1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I finally ordered HID headlights... Some questions.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by That_Prius_Car, Jan 2, 2016.

1. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So today I ordered a 35w slim AC ballast 6000k HID kit from Amazon for my 2015 Prius. She now has 7,500 miles by the way! Hoping the light is brighter, with a better wider range and also matches the LED running lights, and the parking lights I swapped out. At the moment, I have Sylvania SilverStar Ultra's that are a little brighter than the stock bulbs they replaced. I'm so excited to have finally ordered this HID kit, but what I'm wondering is if the 35w kit will be much brighter than my current stock halogens or if I should have gotten the 55w?

The photo I attached below shows the color difference in the LED parking light which is a (~6000k) white/blue and the halogen which is (4200k) yellowish/white.

I like the idea of cutting down energy consumption, but I don't want to get these 35w HID's and not be able to tell a difference in lighting range and width.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. cheizy

cheizy Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You will notice a significant change in light output when changing to HID's from your halogens (well worth it in my opinion). Also, you actually will consume less energy with the 35w HID's than the 55w Halogens ;).

I actually have 50w HID's, and do not notice that big of a difference between 35w to 50w. You can tell a difference but its not night and day like going from Halogens to HID's.

That_Prius_Car likes this.
  3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Brighter is not necessarily better regarding 35w to 50w HIDs. Some say a really bright foreground will constrict your pupils and decrease your night vision, similar to the reason why glare off fog will decrease your vision.

SCH-I535 ?

That_Prius_Car and Dylan Doxey like this.
  4. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good. I was worried I'd install them and turn them on and not notice a difference. (Besides the color). The brand of HID I bought is Innovited, they're on Amazon and have good reviews. 4.4/5 out of almost 400 reviews. They were on sale for cheap (not too cheap, but cheap.) I Watched videos on YouTube & this dude has had them in his truck for two years and says he hasn't had any issues, and light/color seems to be the same after two years.

Also, thanks for the clarification. I just wanted to know if I would still notice an improvement going from stock halogen to 35w HID or I should have went with the 50-55w HID's. But I liked the idea of cutting down energy consumption, so I just chose the 35w. SO EXCITED!

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have innovited ballasts on our Prius with these bulbs in 4300K color temperature:

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=252064822118&alt=web

These bulbs are good quality. I replaced the bulbs on my Camry with them as well. The Camry's HID kit was the OPT7 35w AC Bolt kit from Amazon, but the 5000K bulbs that came with it was too blue for my taste. The 4300K temp is perfect for me.

SCH-I535 ?

6. andino

andino Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    In case you are still unsure if you should stick to 35w, I have run both in my car and there's little difference from 35w to 55w. 55w ballasts will also shift the color of bulbs down by about 500K or so. OEM equipped cars come with 35w ballasts over 55w because there's diminishing returns after 35w.

7. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I got them today, installed them this evening. WOW! What I difference! I'm so pleased with the product and light output. I used 3M super sticky moulding double sided tape to mount the ballasts inside the finders... Hope that they hold up. Here's a photo of new HID v.s. old Halogen.

Attached Files:

CoolPrius, Johnsk93 and cheizy like this.
  8. azzieo

azzieo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Congrats Austin! Could you please add a link to the product on Amazon, and let me know if you needed to buy any extra stuff etc? Thanks!

9. Drewintoledo

Drewintoledo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    A simple search on Amazon for 35w HID 6000k yeilds the following with the same reviews/stars he mentions:

#9 Drewintoledo, Jan 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  10. Zipsta

Zipsta Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How are the HID kit holding up? I'm interested in this HID kit, but have one question. Does it produce ground shadows? See picture below.

GroundShadow-Comparison.png

Z.

11. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No ground shadows from what I can tell. Lights are still working great. I kind of want more brightness, but maybe it's because I'm used to them now. Other people who ride with me comment on how nice they light up the road. I heard brightness can vary depending on the quality of the bulb? Thought about buying some high quality bulbs to swap when these ones bite the dust. Considering the whole kit was only around $40.00, who knows about these bulbs, but they're still working fine. No flickering, no weird light colors. Maybe I'm spoiled by the LED headlights my rental 2015 Prius c had which were amazing. Truly great lights.

Anyways, here's some photos.

Attached Files:

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Not too shabby!
    Nrxt rev .... LED's ?
    you'll never look back