1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I bought a 2019 Prius XLE

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by dilysmoore, Nov 6, 2021.

1. dilysmoore

dilysmoore New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius PHV
    Model:
    Five
    I bought a 2019 Prius XLE from a dealer in South Florida pretty much sight unseen. I've only driven it around town but depending on the pavement the road noise seems to be quite loud.

I don't really remember the road noise being that loud in the 2008. I'm half tempted to go test drive a different Prius at a local dealer just to compare.

Has anybody transitioned from a Gen 2 to a Gen 4 and able to offer some feedback?

Anybody got any tips on how to quell road noise?

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tyres. Plus, I think the car is so much quieter than the old ones, that tyre noise is more obvious.

3. MalachyNG

MalachyNG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Oh man I once bought a cheap set of tires from discount tire and the road noise from them was so loud you could barely have a conversation at highway speeds. The next set I bought I sprang for the good ones and the difference in road noise was night and day. The dealer probably slapped on the cheapest rubber they could find and called it a day.

4. Reypac24

Reypac24 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Bought my used 2020 Gen IV XLE with only 6k miles on odometer this past March. While I will admit it is noisier than my wife's GX-460, it's not any louder than the 2012 Honda Accord EX-L it replaced.

5. MPGboss

MPGboss Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    yup, your tires are probably not ideal. my car is very quiet.

6. Colorado Boo

Colorado Boo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Yep tires can make a huge difference but how does the tread wear look? If something is out of alignment it'll make quite a bit of noise, too. (And brakes can make noise if they're having issues like a caliper not releasing all the way or a pad rubbing, especially on the non-caliper side.) When we replaced the Toyo tires that came with my wife's 2017 with General Altimax RT43's and they are a little louder but the Toyo's didn't last 25,000 miles so wanted the longer lasting tires. (The Altimax are rated at 65,000 miles)