:32 PM) [snapback]290332[/snapback]</div>
    E85 or did you mean E10 i.e. 10% Ethano? I have been in Portland a number of times and have yet to run across E85, it is rare here in Olympia and E10 is everywhere in winter? The computers in the car not to mention the rest of the system "may" have problems with E85

2. Graz

Graz Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Holy Cow!!!

I just recorded an average MPG over a tank full at 51.2 MPG! I am entirely (and happily) surprised. Much of this was ighway miles, and even the EPA says that we can get 51 MPG on the highway. But I have NEVER approached reaching the EPA reports on any vehicle!!!

Then I filled up for a 200 mile return trip, and NOW my mileage reads 57.2 MPG!!! What is going on here? I am so happy I could nearly burst!!! Let's see what happens to my record of 506 miles on one tank!

3. troe

troe New Member

I finally beat the EPA for real. Here was my last tank.

[​IMG]

4. GUENWYVAR

GUENWYVAR New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Graz @ Jul 31 2006, 08:53 PM) [snapback]295424[/snapback]</div>

I've had my Prius since April & just finished the break in period going 100 miles to DE from PA. On the way down it was in the upper 30's to 40's but on the way home,same road & same weather it was 51.6 average & showing 55 on some stretches of highway. I had filled up the tank before coming home...gas was cheaper down there....and the gas gauge didn't drop a block til I was a little over a mile from my house ! I LOVE IT !!

5. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    OK I just went over 70 mpg. Yes it was a short tank, I had to go to Seattle and then drive around for my Wife. At yes is was early in the morning and 61 degrees out, and I usually fill up late in the day, but OK it is the first time I went over 70 mpg. Yes I still thing a 3 tank average is the best, and yes the last tank was a bit low, but damn a tank over 70... I claim it... even if it may not be correct. Check out the August average for something close to truth. BTW I am now at 63+ I think I love summer. You’ll down south do you need someone to join you?

6. bobbicougar

bobbicougar New Member

Hi there,
    I have had my 2006 Prius since December, and for the most part I am pretty happy with it. (Although I must say that I enjoy the luxuries of my partner's Toyota Camry hybrid.) We have many, many Prius owners here in western Sonoma County, CA.
    Anyway, here are a couple of questions...
    1) Do you find a difference between what the screen tells you for mpg, compared to what you calculate based on gallons of gas? I have been relying on the screen, but maybe shouldn't be?
    I have only been getting a modest 43-44mpg and am discouraged as I used to drive a company Prius car (before I bought my own) and got 50-52mpg on that one. And this is summertime mpg (no heater, rarely use A/C). Same driver,same driving style. Hmmm Only difference was that it was a 2004 or 2005 and mine is a 2006.
    2) I keep hearing and reading different things about tire pressure. Is it okay (safe) to inflate to 42/40? If so, why does the manual say 35/30 for tire inflation?
    3) My experience agrees with the comments about scratched paint. Both the Prius and the Camry get scratched more easily than any cars we have ever owned! Hopefully the touch-up paint works well...
    thanks for any input....
    Sebastopol Prius

7. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

Finally made it to 60 mpg for a whole tank! I've done better on short trips but a whole tank is hard with my short 10 mile commute and lots of traffic and mostly interstate highway driving.

This tank covered temperatures of about 60 to 85 degrees with most of it at near 75 deg. I filled up in Scranton PA so maybe 75% of the trip was highway driving at 65 mph. The rest was on smaller roads at speeds from 30 to 55 mph with a lot at 40 mph. Traffic prevents much of any pulse and glide and as you can see I have to brake often too.

Mileage was a bit higher right after my trip, but commuting to work even the back routes brought me down to 59.3 at one point. So I finished up today with a drive trying for over 70 mpg to bring back the average.

Final graph for locals was a drive out route 2A to 495 N and back on route 225 and up 128 to rt 3A to a Shell station. I didn't want to change gas brands after this, so I skipped trying for a record miles plus I know the gas station in PA did not really fill it full. So I filled up with 2 bars left.

I used premium Shell in PA due to something wrong with prev tank. This tank I filled with regular and mpg is holding about the same so far.

8. vef579

vef579 Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tomdeimos @ Aug 19 2006, 03:15 PM) [snapback]305963[/snapback]</div>
    So is it that Shell gasoline is the trick to getting high gas mileage?

9. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gopher @ Aug 19 2006, 10:20 PM) [snapback]306052[/snapback]</div>
    I sure wish it was that easy! Not claiming that quite. But I have always found brand differences matter.
    Main reason I try to use it is because it is the only top tier one easily available where I live.

see: http://www.toptiergas.com/

I've used 3 tanks of premium, but mostly I use regular octane. This tank was premium because I thought the octane might have been too low on my prev tank of Mobil that got very bad mpg. I often use Mobil with great results and have had one bad tank with Shell too. However my best tanks have just happened to be with Shell.

