1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I don't understand the SCORE

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Fuel Economy' started by alanclarkeau, Jul 7, 2016.

1. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here - it would be 110km/hr MAX - there is one 200km long unrestricted section right in the middle of the country - and it's very remote, and 29hrs drive to get there. Same speed limits here as we had 50 yrs ago when the roads were rough and narrow (or unsealed) and cars had laughable roadworthiness and crashworthiness compared with today's cars.

2. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    In the Gen3, typically the friction brakes are not used down to 15-20km/k when the CHG are is not full and you press more. Gen4 supposedly should be the same...
    But a few things are not really the same in this HSD implementation.

3. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know because it was a mix of highway at 50-60mph, the aforementioned panic highway piece at 70-ish mph, rural secondary roads, and some urban streets.

Italy is part of the EU, right? For the past 10 years I have gone to Turin once or twice a year, which involves travel on the autostrada between Turin and Milan, and elsewhere. Thanks to a camera-and-computer network, there is little speeding on the autostrada: if you get from camera A to camera B faster than you should, a ticket is mailed to you. The limit for cars is either 110 or 130kph, though not all cars go that fast; for trucks or cars with trailers it is 80kph, which is rigidly adhered to.

I would think one could drive at any speed between that of the trucks and the max for cars without issues. Years ago I drove from Stockholm to Freiburg, Germany and back in a Fiat 850 sedan. We were forced to mingle with the trucks because it would burn valves if it was pushed over 100kph (in fact despite our care we had to stop for a valve job on the way home). Apart from being extremely watchful before pulling out of the right lane, traffic was not a problem.

4. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yes, Italy is part of the EU.

In Italy they are introducing more and more the "Tutor", that you mentioned, which not only will fine you if at check-points you go faster than the speed limit (typically 130km/h), but also if your average between 2 check points is higher than the speed limit. This has finally give some peace and quiet on the highways which to many people thought were F1 racing tracks, tailgating those who were overtaking at the speed limit is slightly above and other typical situations.

The issue in Italy though is that too many people don't keep to the most free right lane, considering it for trucks/lorries (even if there are none) or for "losers" - hence the occupy middle lanes, going maybe 100km/h. They are the ones that cause the most grief as you are not allowed to over take them on empty lanes to their right, but only to the left. Not keeping the most free right lane is becoming more often also the issue here in Germany. Drivers simply want to stay left, considering right lanes not "nice" for whatever reason.

What it is allowed though, is to be on the right most lane, and "overtake" to the right, if you maintain the same speed and don't change into it, to over take somebody. Which means, if you are travelling at 130km/h and somebody in the lane left to yours is driving at 100km/h, you don't need to go 2 lanes left to overtake him. Problems is that most don't know this rule and are taking by surprise if you approach them at a relative speed of 30km/h from the right.

Truth is that most think of themselves only and don't understand they are sharing the roads with others.
    In Germany several sections of the Autobahns don't have a speed limit, but being more and more congested, most sections have all sorts of limit - fixed or variable (computer controlled). Moreover the advised speed limit is 120km/h (or 130km/h, I don't remember now) and if you are any faster than that, you are immediately liable in any accident you are involved, even if you were totally right and had no fault.
    Essentially, drive fast at your own risk.

I find driving in the USA in general more relaxing because the highways/freeways have more lanes, are more flat/straight, you can overtake on both sides and in general people drive more or less all at the same speed. There is the occasional "rogue" driver zig-zagging around not thinking that he will be caught easily, but otherwise everything is quite fluid, at least my experience.
    The only thing I found weird, are the sometimes very short access lanes, where you really need to kick down to get up to speed as nobody will change to the left lane to let you in (which is instead required in the EU, to let new cars join in, unless you brake). So you need to reach a high speed, extremely quickly.

