1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I Beat the EPA--Post 'em here

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by efusco, Apr 14, 2004.

1. BrianTheDog

BrianTheDog New Member

My high score so far is 61.0 MPG.

Back in the spring I got 3 tanks in a row just over 60 MPG -- a 60.1, a 60.4, and that 61.0 -- after using 10 gallons of gas each tank. No A/C or heater, and absolutely no interstate driving. I haven't achieved that since the spring. Throughout the summer (using the A/C) most of my tanks were 48-52 MPG. With the current moderate temps around here, I'm back up to 55-57 MPG.

I've also driven over 28,000 miles since I got my car a year ago (10/21/05). I've filled up 58 times.

A fuzzy pic of my high score:

Attached Files:

• 61_0.jpg
      61_0.jpg
      File size:
      29.1 KB
      Views:
  2. HaeMaker

HaeMaker Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Graz @ Jul 31 2006, 07:53 PM) [snapback]295424[/snapback]</div>
    You don't say where you went on your trip, but if you were returning to a city at a lower elevation that where you started, even only a few hundred feet, may make the difference.

I am almost certain it wans't up hill both ways!

3. Stringmike

Stringmike New Member

Our 2006 is just over a month old and 1,500 miles on the odo. Most of the mileage is my wife's commute, which includes around 25 miles of urban freeway (speed limit 65, actual limit 75). Average was 46 to 48 mpg for the first couple of tanks, now it's getting run in. We increased tire pressures last week and have seen our first tank with above EPA figures - averaging 51.4 mpg. This is in Phoenix/Scottsdale with A/C on most of the time.

Mike

4. echase

echase New Member

I pay careful attention to braking early for red lights, which often lets them turn green before I get there, negating the need for inneficient accelleration from a standstill. I've only had my '06 (Barcelona Red) for 1800 miles, my lifetime average is 56.3 mpg!

I also drive a lot of highway miles... I try to keep my speed around 62 mph, and don't accelerate too hard on the freeway... as long as I am traveling at over 50mph I try not to let my MPG dip below 35. I have also found that when goin up a hill I get better mileage maintaining a speed in excess of 50mph than if I do at lower speeds.

--EDIT... now I'm up to 57.2 @ 2523 miles!

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Take THAT, epa.
    10th tank over 60mpg ~ 4th tank over 61mpg ... and all time personal best. Let's hear it for being obsessed !!

Attached Files:

6. vef579

vef579 Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tomdeimos @ Aug 19 2006, 09:04 PM) [snapback]306093[/snapback]</div>
    I've been told that using Premium in engines designed for Regular will eventually ruin the engine because it burns too hot. Anyone have a response to this?

I had an older car once that ran much better on Premium than Regular, and I had problems with the carburetor during that time.

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gopher @ Nov 27 2006, 01:11 PM) [snapback]354452[/snapback]</div>
    As the Expedia.com traveling gnome would say, "Hogwash". Take that from a 20+ year aerospace maint/machinist (and attorney). If you don't mind the financial hit, all primium will do is good. Primarily, premium will lesson pre-detonation, which wears out the top end prematurly.

8. elecblue

elecblue New Member

Prior PHEV tank mileage: 60 mpg (winter is setting in; PHEV only about 2/3 of the time)

Current PHEV tank mileage: 70 mpg (using PHEV more)

Mpg range for trips: Low - 52; High - 104 mpg for a trip to work.

I'll take pix of the MFD and CAN-View and post if you all would like.

Extra cost: Approx. $0.40/day for electricity. Would rather give the $ to ComEd than Chavez in Venezuela.

9. radNRG

radNRG New Member

Aloha from Hawaii, Everyone!

I'm posting from Honolulu, but my 2005 Prius (package #4) is in San Antonio with about 12000 miles on her.

I aplogize for not having screenshots of my best fuel mileage, but I can attempt to reproduce after I return (I'm looking after family right now).

My single best was approximately 260 mi (70% in town at speeds below 45 mph/30% freeway at speeds below 65 mph), no mountains, some rolling hills, avg temp 85 F.

66.6 mpg Scout's Honor!

I ran the tires at 2 psi over standard, unladen, single passenger, and did a ton of coasting in to stoplights.

A couple of quick questions:

1. Can I extract the lifetime fuel consumption figures from my Prius? I am mildly irritated that the the stock software displays only current tank numbers.

2. Is there any adverse affect on any part of the vehicle if I run the car in its "magic mode" (my term) between 37 and 46 mph where I back off the accelerator and then very lightly touch it on level surfaces and the the display shows no fuel consumption and max mileage. The miles/gallon really goes up when I drive this way. This is the method that obtained my 66+ mpg figure. Accurate? Safe?

Anyone?

P.S. How do I get all the neat gadgets many of you seem to have?

10. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    57 mpg 320 miles so far a little bit before half tank is left, 2001 prius by the way hope you guys count classics too

11. rylewis

rylewis New Member

My 05 Prius's best fill: 494 miles, only 7.7 gallons to fill. Car read 52MPG, but my calcs are over 64. The Prius is averaging 54.3 (car) / 51.9 (calculated) at 9600 miles. BTW I live in Colorado and this Prius has been in several mountain climbs. :p

12. vef579

vef579 Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RyLewis @ Dec 16 2006, 05:09 PM) [snapback]363241[/snapback]</div>
    There's got to be something wrong with my system and that of a friend's (2006 Prius). We both get at best 46 mpg in our hilly Prescott Valley, AZ, area. I've tried switching gas from Regular to Premium with only a little improvement, and just barely enough to offset the extra cost.

13. bobboben

bobboben New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    have a 2003 prius,,annual mpg averages are 48.6, 50.2, and 50.6. Ive been as far north as Vermontville, ny., as far west as Durango, Co and as far south as Sarasota, Fl..Looking forward to averaging year 4 March 11th on the anniversary of the purchase..

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BrianTheDog @ Oct 15 2006, 01:45 PM) [snapback]333050[/snapback]</div>
    dont have a picture of it, but ive achieve total screen green..30 mins at >100mpg on two occasions..the first was coming down from blowing rock nc..and the second was on the interstate..coasting..near denver, co..
    bobbo

14. Graz

Graz Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Everyone,

Another year ends with me at the helm of the most futuristic car on the American road. Thanks for assisting me in my transition!

I may be one of the few people that gets better mileage on the highway than I do in normal day - to day commuting. I say this with complete confidence. As you have all assisted me in achieving the best that I can.

Every time I get on the highway, I set the cruise control at 64 MPG. I took my family of four to Ventura (from San Diego) a few weeks ago. I filled the tank on the way to the highway and I didn't fill it again till I got home, and commuted for a few days. 52 miles per gallon! Normal commuting yields about 48MPG.

As always... I am the exception.

Happy New Year!

- Go Chargers -

15. PLMurphy

PLMurphy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 14 2004, 04:10 PM) [snapback]11617[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry, but I do not believe your logs. If you or anyone else is getting more than 43mpg out of a standard Prius, then you should be sharing instead of bragging. Neither one of my Prius Touring models gets over 43mpg in any conditions. :eek:

16. kDB

kDB New Member

Guess I could post my best too. I'll edit it if/when I get a better tank.

Fill-up Date: 10/08/06
    Miles on Tank: 498
    MFD MPG: 63.7
    Avg. Temp.: 63.8°F

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PLM @ Jan 3 2007, 05:05 PM) [snapback]370389[/snapback]</div>
    There is a lot of info at priuschat on how to get better mileage. Just search for it. Besides, what's wrong with a little bragging once in a while.

17. PLMurphy

PLMurphy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kDB @ Jan 3 2007, 06:49 PM) [snapback]370399[/snapback]</div>
    Perhaps, but why don't the braggers ever share how they are getting the high mpg? It is sort of like claiming that "mine is bigger than yours" without proof.

18. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PLM @ Jan 3 2007, 09:14 PM) [snapback]370477[/snapback]</div>

We have.
    Lots of posts about this. Learn to use the search features.
    I get lower mpg than most, but I got 62 mpg on a tank and covered how it happened somewhere here.

Many have reached above 70 using pulse and glide, also covered in here somewhere a lot.

It should be simple for anybody with a Prius to show themselves that great mpg is possible by just taking a nice slow drive in the country in rolling hills. If you drive slow you should be able to maintain above 60 mpg and maybe over 70.

People that get under 50 , as I often get are getting low mpg for pretty obvious reasons:

1 bad traffic and no opportunities for pulse and glide
    2 big hills.
    3 city with too many stops.
    4 short trips
    5 winter temperatures

Every Prius driver should get great mpg if they just avoid those 5 problems and also don't feel the need to go fast.
    Then if you are at some altitude, you gain another big advantage over being down near sealevel.

Instead of doubting everyone, test it yourself for say 50 miles out away from traffic.
    If you can't get over 70 mpg going under 42 or over 60 driving at up to 60 mph you're not doing something right.

19. PLMurphy

PLMurphy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tomdeimos @ Jan 4 2007, 10:16 AM) [snapback]370694[/snapback]</div>
    Avoiding the five problems? Sorry but I have no idea how to avoid traffic, winter temp, big hills, city stops and short trips---routine facts of driving life. Admittedly there are techniques of getting better mpg, but at what trouble vs. mpg? I accelerate to the speed limit, then try to keep the yellow bar as high as possible. But I am not increasing tire pressure and ruin a great ride. Nor am I not using cruise control on the Interstate let alone go less than 65mph. In other words, let the Prius run my life. However thank you for your response.

20. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PLM @ Jan 3 2007, 10:14 PM) [snapback]370477[/snapback]</div>
    If you google pulse and glide, you'll see numerous pages about using this technique to improve mileage. There's really no secret about this (although searching Priuschat for pusle glide didn't bring up much -- maybe because the knowledge base articles are still being moved?). One brief example:
    http://hybridcars.about.com/od/ownership/a/pulseandglide.htm

Must be nice owning 2 Touring Priuses! I'm still on the city bus while Megan drives the car to work. :(