1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I finally get it

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by brick, May 12, 2016.

1. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Me - all the way down and all the way back. Just have to fine tune the "recline" postion and I'm good. I do wish the car had seat memory though.

2. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Your Four model has a power seat? I'm sure it can be refined much better than my manual. My Camry had a very nice power seat.

3. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    yes, driver side power seat. - Not nearly as nice as my Avalon hybrid's seats.

4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It doesn't sound stupid. No one should have to feel uncomfortable in their own car unless they just can't afford or find anything that does fit.
    I don't know how you tolerated 5 1/2 years in a 2007 Prius being 6'2" tall. Somewhere, someone objectively knows the max driver height the gen2 Prius was designed for and it couldn't be over 6 ft IMO. I'd guess about 5'9" tops. Not much headroom for a 6 fter there and even if you can fit, you're looking forward up near the sun visors. Others would lean way back to get lower and reach to the moon to steer.

The gen3 is better, but like said earlier, the seat is mounted fairly high and therefore doesn't lower much as needed for 6ft + drivers. Gen4 changes all that. Gen4 seat lowers to a very low position, as in Honda Civic low if you want. And the steering wheel scopes out pretty well.
    I would like to see a bit longer or adjustable seat bottom cushion because the leg support for me mostly from the side bolsters.

#24 cycledrum, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
  5. fdf

fdf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've read this thread with great interest. I feel like I could have written much of it!

I've known people who are very tall, and it seems they just get used to being uncomfortable in lots of situations. But I'm just 6 feet and half an inch, so I don't expect to be uncomfortable, yet in a lot of cars I am.

I now better understand why some taller people like a lower seat -- they're probably talking about the back of the seat. Here's my preference from best to worst:

Best: Entire seat is high and not reclined. I had a Ford Explorer with "thigh support": the front part of the seat cushion slid forward to support longer legs. My experience is a vehicle that allows for such a vertical position also allows for a fair amount of optional reclining. But NOT the other way around -- starting with a short vehicle with a reclined seat, there's not enough head room to allow for any more verticality.

2nd Best: The front of the seat is high, but the back is low or can be lowered ('16 Prius). This can be comfortable, especially on long trips, but there are several pitfalls. If the entire seat pitches back, including the seat back, one may feel relaxed, but not as well in control. As a result of the back reclining, the steering wheel may be too far away, causing sore neck and shoulders from reaching way out. If there's not a telescoping steering wheel, it may be possible to position the seat back more vertically (what I do in my '07 Prius), but this isn't ideal.

Worst: The front / entire seat is low.

I'm very eager to sit in a '17 Kia Niro. Is anyone else? There aren't many members over on "kianiroforum," but anyone interested should have a look. I'm posting over there as "07Prius." See: Any Other Prius Owners Here? and Toyota Prius V vs. Kia Niro.