I'm not recommending premium normally, but I have found it never hurt my mpg.

So with this fill up my mpg shot upward immediately. Same happened before when I got bad mpg from a fill up and I tried boosting the octane, so I suspect octane too low is often a problem.

As to tricks the main things are well covered here. Only thing I do different than most is to do lots of stealth when I can and very little pulse and glide. Not against the pulse and glide but I find the traffic and terrain here rarely cooperate. Otherwise I just stick to speed limits, and pick slower routes when I have the time.

My general method is to use stealth for all down grades, engine for up hill grades, and let the car pick on flat areas.

Then you should try for your best mpg when the weather is warm as possible but cool enough you don't need AC going or at least very little of it. I like AC so that often ruins my mpg for a tank.

Generally the slow roads give me over 70 mpg but I do mostly highway and that is usually mid to high 50's.
    Then my short commute brings it all down so I can only get a good tank like this if I've been on a real trip somewhere for the bulk of the tank. My normal tanks I feel good long as I can keep it over 50 mpg.

10. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Great job tomdeimos! I can't pulse and glide much either in city traffic, I do what I call glide and stop.

Wayne

11. troe

troe New Member

I just fillled the tank yesterday, 686 miles, 10.7 gallons, 64 MPG. :lol: I think I am starting to learn the P&G stuff better each tank.

[​IMG]

12. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  13. Gmen

Gmen Junior Member

Just picked up my brand new 2006 Prius today!!!! 300 miles from the dealer to home and on my first highway trip I averged 51.8. Take that skeptics.

14. sluggo42

sluggo42 New Member

ya baby! I'm getting better and better. Check out the miles vs. the gas guage.

[attachmentid=4822]

Attached Files:

15. sfatula

sfatula Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok, had to go to North Carolina to buy one, could not find one any time soon anywhere in Texas. So, drove 1,150 or so miles and computed the average (not the display), 2 tanks, got 53.4 MPG essentially all highway of course. EPA seems to be 51, so, I beat it. Second tank was better than the first. Drove without cruise, at 65MPH.

16. dcoyne78

dcoyne78 New Member

Best Tank for me is 83.7 mpg over 629.3 miles, 7.521 gal added on 9/19/2006, at the beginning of this tank I managed about 48 miles at 99.9 mpg displayed, and pulled off the round trip at 99.7 mpg. My best one way segment was 108 mpg (over a fairly flat course) for 27.1 miles. I also pulled off several nice round trip segments.
    mpg---distance
    103.5 49.2 mi
    101.4 47.6 mi
    102.3 47.7 mi

In between these pulse and glide segments I would get between 68 and 75 mpg in normal around town short trips picking up kids at school and running errands. Its unlikely I will ever get this kind of mileage again, this was really an experiment to see what I could do, with winter approaching in Maine I hope to manage a couple more tanks in the 60s before it gets really cold and I struggle to get 50. I may block my radiator and get a block heater before winter to see if that helps my winter mileage.
    [​IMG]

17. Dr Ed

Dr Ed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've had my Prius option #3 for a few weeks and I make the same 90-mile highway, moderately hilly, drive three times each week. On those drives I have been achieving 50-50.4 mpg with the OEM tires. About a week ago I checked the tire pressures for the first time. Each tire had only 29 PSI. I pumped each to 38 psi. Since then I made three more of the same 90 mile trips. For those three trips I achieved 50.1-50.4 mpg. No mpg gain after adding 9 pounds to each tire. I think the significance of air pressure on mpg is seriously overrated.

18. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    finally able to join the club here...

56.8 mpg, 500 miles on the tank before DH needed the car to be a "temporary organ donor" of sorts. :blink:

i was in line to get about 59 until we had some cool mornings and i had to make a lot of short hop on the highway and hop off again a mile later kind of trips.

anyway, i topped 55 :D

19. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My last tank of the summer season befor the colder weather kicks in. It's my best tank ever too, 68.3 MPG on the MFD at 784 miles for the tank. I was flirting with 70 MPG before a 4 day stretch of rain and cold swept through earlier in the tank. Now to try and keep above my winter target of 55 MPG and look forward to May and try to catch Ray Moore (see earlier in this thread) with a 800+ mile tank.

Wayne

20. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ Sep 29 2006, 02:27 PM) [snapback]325705[/snapback]</div>
    Agreed.
    But personally, I'm not complaining. I had five tanks above 60MPG this summer. My goal was two because last year I had one that I remember fighting and coasting into the gas station to get it up to exactly 60.0MPG. My new benchmark: 63.0MPG.