1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I can't compress front caliper back in

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by drewbabich, Apr 6, 2016.

1. drewbabich

drewbabich Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So I I'm a dumby and didn't disconnect my battery.

I just put a new front wheel bearing in.

My front caliper piston workedo it's way out and my c clamp isn't pushing it back in like it normally does.

What should I do

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Caliper pistons and bores are these funny animals with such close tolerances that, if the piston came far enough to be out of the bore, it will not go back in unless you are gently working it back in perfectly straight. Set the C clamp aside because force won't help, you can just end up getting the piston cocked and distort things. Open the bleed screw so the fluid has a place to go, and with your fingers just experiment with finding where "perfectly straight" is until the piston slips back in. You should be able to press it at least part way back in with just your fingers. If it gets harder to push the rest of the way in, you can bring back the C clamp, but only after you know the piston is really in the bore and really will slide.

Then bleed the brakes after reassembly.

-Chap

Rebound likes this.
  3. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree with brother ChapmanF, The piston on our cars is really delicate and once completely out, will not go back in unless it is aligned right. Take your time, use your hands, and should find success. I have read a lot about replacing the pads in here and they all said "be careful and delicate". Good luck and let us know how it goes.