1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured I don't want an EV. I want an affordable plug-in hybrid that doesn't look stupid. Rocket science?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by SRQ, Dec 24, 2023.

1. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's something I never understood. You spent tens of thousands of dollars on a vehicle that is literally different in every aspect, except maybe how you turn the steering wheel (and even that one goes out the door with the Cybertruck) and yet, don't bother reading its owner manual to get the best use out of it.

Trollbait and Louis19 like this.
  2. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    • I'm divided about home charging. I can charge off of 120V 12A and that would probably be enough for me, at least during the summer.
    • Getting a 240V EVSE is kind of hard when you rent like I do.
    • But we haven't had a DCQC station anywhere around here, although there is one coming soon, at the local liquor store. Which doesn't help me any as I don't drink.
    I'm glad it's working out for you, but stuff like that will make me write off buying a Tesla. I'm already fed up with this Avalon and it's cold weather anti-design.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
  4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If they told Autopilot they were going to a Supercharger, the car would preheat the battery on the ride over.

Louis19 and hill like this.
  5. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Doesn't even have to use Autopilot. Just enter it in the navigation and it will start preheating so the battery pack is at optimum temperature for a
    DCFC, as long as the distance/time between when you enter it on the navigation and the supercharger is long enough.

Louis19 likes this.
  6. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ha I thought I wouldn't put more than 2,000 miles a year when I purchased my truck when I retired. Little did I know. Trips to the lumber yard for my many projects, metal recycling (cleaning up the homestead) where they gave me cash for my unwanted piles of stuff, hauling logs from trees on relatives' properties for the wood stove, fetching mulch and plants for my significant other, grandkid hauling back and forth to events and school, and the occasional trip to hiking trails all ended up putting on about 4,000 miles a year so far. I purchased the second trim from the bottom was more than I needed but mostly I purchased for the eventual trade-in value. $32k minus my PP trade-in ended up financing $8K at a time when a used truck was going for about the same or only slightly less. Still have the NXh for running around too.

Salamander_King likes this.
  7. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Friend of ours had her late husband's 2014 GMC pickup extended bed to sell. It had only 6kmiles on it. She was asking low KBB trade in value, $15k. Great price, but I didn't buy it. Even with only 6kmi on it, 10 yrs old underbody was already rusty. If it was Toyota, I probably bought it. If I buy an used truck I don't want to spend any more money on it. Just use it till it dies as a disposable car. $15k is a bit too much for that.