With the Tutor in Italy the situation is more relaxing in general and more like the USA and I think the accident rate has decreased enormously (and drivers have finally discovered what the CC is... :D). This is way the authorities and Autostrada licensees are expanding the "Tutor" sections more and more. I wish they had the same in Germany. Driving in Germany is mostly stressful.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The score I think is to coach non-seasoned Prius drivers on how to achieve optimal mileage. IMO, the 'cruise" part is the one you want to always get 5 bars. This means you're gliding properly (if you're P&G'ing). Brake.. 4 or 5 is what I target.

Brake sooner :). It might be difficult in Germany but basically fill the CHG bar to about 80%-90% and hold it all the way to a stop. I cannot verify this but I suspect engaging the friction brakes will deduct from your score.

Yup. If you use "Split Screen" for the speedometer, you can put the HSI next to the speedo and free up the MID for something else (or put HSI on the HUD)

I think that's the general accepted idea. You probably haven't. Our 2005 Prius with 245,000km still had the original brake pads when we traded it in. It wasn't a highway car (some people say they haven't changed their brake pads on their regular car but that's because most of the mileage was on the highway).

It's an attitude problem. It's "if I'm on the right lane, I'm telling the world that I'm a slow driver" so therefore psychologically, staying in the middle or left lane makes them feel like they're not the ones slowing traffic down.

The signs here used to read "Slow traffic keep right". Now they say "Keep right except to pass" to play into human psychology. The new local law says if there are 5 cars lined up behind you in the left lane on a road > 80km/h speed limit that was two lanes, you can be ticketed.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  6. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    When I do that it still doesn't go up. It seems I need to fill it just a bit and brake very long to get to 4/5 spots. Gliding and even acceleration are always 4 or even 5 bars.

I am currently keeping the HSI in the right MFD/screen because it shows when the car is in EV mode, the HUD one doesn't and in that case the only way is to look for the instantaneous fuel consumption in the left odometer/MFD screen.
    I think I will soon put some other screen in the right one as you proposed, and like I did in Gen3, the HUD will soon show just the speed. The best way to increase MPG is to lock for the traffic ahead and drive as smoothly as possible. In the left MFD screen I will either keep the fuel consumption or the HSI bar, and likely not the battery level. I don't know - we will see what I will reckon to be most useful.

I had to change the brake discs and pads at 80.000km because of salt that made them rust before hand. I am still not sure if they played on me to simply change them well before hand or not. But if you drive 180km/h on the autobahn at times, and they tell you they are rusty (and I could see that myself) and they brake less than optimally, I do change them... :)

Some countries seem to have enlightened leaders and managers. I should maybe move to Canada.
    In Germany there are only signs that tell you to buckle up and slow down (because Jimmy is waiting home for you; actually your wife and daughter, not son).

And in Italy they write more about not talking on the phone, and promotions for highway payment transponders and crap like that. While in the meantime drivers merrily drive underneath such signs talking on the phone, and counting the coins to pay cash at the exit (there is toll on all highways in italy - you can pay for free with credit cards, but that is too far fetched of a concept for my fellow nationals and requires a bank account which would expose too much the taxes they are not paying; and I could add 2-3 more other reasons).

Writing to "keep right", not a blip anywhere in both countries.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, you do have to brake for quite a distance since it is light braking.

That could work.

Lol. Fair enough. Fortunately (?) we don't have to deal with those types of speeds here. 120km/h is the max on some highways.

Not to mention, handsome :cool:

LOL. And here, our CC are both chipped and wireless. (i.e. you can use a pin or you can just tap and go). No more signature required.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  8. RoadNoise

RoadNoise Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    In my brief experience, coasting before braking appears to play a part in netting 5 bars. The longer the better. Energy saved by coasting will always be greater than regenerative braking can produce.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  9. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Did you always have the sheep skin on the bench?

alanclarkeau likes this.
  10. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it's a leather bench which is quite nice by itself, but I find I don't stick to it if the temperature is 35 and humidity is 90%. Not the problem at the moment, the morning temperatures are about 15 deg inside (10 out) - it's winter.

On the subject of lambswool - I put lambswool seat covers on Samantha last week - and I'm sure the seat is more comfortable now.