1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I can't fill my tank.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tharding100, Apr 3, 2023.

1. tharding100

tharding100 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have read a number of posts regarding this problem and have tried the suggestions, but I am up against a wall and looking for suggestions

I have a 2008 Prius with 185,000 miles. It has always taken gas without any problems, but suddenly, no matter how slowly I pump or how I position the nozzle, the nozzle shuts off after at most .3 gallons. No fault codes, but clearly there is a problem in the evap system. I checked the fuel cut-off valve (per Techinfo Repair manual) and the refuel check valve and both check out fine. I went ahead and dropped the tank and checked the trap cylinder and pump and the carbon canister and again both check out per the Repair Manual. I am not certain about the Fuel Tank Vent Valve because it should throw a code if it is not working and the Repair Manual only lists checks that relate to the fault codes.

Does anyone out there have any ideas as to what I should do next?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Many people have always thought to be this some sort of issue with the bladder that's in the tank if this is a US Canada spec Prius It's like a well tank bladder kind of I don't know much about it I know in Australia and other countries they don't have it so I guess because I don't think the gas tank would be readily available in the States and then if it was I can't imagine the cost It would be probably cheaper to bring a another tank here from somewhere else that takes a real fuel pump doesn't have a bladder etc. I don't think you can just check the bladder and the internals readily

3. tharding100

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As I understand it, the computer monitors for that and I should be getting a code if this were the problem. If that is not true, I hope someone will let me know.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah I guess that's probably so but at what point does it set the mil
    or a code . I haven't looked at the online Toyota manual but I believe there's troubleshooting for that too It seems odd we're the only country I think us in Canada that get this bladder tank I believe everybody else countrywise gets a normal tank with a fuel pump in it no bladder.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Those can be the frustrating jobs, where you're pretty sure you've checked everything the troubleshooting steps told you to check, and there wasn't any smoking gun. When it happens to me, a lot of the time, I need to go back to one of the tests I already did, and rethink how I interpreted it. That might not be the answer in your case though.

I will guess something not working right in the ORVR system for sure. The tank bladder is there all the time, and people do complain about it, but it isn't known for going overnight from 10 gallons to a third of a gallon.

I'm sure there is an explanation. Sometimes you just have to convince yourself that the process is worth following. One idea might be to wire a meter to the vapor pressure sensor and see what that reading does while you are trying to fill. If you know someone with a working guinea-pig Gen 2 Prius who will let you hook a meter to their sensor and compare what happens when they fill, so much the better.

[​IMG]

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Ah so we actually fill the bladder with fuel Not really like a well tank but kind of right In a well tank You're feeling the tank steel and at the top of that there's a bladder that pushes up against the airspace above the water and that's pressurized to a Schrader valve with air to whatever PSI it's supposed to be or you're setting up for and that's that. In the Prius we're actually filling I imagine what would be some sort of a synthetic rubber bladder or flask that's inside of the tank It looks like from the picture anyway.

7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Chap in the picture you posted is the little blue area just outside the bladder marked fuel tank is that really the fuel pump or where is the fuel pump in the diagram Is it inside the bladder or running dry on the outside of the bladder so it's not an in tank pump per SE?

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The fuel pump is outside the bladder, but it's not "running dry"; it's in a separate, non-flexible container inside there, as you see in the drawing, connected by tubing to the bladder so that container is also filled with fuel seeking its level. The fuel level sender is in that separate container too, rather than being inside a floppy bladder.

The dark blue area surrounding the bladder is air space, but unlike a well tank that air space isn't supposed to be sealed off and pressurized all the time. When you're using the engine, it should be easy for fresh air to come in and take up the space as the bladder contracts. When you're refueling, it should be easy for the surrounding air to leave as the bladder expands.

But if something is wrong with that plumbing and the air is stuck there, then it really is like your well tank when you refuel, and like your well tank it might send the fuel back atcha when you take the fill nozzle out.

9. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Are you certain the tank is not already full?
    What indication is showing on the fuel gauge?

Only asking because I've had many people that have disconnected the 12v battery and then freaked out when they reconnected it and the fuel gauge showed only one blinking dot. Several immediately headed to gas station thinking they were in danger of running out of fuel and freaked again when they weren't able to add 8 gallons.

#9 TMR-JWAP, Apr 3, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2023
  10. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Chapman's diagram is for the 04-05 Prius, but it shows most of the components.

