1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I changed the oil but not the filter

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by draheim, Mar 19, 2014.

1. neez

neez Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Most rental fleets get rid of their cars below 60k or so miles. So the car just has to last that long.

2. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did everybody miss this (or am I missing something)? Black? That can't be a good thing, especially with low milage. Back in the day, this meant that the oil filter is no longer filtering the oil (not sure if it means the same for these new cars). So, I'd get the oil filter changed at your earliest convenience. If you can't get it done now, check it every day to make sure the oil isn't getting black real fast. I have a feeling that the old oil also felt a little gritty, which isn't good. But I also think that putting the new oil in along with maybe a cup of the old oil won't do too much damage in the real short run, but I'd still get the filter and oil changed as soon as reasonably possible. Don't "save" the oil that you just put in. That's a cost you'll have to chalk up to experience.

Mike