1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I don't get it...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by jivemastert, Jul 20, 2006.

1. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jim1eye @ Jul 21 2006, 09:58 AM) [snapback]289946[/snapback]</div>
    That's the best answer so far...
    Maybe his parents heard about the brothers here in Chicago area this year, racing each other in WRX's (for some reason in traffic at 5pm), the younger brother miscalculated, hit a van with a family in it, spun around into oncoming traffic, got hit by a small truck. Luckily he was the only one killed, and it was instantaneous. Gave his brother a strong lesson on life though.

Give your kid a Prius and chances are better he'll live to be upset that he can't beat a WRX. Key word live.

About the 149mph Prius (on a closed 3-mile track) - that took a team of Toyota engineers 2 months to do the mods. Lesson #1 - do your racing on a closed track, drive sanely everywhere else, #2 - modifying a Prius for speed isn't easy. People don't buy Prii for racing (why do that, when a WRX is about the same size and price and obviously much better at it from the factory?), so there isn't much after-market interest or research in it.

As I recall, the Prius owner talking about beating a sports car admitted the other driver shifted up way too soon and lugged the engine. The only time I deliberately punched the gas at a light was when I was next to a Hummer. It's so easy to leave them in the dust, even with their single-digit gas mileage.

2. nerfer

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jul 20 2006, 03:55 PM) [snapback]289580[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, but it's still entertaining. Better than letting myself get upset with the political threads, that's for sure!

He's got a tach and a bottle of Nox from his Civic but doesn't know what a ricer is? okay, he slipped up on that one. O/w it's been good.

3. jivemastert

jivemastert New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tnthub @ Jul 21 2006, 10:11 AM) [snapback]289919[/snapback]</div>
    I wuz thinkin about that perticular aspect of things. a copy of one would be pretty tight, but they'd probably end up puttin like a supra motor in it cause they are out! thanks for not being an nice person.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Salsawonder @ Jul 21 2006, 10:22 AM) [snapback]289923[/snapback]</div>
    ROFLMAO!!! :rolleyes: nice person.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jim1eye @ Jul 21 2006, 10:58 AM) [snapback]289946[/snapback]</div>
    nah man not punishin me, jus trying to save some gas money. if i could afford a new car i would but insurance hasnt paid up yet.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(koa @ Jul 21 2006, 01:54 PM) [snapback]290031[/snapback]</div>
    yeah but i'd like to learn. is there somewhere on teh site tha t has the packages??!?!?! my parents were like "suprise heres a slow car!!!" and i wuz like "yeah thats gay" but i gotta make the most of it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Jul 21 2006, 02:59 PM) [snapback]290061[/snapback]</div>
    you sound like my parents, kthx.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Jul 21 2006, 03:12 PM) [snapback]290065[/snapback]</div>
    i didnt know what a ricer is, ok??!?!? i don't even use the web often so duh, like i know what your slang means. i had to buy a tach cause my civic didn't come with one. nice person.

yeah so what it is i'm gettin here is, don't waste my time, wait for insurance to pay and take my check to get a nice new hatch and do a type r swap. at least those people are helpful n not totally rude and insultin. thanks to those of you who helped and f**k you to those who were being sand stuffd vaginas. also thx for showin me how stuck up the hybrid communities is "ehhh, my prius is superior and so i'm going to make fun of the newbs instead of answerin their questions cause i cant get laid and can't spend money on gas. i think i'll hug this tree."

i think i sufferd a lot of abuse fo no reason here and its NOT coo. so whatev. thanks to thos who took me srsly. aight, if i gots any more questons about this thing i'll post a new topic or somethin.

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Dude, i don't think anyone here was trying to be intentionally insulting... We were simply responding you the way you presented yourself from the beginning. If you bothered to read through the site before posting, you would have seen how helpful everyone here is to everyone. I'll be the key difference is that most people here are out of school and working full time jobs, and understand the importance of presenting yourself appropriately. hopefully thats something that you'll be able to pick up on before you go out interviewing for your first job, or you'll have a rough time.

5. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Jul 21 2006, 04:08 PM) [snapback]290088[/snapback]</div>

Very nice response Eagle.

6. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jul 20 2006, 01:55 PM) [snapback]289580[/snapback]</div>
    I warned people not to feed malorn, and look what happened. :rolleyes:

This guy's FAR more entertaining than malorn!

7. nerfer

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tha Master of Jive @ Jul 21 2006, 02:56 PM) [snapback]290085[/snapback]</div>
    Okay, I didn't mean to get in your grill about it, as you say, but I learned about rice-burners from the car mags, not web slang. Maybe your jive doesn't include that, but it didn't seem legit, given that you're up on car mods. Also given the trolls (now that's web slang) that came here after the first thread about the Prius/Viper thing, it definitely gets people's guard up.

As you can tell, the average Prius owner is not a jivin hip young person. Some, but not the average. I don't think I'm surprising anybody there. If we sound like parents, it's because most of us are. So it can be kinda hard for some of us to relate to your style of talk (nothing wrong with it in this context, from my perspective, no job interviews going on here, but it does set you apart to some degree). And we're also realistic - there's mods you can do for minor improvements - but you're never going to smoke a WRX. A stock Outback maybe, WRX no.

If you do make some mods, let us know how that works out. Just be safe, aiight?

8. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you want to go fast and beat all the cars you come up against at the lights, go by yourself a "fast" car. The Prius was not designed to be a boulevard racer. It was designed to promote energy conservation. Why would one like you buy a Prius if you are still racing everyone that pulls up next to you? Grow up or sell the Prius. Oh, and pleasemake sure you are heavily insured; I have a feeling you are going to need it!

9. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Anybody tell him that cutting into anything in ORANGE under the hood will definitely get you somewhere real fast??

10. Drift Motion

Drift Motion RMS13

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    its not hard to chirp the tires...
    go to a red light, wait for traffic to clear, turn the wheel all the way, floor the gas...
    or just make a fast turn while floorin it

its not a race car...so yeah

11. philmcneal

philmcneal Taxi!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    hey dude, instead of chasing speed (which you will evenually sounding like your saving your pennies for a fast ride) why don't you try maximizing the mpg of your slow car... you'd be surprised how much skilll is required than mashing the gas pedal.

or maybe you suck too much to drive for mpg hahah didn't mean to be insulting but some food for thought about "performance".

12. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    if you want a 14s quarter mile.. here's what you gotta do

chuck everything unnecessary in the cabin

take out the batteries, motor, etc

engine swap with something probably above 300hp.. if it'll fit in the engine bay

otherwise, there's not really much you can do :-/ sorry

13. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tha Master of Jive @ Jul 20 2006, 10:14 AM) [snapback]289365[/snapback]</div>
    Ok truth be told I do want my car to go faster but not at the expense of MPG or emissions. If I could have what I want it would be a hand crank that is small, easy to turn and only one turn would give the Prius enough power to last a life time at 200 MPH. Of course we need to get back to reality here.

So you want your Prius to go faster? It can be done and there are several things you can do to accomplish this. First a side note...you don't know what modifications that van had...it could have had nitrous.

Things to make your Prius go faster.

1. Reduce aerodynamic forces.
    a. Full underbelly panel
    b. Remove side mirrors and install light weight cameras and video screens
    c. Make an air spoiler to cover the front wiper blades
    d. Make undercarriage air dams to shift air around the tires
    e. Add font and rear wheel skirts
    f. Rear tail cone like the space shuttle to reduce drag

2. Weight reductions.
    a. Remove all excess weight
    I. passenger seat rear seats
    II. door panels
    III. center consol
    IV. floor mats
    V. carpet/ headliners
    VI. anything else you can think of
    b. Replace existing parts with lighter parts
    I. carbon fiber hood and bumpers
    II. aircraft aluminum nuts and bolts

3. Power output
    a. Improve existing Internal combustion engine performance
    I. turbocharger
    II. lager four exhaust system one per cylinder (aircraft aluminum)
    III. Air raid cool air intake
    IV. Nitrous oxide boost system

b. Improve electric motor performance
    I. Replace existing inverter with the Lexus hybrid inverter to increase from 500 to 600 volts.
    II. Install second AC motor with natural magnates and three zone coils.
    III. Install four motor in wheel, wheels.

c. Install mini twin turbine engines pointing aft in the tail of the car

4. Power storage.
    a. Remove currant battery pack
    b. Install large array of Nano-Lithium-Ion battery pack to operate current Prius motor and the five additional motors you’ve installed.
    c. Install small jet fuel tanks to feed the twin jet engines

You’ve asked an honest question. Here was an honest answer. I hope this was helpful.

Of course if you installed all of these things on your Prius you could probably with fine tuning go from 0 to 60 in about 2 to 3 second. However, you still couldn’t beat my Prius. Because when I race the rules are who can go from point A to point B using the least amount of fuel.

14. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    oooh oooh add some super capacitors with a huge motor and you can put down 1400 lbs of torque... assuming you replace your tires and axle with something that can handle that

15. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What you really should ask yourself is why do you feel the need to race some fool in a van or a wrx for that matter? I feel sorry for you if that's what you feel will make you a man.

Why not take a different approach - how about the fact that you can get 50mpg instead of the 20-30 many other vehicles get. How about the fact that this means extra money in your pocket. Plus, think of the money you save by not wasting it on a ridiculous modifications that the prius doesn't need.

So, the next time a van pulls up next to you and rev's his engine, look over and give him a wave and watch him waste fuel as he speeds off.

The Prius is a great car, can keep up with traffic on the road, merge into traffic easily and if you want can go about 108mph. But it also can get 50mpg and go 500 miles (or more) on 1 tank of gas. How many other cars can do that?

16. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Maytrix @ Jul 22 2006, 08:08 AM) [snapback]290430[/snapback]</div>
    Well said!

However, many cars can do that distance. What they can't do is go 500 miles for about 36 bucks. :D

17. jivemastert

jivemastert New Member

thx for the replys. some things seem possible but som seem like they would be REALLY EXPENSIVE!!!!!! so i don't know if this thing will be faster ever really but it was good to talk about no? mpg isn everythng you know... some people want to go FAST!! somtimes go fast parts improve mpg as long as you dont mash it all ova the place so it is an importnt discussion to have i think. thx to those who are mad serious and helpin a brotha out.

18. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Removing weight is as important as adding horsepower. Basic rule of thumb is for eery 100 pounds of weight reduction you will lower the 1/4 mile ET by one tenth of a second... A lighter car also puts less wear and tear on parts, especially those that are stressed under hard acceleration.

If you put an existing 7 1/2 inch Chevy rear in a Dune buggy it would last "forever" but in a 3600 pound Camaro you will be rebuilding after about 400 strip passes. I know this because I rebuilt mine twice before putting in a Moser 12 bolt to handle the torque.