There are some minor changes for 06-09 cars (the leak detection pump module replaces the vent solenoid).

I have a smoke machine, so I would pump smoke into the filler neck and start removing parts from the fresh air filter back until "normal" airflow out of the fuel tank is restored.

You might try something similar. Disconnect the fresh air line then add fuel. See if there's an improvement. Keep doing that to see if you can find a section that's causing your restriction.

Could be the pump module or fresh air line. Could be the filler neck or canister. Maybe it's the overflow valve in the furl tank bladder. Screenshot_20230403-225943.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

11. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I think I'll be looking at getting a European or an Australian fuel tank It's happened buddy throw it on a boat to me shouldn't cost much at all if I ever have this problem right now Phil will shoot back when I get to about 8 gallons and then I manually fill it slowly to about 9.3 I'm usually down to close to fumes I'm thinking but I can never get it over 9.3 in the 11 gallon tank I've had it cut off at 3 gallons before but that's just because I didn't have the nozzle situated correctly The minute I fix that it goes straight up to about 8.8 8.2 8.7 somewhere in there and then I might be able to slowly get to 9 9.4 somewhere in there. Generally feeling the tank on my car flashing light to full is about I don't know 4 minutes

12. tharding100

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't have any indication that the gauge is wrong. It has always tied together with my miles driven. After this problem came up I decided to run the car through emissions, which here in Arizona is purely ODB2, so I spent the time to get the tank up to 1/2 full so I could do a drive cycle. The gauge showed that and dropped as it should when I drove to get the tank back to 2 bars so it wuoldn't be too heavy to drop off the car. While I haven't actually weighed the tank, it feels like it has probably the 2 gallons ir so that it showed when it was in the car.

13. tharding100

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The problem I have with this approach is that when the tank is in the car, it is impossible to disconnect anything but the hoses. I am hoping to find the problem with the tank where it is now...sitting on my garage floor. If I don't come up with something soon, I guess I will have to put it back in the car and as you say, find the hose that leads to the bad component that way then take the tank back off to fix it. I will probably give it another day or so before I do all that.

14. tharding100

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do you know of a way to check the components inside the tank itself? If I need to replace the tank, I would prefer to know that now.

15. tharding100

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looking at Mr-Guy-Mann's diagram, I blew air into the tank filler tube at the gas tank. That should expand the bladder and force air out the Trap Canister, the Carbon Canister. and a tiny bit at the pressure sensor. That is exactly what happened. Please correct me if I am wrong, but that seems to me to show the bladder and the roll over valve aren't the problem. Am I missing something here?

16. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    But when you're pumping gas at half or full volume that air is a lot more stout and the volume is higher than blowing maybe try a shop vac turned around on the blow setting like you know a little two horsepower job and not the big rigid 5 or 6 horsepower and see if correspondingly air comes out of all those places again You know it like quadruple the volume because like the others have said it seems like when the bladder is expanding as in filling the air around in the rest of the tank is not able to escape fast enough and it shuts your pump off may create some gurgling in the best stuff spits out at you all that mess.

17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Blowing air into a fuel tank, especially at high volume or pressure, increases the amount of oxygen present in the tank and mixes it aggressively with the gasoline vapor.

It is a thing to avoid.

Shops that test evap systems will have equipment to do pressure tests with pure nitrogen, or something else that will not explosively combine with the fuel.

richard schumacher likes this.
  18. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It does this with several different fill nozzles, at different stations? I ask because a while back I encountered a nozzle which shut off very early no matter what I tried. But the car filled up normally elsewhere. I'm 99% sure you already tried different pumps, but maybe you are one of those people who always goes to the same pump at the same station, and if they did something to it to make it Prius incompatible...

19. tharding100

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah. As I understand it, the bladder isn't supposed to have air in it anyway. I'm thinking of using a gas can to pour a measured amount of gas into the fillet tube of the tank at a reasonable speed and see how the air flow works with that or if the gas bubbles up. If I can't find a problem today, I am going to have to reinstall the tank and try to debug it on the car. You mentioned the vapor pressure sensor and I have two questions about that: (1) is there a way for the vapor sensor to be the problem without it throwing a code and (2) you mentioned trying to put a wire to the vapor pressure sensor to get readings as I try to fill the tank. Do you know which pins I would use to do that?

20. tharding100

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Actually, I think I can use Techstream to get the vapor pressure in real time.