1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I don't think the Prius is a good long range daily driver

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by rondocap, Dec 9, 2012.

1. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree, there is no problem with the car itself that precludes driving all day for days on end.

Some people may not find it comfortable for a long trip. I find it decent, not the most comfortable car I have for long trip, but plenty good for me and I wouldn't hesitate to drive it across the US and back.

The earlier advice that was given earlier to drive on on trip before buying ne was good advice. You won't necessarily find out if a car is a literal PITA until you have driven it for several hours at once.

WE0H likes this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It is hard to make a "world" car when all parts of the world are different (e.g. in Japan you would drive shorter distances than you would in the US). I have taken it on road trips every year and my commute is short (< 6 miles) so I can't comment on long drives every day. I can see where the Camry Hybrid will have an advantage with its larger seats, more comfortable ride and quieter interior than the Prius.

3. Chris S

Chris S Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I commute a 200 mile round trip and got the car for the economy and size combination, upgrading from Corollas and econoboxes. At first I thought the seats were hard and flat but after a few weeks I had it adjusted to where it's actually kind of comfortable. I've have other cars with, what I thought, were better bolstered seats but now that I look back, the Prius hasn't left me aching when I get out, like the others. I had grumbled about the seats earlier though, but now I almost like them best!

I like the ergonomics and ease of access to the hvac and radio controls, but with my Three, I wish the armrest went a little further forward somehow so that my elbow doesn't end up in the back cup holder. I'm used to it and make it work though.

My other vehicle is a Sienna but my wife and kids like the roominess of the Prius as well as the new-car novelty. We may take it to visit family, a 4-hour trip, mainly as an experiment above saving a little on gas. That will be the true comfort test for them!

4. scott.in.colorado

scott.in.colorado Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Without reading all the responses, I agree, it's not meant for long range driving on a regular basis. After about 2 hours, I'm ready to get out of my 2008 and take a break. However, I really don't mind doing this, as it's nice to stretch my legs a bit. I drive 30-60 minutes to and from work, and it's fine.. but longer than 60 minutes.. does not come easy. I did drive my Prius from CA to CO during a move to CO, and it was not the best 10 hours x 2 days I have ever spent, but I made it and the car did great.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    of course you're right. Sure there are more prius being used for taxis every single day and they're being driven 8 hours a day.... and being driven 200,000 - 300,000 miles. But what ido they know about sitting in a Prius hour after hour.
    ;)
    That being said we've driven our Prius up and back from Montana to Southern California straight through numerous times no comfort issue. The point being everybody is different. Just because there are hundreds and hundreds of Prius drivers with issues with the seats doesn't mean that the other millions and millions of Prius drivers are having issues.

Chris S and xs650 like this.
  6. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I think of the Prius as a car with a first rate top line drivetrain and sitting on it is a 3rd rate body and interior, but I'd rather have that than a first rate body and interior over an old fashion gas guzzling drivetrain, you picks your poison.

mmmodem and Chris S like this.
  7. armoredsaint

armoredsaint Anti-Eco Company Car

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    i agree the seats are terrible, with a weird and canted driving position - it's thin and not padded well. the adjustments are bad. i'm 5'11" and 175 lbs - it's my company car.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm also wondering if there's a difference between cloth and leather seats in terms of padding and seat comfort? I recall finding the leather seats a bit firmer and more comfortable which is why I went for it.

9. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So the op doesn't think the Prius is a good long range car. Fair enough. His opinion.

I think the Ferarri is a totally useless car as I can't take it off road and the seats are uncomfortable and then it only gets 10 mpg. Useless in my opinion. But it's just that! :)

WE0H likes this.
  10. jameskatt

jameskatt Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Memory foam is a bad choice. It becomes hard as you compress it with your weight. It is hard as rock in cold weather.

Compressible gel is a better choice for the seat cushion.

11. armoredsaint

armoredsaint Anti-Eco Company Car

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    the prius is loud as heck too, no isolation from road noise. did they even put any insulation? and again the seats are terrible unless you're 5 foot tall. I'm 5'11" and 175 lbs.

12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, there is some. It's not a lot, since things like that are reserved for the Lexus models. And you can add more yourself. Simple undercoating/lining spray will provide that.

As for the size claim, that's too vague of a comment. Being close to your height & weight, I find it quite comfortable. So, it's more likely a factor of arm/leg length. It could be a matter of preference too.

13. Maneesh

Maneesh New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, there is a problem with the driver alignment with respect to the steering wheel. From my calculations, the steering wheel is off center to the left by at least 1.5 inches, which means you are angled slightly to the left from direction of travel. The problem is once you have figured out what the problem is, it is hard to block it from your mind. The Prius is good for short commutes only, for long commutes it is not recommended because of the poor ergonomic posture. Despite the terrific miles per gallon and other technologies, the basics of driving proper driving position have been compromised, which is why I am seeing a lot of people getting rid of their Prius cars after just a few thousand miles of driving. On the other hand, the Camry's stick around for a long time. The Camry is a better choice in my opinion because long term your back and your health are more important than saving a few hundred dollars per year on gas.

14. rondocap

rondocap Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Very well said maneesh, and I agree.

The Lexus ct200h has a great driving position and it more better for long journeys as well.

iPhone ?

15. PriusTech

PriusTech Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The steering wheel is not off center, and if it was what would it matter? After all it's full on power steering, it's not like your having to yard on the wheel.

Poor ergonomic posture? Not sure what you're talking about. The 2nd gen seat bottom is a little off but not that bad. But the 3rd gen is adjustable and much better. I've put 1000's of long distance miles on my 2nd gen, all you have to do is shift body positions once in a while.

People are probably out of shape physically if a Toyota seat bothers them. Get some exercise once in awhile and you won't have that problem.

So where is it that you've see "a lot of people getting rid of their Prius cars"? They have a premium used value and I haven't seen a lot of people trading out at low mileage.

WE0H and GrumpyCabbie like this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don't much care for the assymetry of the instruments, like the speedo being way off towards centre of dash.

17. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I didn't either but I got used to it and don't really notice anymore. :)

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ Me too, but like a pebble in my shoe. :confused:

19. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Car seating is sooooo subjective. Buying clothes off the shelf is the same thing. If they don't fit you perfectly, it's not that they are made incorrectly. The human body is not a generic size and shape. No two are exactly the same. The only seats that I can think of that are form fitted to the driver are million dollar race cars. So, if you buy a $25-$35 K car you should give it a good test drive and if it doesn't fit you, go on to something that does.

Chris S, hill and ftl like this.
  20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    ....... or ... rather than throw the baby out with the bathwater, try any of the 2 dozen or more, different styles of lumbar /support cushions available.