1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I decided to clean my throttle plate today

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Grim187, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Grim187

Grim187 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It was easy getting the airbox off but once I saw the plate I knew I was going to have to pull the throttle body.

I'm posting because there is so much of a gap in the plate to body that I'm not sure its suppose to be air tight.

the 2nd image is after I cleaned the bottom side (before I pulled it).
    I stripped the throttle plate screws even though I used WD-40 and my full body weight. :(

Prius_Angie likes this.
  2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I assume the engine worked more or less before you removed the throttle body?

The throttle plate has to let a small amount of air into the manifold. There is no idle air valve which acts to bypass the throttle plate.

It's not clear to me why you felt the need to remove the throttle body. I would have been content just rotating the throttle plate 90 degrees by hand, to scrub around the interior and the throttle plate the best I could with a clean cloth soaked in throttle body cleaner.

3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Exactly what I did yesterday with my wife's '07. (among other things like plugs, pcv valve, serpentine belt) Very easy to do. I'd sure hate to drop one of those screws down there. :eek:

4. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've cleaned mine by removing it easier to clean and lube I put socket Extensions in each coolent line and spray down Manifold then shove a reg in there to clean the bottom and I use a brush to clean old gasket and add gasket goo both sides of gasket they get dirty and replace the pcv at the same time

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. Grim187

Grim187 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    image 2 is after a thorough cleaning without removing it. Also, I was concerned about the edge of the plate having buildup on it.

I'm going to do the PCV valve and the hose to it next.

I actually just lifted the hoses toward the top of the inverter and they stoped leaking.

Prius_Angie likes this.
  6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Image 2 looks pretty good to me. If you rotate the throttle plate by hand you can at least clean half of the throttle plate edge. I agree that the other half is not in reach unless the throttle body is removed.

Changing the PCV valve is a good project. (How about the iridum spark plugs?) Your access will be substantially improved if you first remove the sheet metal tray that the windshield wiper motor sits in.

7. Paranormal Rob

Paranormal Rob Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I would get an injection and fuel system service done where they spray into the throttle body. It also cleans the manifold really nice.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    G2 does not use egr like your 2013 so manifold does not need cleaning.
    And most dealers a fuel system service is a can of injector cleaning at double Markup

To the op make sure you lubricate the end spring and don't forget the 10 mm throttle body throat clamp underneath the air cleaner box. If not tight unmetered air will sneak by and car will not run good