1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I found the missing 4" (vertical) in the trunk. It is below the battery.

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by RonMc5, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't speak for everyone else but I think we get that, there was a discussion about whether it needed some additional airflow over the exterior, although IMHO that now seems less likely. But your details about the blowers are certainly very enlightening and appreciated.

If I understand correctly you are saying that the four inch tall open area is nearly the size of the battery, correct? In your original photo it seems that the battery extends a few inches past the opening, at least in that direction, presumably that is where the battery rests and is attached, and the same thing on the other end of the battery, is that correct?

If so then it's a question of did they create that space specifically for additional cooling, or did the space already exist and they just couldn't design a battery that would fit in it, or did they have some other unknown reason for placing the battery where it is thus leaving wasted space below it.

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Creepy Factor?

3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The round space sure looks like the spare tire space on my Gen 4. They likely used the same chassis for the Prime.

jaqueh likes this.
  4. So, if I understand the discussion, the "purpose" of having that few-inch gap under the battery is to allow air ventilation, as an alternative to liquid cooling, because air cooling requires less equipment (less weight, so less energy needed to transport the vehicle) and is less expensive, and this was the compromise that Toyota chose to go with.

5. jaqueh

jaqueh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    No. That’s just a theory that is more just a rationalization of Toyota not doing anything different in the trunk to repurpose the space used for the Gen 4’s spare.

Trollbait likes this.
  6. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Gen 4 is far lower-slung than a Fit, though, which reduces available space for a fuel tank down there.

wjtracy and Trollbait like this.
  7. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    The space is likely to keep the battery off the pan during a collision any other reason is probably silly
    (But still possible)

8. jaqueh

jaqueh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What?

9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Don't forget, a precedent had been established for mid-cycle updates. Room to grow when cost justifies is a good idea.

Also, don't forget about weight & safety. Simply cramming in more battery because room is available doesn't make it a good idea.

#89 john1701a, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  10. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't think most people here want more battery, they want more efficient use of the available space, to get a more useful cargo area.

bisco, jaqueh, Tideland Prius and 2 others like this.
  11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Prime uses the chassis of the gen4 with no modifications. That space is for a spare tire. Earlier Prime designs may have placed the battery in that depression or not, but if so, that design was axed for having too short of an EV range.

The air cooling takes place within the battery case. Some heat will be given off through the case, but being in direct contact with the metal frame might be more effective for that than air.

Air cooling is cheaper and lighter than liquid, but the packs need to be bulkier to allow adequate airflow with in them, doesn't provide any heating on its own, and the cooling is less effective over all. These are fine trade offs for a PHEV of a range like the Prime's; the Ioniq PHEV and Energis also use air cooling. PHEVs cost more than a BEV because of the ICE and all, so you want to cut costs where you can, and there is the ICE to get you around if the battery ever gets too hot.

The compromise Toyota made all has to do with their choice to not making any modifications to the gen4 chassis and fuel tank and keeping the traction battery in one piece.

This is just another rationalization. A collision of the rear is going to come at the battery from the side, not the bottom. As for debris hitting the under carriage, there is already a sizable gap between the road and that bottom panel to make room for the exhaust and suspension. Considering the energy that any debris would need to pierce that panel would mean such would only happen real the car is moving forward. This would make the gas tank more likely to be hit. The cases of the Tesla's all had the battery damaged in front of the passenger cabin.

jaqueh, E-GINO and Prodigyplace like this.
  12. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't need more useful cargo area (you probably meant "volume"), but a flat cargo area when the seats are folded would make the existing volume easier to use and more useful. Further, if that space under the battery were somehow accessible, that would be fantastic for what I used my underfloor tub in my 2004 - hiding expensive things like laptops when I'm carrying them.

13. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Turns out, what we have from Prime works fine for that.

We've been surprised just how practical it has been, considering the first impression leads you to believe it's really small.

14. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Where do you hide them? There's absolutely no place to put my laptop in a Prime that is out of sight.

15. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    With the cover retracted, both backpacks with laptops fit, along with a long rubbermaid bin for most stuff

16. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Oh, the tonneau cover. To me, that thing says, "I'm hiding something expensive, please break in and see what it might be." The thing I liked about the underfloor bin was that the entire back looked completely empty even when it was housing $10k in electronics.

Prius Maximus likes this.
  17. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Since mine is always covering the cargo area, I never think of it that way.

GT4Prius and pilotgrrl like this.
  18. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    right...to hide the battery and retain space we probably gotta go back to a Gen3 bulbous shape

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ditto. My tonneau cover is nearly always extended whether it's empty or not.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  20. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    And mine is nearly always in my garage.