1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I found a pair of Burrowing Owls on one of our properties!

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by F8L, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My parents' house is on a canyon. When we first moved in you could find horny toads (horned lizards) in the back yard. They disappeared within a few years. They don't like people. But for over a decade there were a family of quail that used to sit on the back fence every spring. They're gone now too. I expect when the coyotes moved in. We still see red-tailed hawks and alligator lizards. There is the occasional oppossum, squirrel or gopher. Once there was a rattlesnake when we were young, and there is always the threat, but no one has seen one in years and years. There used to be a king snake that lived under our playhouse and kept the garden insects down. No more. Haven't seen a gopher snake in years either.

I think I miss the quail the most. I remember we used to sit in the living room at dusk and watch Mr and Mrs. Quail and the babies sit on the fence as the sun set.

There is a little red fox that occasionally cuts through my parents' back yard. My Dad has seen him up in the treehouse looking down occasionally. There was evidence he was sleeping on the roof when they re-roofed a few years back. And we suspect...he sleeps in the dog's coolaroo bed after they go to bed and then gets up and leaves before they let the dog out in the morning. That's some lucky fox with a nice cushy bed to sleep on!

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That was so cute. :) I was smiling while reading it. Except that they are no longer there to enjoy. :(

3. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're so sweet! :) Thank you.

Abq Richard, Thanks for the story. It seems like burrowing owls are known for not really fearing humans. In my situation they do not like to be approached so it is hard for me to get pics. :( From what I have read the Athene cunicularia populations have plummeted in the last few decades so when people remember them being very abundant in years past the situation has since changed. Sooooo if you see one tilting it's funny little round head in your direction, stare at him back and thank him for the opportunity to enjoy his company for who knows how long they'll be around. I guess that can be applied to any creature, including ourselves. Enjoy all the little things while you can. :)

4. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I would venture a guess it's more that they don't like what people do rather than that they don't like people....like removing their food source for one.

5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree! Horny Lizards and I share a common ancestor and I know I get downright hateful when a human takes away my food source so I can imagine the lizards feeling the same way. :mad:

6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Some will like it better without the 'motivational poster' frame :p

Attached Files:

7. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The owls are entitiled to their opinion. They should not be censored.

8. Abq Richard

Abq Richard New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Actually, Sam, this is a case where development does not seem to have driven out the critters and may even provide more useful habitat. Roadrunners are still a common neighborhood bird in developed areas. They are quite tolerant of people; sometimes then will walk right up to you. They must be tough, too, to hold their own against the neighborhood cats. So far this year, I've found a spotted towhee and two mourning doves on my little lot presumably done in by cats, but the roadrunners do not appear to be affected.

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Actually, we didn't mess with their food source at all. That part of the canyon was beyond our property line and left as is.

However, I suspect they didn't like us picking them up and rubbing their bellys. They always had this indignant look on their faces, barely tolerating the petting. We didn't have any pets so it was only the occasional horned toad or alligator lizard. The lizards are still around, after almost 50 years. Despite the fact we've had several dogs off and on. My Dad built plenty of concrete block walls for them to sun on, there's a sprinkler system for the occasional shower and plenty of landscaping to live, hide and eat.

It's been a love/hate relationship between my Dad and the wildlife. The opposums drive him crazy, but he respects them. At least they come back the next night to finish the same peach they started eating. But it really burns him to find nothing but a pit hanging on the tree. Once he found two babies in the yard. He trapped them in a milk crate and threatened to shoot them with his gun. He threatened to do this all day. And then my Mother made him let them go in the canyon.

My Dad complains about the birds or squirrels or something eating the whatever. But he grows so much we can't eat it all. They put baskets out on the sidewalk for people to take what they want. And there's still enough for the wildlife. I think it's like titheing. You figure on a 10% donation to nature and everyone eats and everyone is happy.

(Personally, I think the opposums, birds, foxes, etc all get together and compare notes on which places in the neighborhood have good eats with the least retaliation. I think my parents yard makes the top of a lot of their lists.)

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just thought I'd add an update to this old thread. :)

We found a single burrowing owl living in an old rusted irrigation pipe on another preserve approx. 2 miles from the preserve listed in this thread. I talked with one of our contract biologists (Williams Wildlands Consulting) and Brian mentioned that every time he has seen an owl living in such conditions they generally don't stay year-round and will levae the site by summer. Considering the pipe is above ground and subject to much heat I can't blame the little guys.

Sooo on Monday we decided to create an artificial burrowing owl nest in the hopes that when he/she comes back they will find the nest a suitable replacement for the rusty pipe and take up permanent residence. :)

Here is a picture of the owl and some of the work we did on the nest.

The owl we hope will come back to the preserve later this year and use the nest site. :)
    [​IMG]

A better view of the nest layout
    [​IMG]

Americorps Intern and 2 Sierra College student volunteers hard at work. The guy on the right is my best friend and budding botanist.
    [​IMG]

Here is a view of the actual nest. It is a generic "valve box" that can be puchased from LOWES or Home Depot for about $33. The tunnel is 4" perforated corrugated tubing (2 10' lengths). I inserted a piece of 2" PVC into the valve box and secured it with large screws on the inside and outside of the box. This tub can be uncaped and a small "critter cam" can be fished down the tube on a thin rod and you can view the owls without much disturbance. This will greatly enhance future monitoring efforts.

[​IMG]

I don't have pictures of the final product yet because I have to find some large rocks to pile up around the PVC tube to effectively hide it from human vandalism and protect it from vandals of the bovine kind. I also have to purchase 2 6" cinder blocks to secure the 2 entrance holes and cover those up with dirt. I'll add more pics when finish. :)