1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I don't think the Prius is a good long range daily driver

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by rondocap, Dec 9, 2012.

1. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I confess I would hesitate to drive a Prius more than 12,000 miles at a time.

WE0H and Codyroo like this.
  2. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I'm about the same, minus 10lbs, but find no faults with the seats or positioning. I've past the 4yr mark and have little to complain about.

I did get the underbody coating so maybe it helps a bit. FWIW, when I test drove the Prius, the engine drone from the first one was a complete deal-breaker. I went to another dealership and tried the exact one I wanted (Touring) and it's been bliss ever since. So there are sample variations.

3. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    I have tried the CT200H before buying the Prius. It is so cramped in there! But then again, I am 6'1.

I would never survive in the CT even though it is nice and luxurious in there. There's also less leg room in the CT for passengers and rear seat drivers.

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I'm presuming you mean per year :) but yeah ... that's 'because we're both over 6"-4 and that makes a huge difference on comfort.
    "extend my seat to the rescue "

5. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    No, I drive over 30,000 miles a year. I would regret driving over 12,000 miles in one stretch.

WE0H likes this.
  6. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    6 years, 85k miles and climbing as a DD and LDD.

No complaints here.:)

DBCassidy

WE0H likes this.
  7. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Ah, but these are NOT found in local auto parts stores. At least not around here. They seemed to be special order.

Moot point for me though. I don't want some lumbar cushion punting me 3" forward on what is already a small seat guven my very long legs (35" inseam).

8. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The only thing long range about the Prius liftback is the steering wheel that is waayyyyy far away in front of me. And that's after putting my foot on the dash and yanking hard to pull it as close to me as possible.

Yeah, they really put a lot of thought into that design.

No, they slapped it in, checked off the spec sheet and features list and said ... YUP, it's got a telescopic steering wheel.

9. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hell of a drive!!!

10. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I walked 2500 miles, it would talk a hell of a drive to be more of an adventure. (someone else, he spends way less time being lost than I did)

NuttyKat and ftl like this.
  11. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    A friend of mine hiked the Appalachian trail, which is just a little shorter than the Pacific Crest.

How long did the PCT take you, Jimbo?

12. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I walked 155 days and hiked from Campo, CA to Mt Adams, WA I quit to attend 1981 Fall Quarter of school. I was a beast of burden for my older brother.

DtEW and ftl like this.
  13. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sensational !!! Did I spell that right?...?

14. VicVinegar

VicVinegar Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've driven 13k since last July. I'll get some discomfort on a long trip (5+ hours) but my 1-2 hour commuting trips are fine.

I decided to go with lower overall cost of ownership (and acquisition) so I crossed the CT off the list early. Maybe for my next hybrid to keep my HOV plates. By then, hopefully it will be a tad bigger and get more Prius - like fuel economy.

15. burstaneurysm

burstaneurysm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Drove from Chicago to Delaware in October. 830mi, 13 hours, no complaints.
    Did just over 2500 miles in that trip and my wife and I were quite comfortable. She only complained about not being able to recline enough, but the back of the car was full of stuff, so that wasn't the fault of the car.

I do think the memory foam in the Clazzios improved the feel of the seats as well.

16. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OMG, I have only driven my Prius about 1500 miles in the past two years [​IMG] Does that mean it is uncomfortable? Hell no.

Prius is awesome for long haul drives. I drove several of them (rentals) from Minnesota to Florida and back getting mid to upper 40's mpg's driving like a bat out of hell loaded with tons of stuff. I put over 20k miles driving all over the lower 48 states in rental Prii before I bought one for myself. If the car was uncomfortable, do you think I would have dropped $30k plus on one for myself [​IMG]

No doubt a Camry is super comfy but a Prius will kick it's nice person in the mpg department and give you that warm fuzzy feeling [​IMG]

Mike

17. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

It's certainly less comfortable than a limo, and more expensive.

18. ghandi

ghandi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

19. ghandi

ghandi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree....love my Prius...from Torrance to Gilroy California...I5 to 152....46 mpg, coming back 51mpg going up the Grapevine California.....etc...The seat is hard, ...wife doesn't complain....woman have more padding....plus tire noise, wind noise, steering wheel is not up to par....uncomfortable.
    Not made for the long haul....so far it goes like goes like a Champ......no complaints....going to Colorado this summer and see how I hold up....
    Milage reads at 33487.....Destination Redwood City.....it perform well in San Francisco up the Hills. No problem stopping at those steep streets. Over all it performed well

20. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you think the current gen Prius steering wheel is not inline with the seat, you should check out the all-new 2014 Toyota Corolla ... it takes the cake. Holy smacks, the steering column comes from the right. It's clearly seen that the right hand ends up closer than the left when holding the wheel.

And, I'm pretty sure the upcoming 4th generation Prius will be based on this new Corolla chassis,

I wonder what Toyota's excuse is .... 'Um, it's for safety purposes', or 'Um, it turned out that way due to component placement issues', or 'Um, just be glad you have a steering wheel, ok?'

Geez, I look closely at Accord and Civic steering wheel and they are dead on centered and inline with the driver's seats.