1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I can't find a Limited Prime in Minnesota

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Sablerock, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Sablerock

Sablerock Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Ok, so my husband and I decided we wanted to get a Prius or a Prime as a 3rd vehicle for our family because my SUV and his pickup have a lot of miles on them, and we have 3 kids we are constantly running to hockey, often in different places. So we thought rather than continuing to rack up the miles on our trucks, or rather than trading them in, we'd get a Prius, and then we'd have something different to drive and get better mpg, and still have our paid for trucks for winter. We had a 2015 V for a couple years, which we loved, but I sold it when I bought my SUV. So... as Im researching the 2020 Prius and Prime, and notice I LOVE the styling on the Prime. I know its smaller in the cargo area but Im really hoping I can fit one hockey bag in the back and maybe one on the seat. So Im looking at dealers in Minnesota, and a couple have them on their website, so I contact them so I can go look at it, and they don't actually have them! They put them on their website to try to get you to come in, and order one! SO irritating! I don't want to order one without seeing if I can fit what I need to. They are all like "Well just drive one of the Prius' and if you like it, order the Prime, they are the same thing anyway". THEY ARE SO NOT! OMG. The front and rear are styled different and the size of the cargo is smaller. And I don't want to wait 3 or more months to get the car either. So Now Im searching surrounding states, but not finding much luck finding a Red, White or Black Prime Limited with Black interior. :( I saw someone driving a red one at Sams Club in the parking lot and it was perfect.. Im so jealous.

2. CarlB

CarlB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yes, dealers here aren't too keen on keeping a Prime charged up. No Limiteds locally, would have to order one, wait a few months. Silver lining: get what you want.

Considered heading out east to buy one, drive it back? Better stock out there, I think the states out there offset with a purchase price rebate that the dealers pass through to you. $3500, on top of the $4500 federal incentive. Yes, you can fly out there, buy, get the $3500 credit, drive your new car back. Seriously considering that.

Minnesota: curmudgeonly for tax incentives, nothing that I can see.

3. Sablerock

Sablerock Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Well I found a used 2017 to test the cargo area tonight and the hockey equipment fit! Now just need to find a Prime in stock

bisco likes this.
  4. CarlB

CarlB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    One thing: there are a few LEs and XLEs around town on the lots, to see what you think about the cargo space.

5. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I thought the current Primes have the same rear seat configuration as the Hatchbacks--three across. I know the original Primes had only two seats in the back, though. Not an expert, but that's what I think I saw...AND as for rear cargo area, the floor is what 3-4, maybe more inches higher, not enough to affect a hockey bag I would think, but again, I do not carry hockey bags, only golf bags! So you should be able to get a good idea of the cargo capacity by visiting a local Hatchback at a dealer's lot. Instead of putting one bag on the seat, just fold the rear seat down (there's a 60/40 split) and you will have an elongated cargo area and a single available seat in the back.

6. smyles

smyles Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    As a hockey parent/coach, I'd recommend a regular Prius over Prime if you have to fit more than just one hockey bag; the reduced cargo height becomes very noteable when you load all gear. But if it has to be Prime (and there're many arguments in its favor), then rear seat in 2020 is way more convenient/useful than in prior MY cars.

7. DBLXX

DBLXX Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Find the best price, put down a deposit and fly and drive.

pghyndman and Husker4theSpurs like this.
  8. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't know about hockey bags, but for me PRIME with the rear seats folded down has plenty of cargo space. The rear seats are 60/40 split. You can use a part of the seat as extended trunk space and still have 1 or 2 rear seats for passengers. You can at least get a feeling of the size of the cargo by looking at regular Prius. Just imagine 3" of raised deck on the back cargo area. Good luck.

9. Sablerock

Sablerock Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    We could easily do this because my husband travels everywhere for work, so he could fly there visit his customers and drive it back. What states would qualify, or how do I figure out what the region is that has the $3500 rebate? Thank you

10. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    New England states ... New Jersey too.

11. Sablerock

Sablerock Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    So I found one in Massachusetts, they wouldn’t let us do the paperwork unless we are in person. So we booked a flight there to do the paperwork. Have to fly back home to do the plates in Minnesota and fly back there at a later date to pick it up. Got it all coordinated and were ready to put money down to hold it etc and they won’t hold it for us. Seriously we are going through loops and bounds to get this vehicle and they won’t accept a deposit to hold it. They are like “we have others if it sells”. But I don’t want the others. I want a specific one. So we just fly there and pray. Seriously? Ugh this idea of getting a new car is staring to get to be more work than it’s worth. ☹️

bisco likes this.
  12. smyles

smyles Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Toyota dealers suck. They all live in the past, where the only way to sell a car is to get a customer inside and begin the old routine of bad manager/good salesman bullshit.

do not know, may be there are exceptions, but I haven't met one.

Sablerock likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, don't do anything without a deposit and commitment from the dealer. try new york/new jersey, they seem to be better at it.
    you can also wade through the pricing thread if you have time. there are a lot of good details there with dealers and even sales weasels names.

pghyndman and Sablerock like this.
  14. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    You probably have, but just wanted to check if you had been to the Dealer on 394? I think they are in St.Louis Park, could be Minnetonka though.

Unfortunately Toyota prioritizes CARB states.
    Minnesota just started the process to become a CARB state. If you would share your story with your state reps, it would help a lot.
    They need to hear from people as to why increased availability of the Prime and other plugin cars is needed.

Sablerock likes this.
  15. Sablerock

Sablerock Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    If any wants a blue one with black interior, I found one in Cedar Rapids Iowa. Someone ordered it and fell through. My husband is set on red, white or black so we aren’t grabbing the blue one, at least for now haha. The dealer said full MSRP though.

16. Sablerock

Sablerock Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    It’s a Limited. Forgot to mention that part.

17. CarlB

CarlB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    To check who has the discounts, take major city in a given state, find its zip code. Plug that into Toyota's "Local Incentive" webpage instead of your own, see what comes up for the Primes.

And do check the other dealers/sales guys, perhaps ones who posted here. I'm guessing someone is willing to take a deposit for your money.

18. Northerner

Northerner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have a new Prime Limited purchased in MN. It can be done, but you would need to barter more than I was willing to to get any meaningful discount. You will also need to wait. I test drove an LE and then ordered a Limited. I have not even seen another Prime other than those two.

19. triggerhappy007

triggerhappy007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Base
    I'd stay away from Massachusetts dealers because of the plates thing. Look at other states. I found out about a dealer in RI that had good deals in the prices paid thread. I contacted them and they were able to hold the car for a $500 deposit. I flew up from TX and drove the car home.

Salamander_King likes this.
  20. mister2cool

mister2cool Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It seems that in the northern states, dealers really don't get many Limited and they don't stay around very long. I was the total opposite from you when it comes to color choice.. I only wanted a blue with grey interior and of course there were none around. I really never even got to see a Limited in person, only XLE. Through a friend's friend, one dealer located one matched my ask en-route to a dealer in the next state. There was no ETA which means the car was still being loaded. They worked out a swap with that dealer to secure that car and I had to wait nearly a month for it to arrive.
    I mean.. you might have to travel or wait to get what you want.