1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I discovered the rocking method.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Isaac Zachary, Mar 9, 2021.

1. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So to be honest, I haven't had time to get my Prius completely into working condition this winter and have been driving exclusively the Hybrid Avalon. I do go out a few times a month and start it, put it in drive hold the brake pedal and the accelerator pedal and let it warm up and charge up. I think I need another thermostat since mine kicks in at around 170° or less and then drops down to below 160° before closing again.

Anywho, the reason for the post. Sitting in the same spot allowed ice to build up around the tires. So yesterday I though I would try to back it up a little, but it wouldn't budge. The tires would just spin. So I tried timing the times I blip the accelerator pedal but still couldn't get it to rock out of the ice dips.

Finally, I tried holding the accelerator pedal down a bit and to take the shifter and bump it back and forth between D and R. It worked like a dream, even better than in a car with a manual transmission. I got the car rocking back and forth and before you knew it it was up and out of the ice dips created around the tires.

Hopefully I can soon finish un-bending the metal underneath the driver's side fender so I can get it put back on along with the headlights and bumper and then I should be set for driving around in it.