1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I bought a used car and I need help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by EverestStudio, Jul 27, 2021.

1. EverestStudio

EverestStudio New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I bought a used 2007 Prius and I was stupid and trusted the seller.

I got 4 codes P0420, P1116, P1121, and P1123.

While I already know what is P0420 is for and how to fix it. I have no idea what the other codes are for and how to fix them.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What did the seller tell you that you didn't already know? Is your check engine light on? How are you planning to fix P0420?

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello and welcome to Priuschat.

Those three codes are all related to the Coolant Heat Storage tank system. The CHS is a thermos bottle in left front fender that keeps several quarts of coolant hot for 2-3 days (only on US spec cars). On a cold start a small pump pushes that hot coolant into the engine so it warms up faster (and emissions are reduced). Whether this system functions or not has no detectable affect on driveability or reliability. If you don't have emissions inspection in your area then you don't NEED to repair this unless you choose to.

P1116 is for the temperature sensor that is mounted on the bottom of the tank. P1121 (and P1123) are both for the coolant "3 way valve" that controls engine coolant flow in and out of the CHS tank (super common failure on Gen2 Prius- best to get a new one from Toyota).

For diagnosing this you might want to find a copy of the factory service manual. Also it can be very useful to get a mini VCI cable (along with a bootleg copy of Techstream - Toyota's diagnostic software from amazon or ebay) and install it onto an old windows laptop. Use the search feature on this forum.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.