1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I dare you to watch these videos!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Wildkow, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  2. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Well, if the links worked for me, I'd call your dare . . . but then, I've already joined. :rolleyes:

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    3 perfectly dead links.

4. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Doh! Sorry I think they are fixed now here's another one.

Wildkow

5. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Did you just try to convince us to move over to the PC Perspective team? :p

6. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

:eek::eek::eek: NO NO NO :eek::eek::eek:

Actually I'm trying to make one of these vids up with a Prius theme hoping the Mods will allow me to place it on the site somewhere so that we can attract some more team mates.

Wildow

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Since I'm a Conservative in the very literal, Old Fashioned sense (Very fiscally responsible, not flashy, very cheap, etc), I never leave my computer unattended more than 15 mins without powering down, then shutting down the UPS, so it kills all the power-wasting bricks also plugged into it

Folding sounds like an interesting concept. I didn't realize that research institutes were so hard up they had to beg processor time off ordinary folks.

I would just scrounge up hundreds of obsolete and free Mac's and PC's, load Linux, and set up a parallel processing cluster

8. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't think they have a client (program) for that but good idea. Science is always looking for funds to further their research so not spending money on supercomputers to do the number crunching is fiscally conservative. Besides by doing it this way Stanford University has set a new world record of a petaflop in computational power for a single project.

BTW you can have the client running while doing your daily work or at home while browsing, email or games because most programs only use a tiny fraction of the CPU's power. Even if you run one of the power hungry PS3 console’s 24/7, you only use 150-200 watts (the equivalent of two incandescent light bulbs) it would only cost you (last I heard) approximately 10 dollars per month. A PC is much cheaper.

I run the client on my Q6600 PC, a Mac Mini, Two laptops and a PS3 and I have only noticed about a 10-15 dollar increase in my power bill. So if you only ran it 8 hours, a typical work day the cost would be 2-5 dollars, now that’s a bargain! Also the Folding@Home client has its priority set to idle. Therefore, it only uses CPU cycles that are idle and when another program demands the CPU the Folding@Home client steps aside, It's a Win-Win situation how about lending a hand to help cure some horrible diseases?

Wildkow

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You don't need a Cray or similar supercomputer to do work like that. A lot of recent advances in massively networked smaller machines can accomplish almost as much, at much reduced cost. Example, blade machines

There is a program called Pooch that will massively network/process a large number of Mac machines. A government research client of mine is using this approach with great success

Oh, I'm all for curing horrible diseases. There is a lot of work being done at universities on this front, courtesy of various MURI funding programs

As far as the power per FLOP, I would much rather encourage folks to shut down their PC's when not in use. A professionally managed central processing facility will usually be more efficient and reliable

10. Porky Pine

Porky Pine New Member

11. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sigh, I guess I'll have to get used to that I don't think this post attracted anyone interested in curing diseases. :confused:

Wildkow

12. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    :bump:
    Com'on peeps not one person?!? :mad: :eek: :confused:

Wildkow