1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I bought the MTK 8667 android head unit from AliExpress… need some help please

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by johnerh, Oct 18, 2022.

1. johnerh

johnerh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    As mentioned in the title, I bought an android head unit from AliExpress. I purchased the designated model with take exam 128 GB storage and JBL plus rear camera support.

After about a month, it finally arrived yesterday. I got off work around midnight so I had a choice of either waiting until today and paying someone to do it or stay up all night and do it myself.

As you may have guessed, since I’m writing this early morning, I chose the latter.

After several hours of scratching my head, I ultimately decided the best option was to message the seller. After a little bit of back-and-forth, we’ve determined that he sent me the wrong wiring harness.

That being said, I either have to wait another month for a new harness, or I can reach out to you guys in the trusty, dusty Prius chat in hopes of finding a better option.

Any advice would be very much appreciated! Thanks! IMG_3977.jpg
    IMG_3983.jpg
    IMG_3521.jpg

2. johnerh

johnerh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    IMG_3996.jpg
    this is what the back of my stock Prius had unit looks like. It’s kind of different set of ports. I feel like that would’ve been obvious, but the wiring harness that was included, does not provide any power to the unit.

#2 johnerh, Oct 18, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2022
  3. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi johnerh,
    I have to tell you, every time I start thinking about upgrading my stock head unit in my 2015, I read these threads and see all the hassles it is to get one installed and to function properly. Plug and Play? I haven't seen it yet. Just about everyone has had to either make their own reverse camera jack, steering wheel connector or power line, or all 3. For $300 to $500, you would think all you have to do is "plug and play".

I have seen some less expensive ones in Priuschat that truly did "plug and play", only to fizzle out (start breaking down) after a year or so. However, I am truly leaning towards making the leap and excepting the fact that it will take weeks if not months to make an aftermarket head unit function like my stock one.

johnerh likes this.
  4. johnerh

johnerh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The one I have is an MTK8667 with the physical, touch buttons, and from what I have seen in demonstration videos, it seems to be high-quality. However, the wiring harness that I received did not go correctly with my JBL 2013 unit. The shipper recognized this and sent me a customized wiring harness, however, the wiring harness has not arrived yet.

The one I have is supposed to be plug and play, and when I receive the harness, I will definitely give you an update. Mine is the 8 GB ram and 128 GB internal memory version, and they typically go for about $400 depending on the quality want, and hardware with memory storage.

My package does include the connection for preserving the OEM built-in back up camera. It has all the connections for 4G LTE, SD card hookup, CarPlay & android auto etc.

I will have to provide my own external Lavalier microphone, but I think I’ve already found the correct place to put it.

You can’t really connect your OEM Bluetooth microphone to an aftermarket head unit because the quality will be horrible. I’m debating whether or not I should drill some holes next to the OEM microphone so that audio can pass through the plastic barrier into the microphone receiver.

Next time I get a chance, I’ll send you a picture of what I’m talking about

5. johnerh

johnerh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I recommend that if you were going to be purchasing one of these, you should definitely take your stock head unit out and take plenty of pictures of what your connections look like so that the shipper can give you the appropriate harness

Montgomery likes this.
  6. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Excellent idea!!