1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I Gave up on Coastaletech today... BAD Service..

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by georgekessel, Sep 21, 2006.

1. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(picadog @ Sep 25 2006, 12:17 PM) [snapback]324765[/snapback]</div>
    Similar experience here. In a time of heavy negative feedback I ordered the hitch and it arrived within 7 days, but with a gigantic hole in the box. Thank goodness the hitch is like a harder than a rock. My only wish is that they add some kind of bubble wrap around the hitch to protect its paint during shipment. :)

Edit: I purposely ordered Coastaltech's hitch because it doesn't have some of the problems of the Curt (melting rear bumper lip).

2. LouieNet

LouieNet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I ended up calling back just now instead of Monday like I said. I had an experience that showed that the perception of CoastalEtech's level of customer service has greatly increased with me....
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Nov 12 2006, 08:17 AM) [snapback]347821[/snapback]</div>
    Funny you mentioned that. The reason I called was that I had broken off the pin as I was inserting it into the block/plug. I looked at a couple shops in the SF Bay Area, and couldn't find another matching pin that I could crimp on. (And even if I had found the pin, I don't have the right crimp tool.) So I called up to ask to see if CoastalEtech would crimp a new pin onto a wire for me and drop it into the mail so I can just attach it to my existing wire.

First of all, I got through on the phone and spoke with a live person. Aside from the last time I called them, it was tough getting a hold of someone over the past 2 years. (Maybe the trick is to call them from 10-11 am eastern time?)

Second, after I explained my dilemma and offer to pay them, they offered to just send me a whole new unit today at no charge as an act of exceptional customer service. That was more than I could have hoped for. I didn't even have to give a shipping address because they were able to look up my name in their customer database.

At this point, I recommend CoastalEtech for the products that they offer. It appears that they have enough stock to keep up with demand. They are able get to the high level of customer service now that many previous customers did not experience in the past. And I hope that their customer database means that they won't lose another order ever again.

Louie

3. georgekessel

georgekessel Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LouieNet @ Nov 14 2006, 09:33 AM) [snapback]348732[/snapback]</div>
    Louie, to be honest I kind of wonder if you are lying and maybe just trying to do a faux post for Coastal. Just to check I tried calling them again just now and magically NOBODY ANSWERED AS USUAL.

Either you are the luckiest guy on earth or you are just putting up a faux post to try and stop the bleeding for Dave....

I think the latter (sorry).

4. LouieNet

LouieNet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ Nov 12 2006, 06:24 PM) [snapback]348005[/snapback]</div>
    What do you mean by better? I don't know how good their camera is. I'm just using a ~$60 Radio Shack color security camera. It's pretty lousy after dark but works fine during daylight. I'm also using a Radio Shack TV mounted on my dash, and not going through the MFD. The camera is mounted just inside the lower rear window and not on the license plate though.
    [/b][/quote]
    Thanks for the input, Dave. I don't know the specs on the CoastalEtech camera. I suppose I can just call them. :)

I'm hoping for a low-lux camera to assist in parking. I'm also thinking of mounting a different wide-angle camera that points straight back. (No, I wouldn't rely on it for reverse driving. :) )

At this point though, I'm going to investigate buying a new camera for the 2006 Prius to put into my 2004. Anyone seen or heard of someone doing that?

Louie

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ecojosh @ Nov 14 2006, 08:43 AM) [snapback]348739[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm for real. I will ding someone for doing a bad job. And at the same time, I believe in crediting someone when they are doing a good job.

I'm not sure what you'll need from me to convince you of it. You want a pix of my EV kit with the broken pin? I brought it with me on my LA business trip to show my co-worker the kit and the instructions for both EV & Lockpick. (He also drove his Prius down for our LA trip. All the others who are coming down for the maintenance work are flying.)

Louie

5. georgekessel

georgekessel Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Tell ya what

I just tried calling yet again and still no answer - only machine where I left yet another message.

Why don't you try calling right now and see if you magically somehow get through.

Post the results please.....

6. LouieNet

LouieNet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ecojosh @ Nov 14 2006, 09:01 AM) [snapback]348753[/snapback]</div>
    Guess my luck ran out. No one picked up, and I didn't wait for their answering machine/service. But the only thing it proves is that I've had the best luck when I call during the first hour of their work day.

Louie

EDIT: P.S. Look, I'm not saying that they don't have room to improve. Clearly, customer satisfaction would increase an order of magnitude if they can manage to answer every phone call. And it would bump it up to another level if they can provide a support line to give priority to customers who experience issues like the one you had. I'm sorry you had such a bad time. But for this thread, I wanted to highlight the improvements I've seen so readers have more info when making their purchase decision. I had forgotten to mention that where in the past there was no email confirmation with online orders, now customers get an email confirmation receipt with an order number. Clearly an improvement.

7. georgekessel

georgekessel Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    OK so maybe everyone should note to call between 9am and 10am EST and maybe you'll get lucky and they will answer ....

That's some GREAT customer service, wow, maybe I can try that for my business too

8. LouieNet

LouieNet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ecojosh @ Nov 14 2006, 10:34 AM) [snapback]348842[/snapback]</div>
    FYI, I noted earlier that I called between 10 and 11 AM EST, but I didn't state that 10 AM is when they open. Not 9 AM.

9. Karkus

Karkus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I had a resonably good experience with support on my EV kit. I installed it, but it didn't work. I emailed, and they replied a day later. Then I called (because I had more questions) and they did a good job of answering my questions. Now the EV works.

However, while the instructions were very thorough, the one thing the instructions don't mention is how tight the space is. I have small hands and it still took half an hour (and bloody knuckles) to get the 3 connections made.

10. lytthans

lytthans Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have purchased an XM module and a hitch from CoastalTech, and found their service very good. Several e-mails to them were answered promptly, and the shipments arrived in short order. Of course that was a couple of months ago, and things may have changed for the worse.

11. arik500

arik500 New Member

I am in the same boat as you - manual operation does not work and coastal tech does not help you out.
    I got one email back from them after over 20 emails and a dozen phone calls that said "send your unit back for refund" (like i will ever see the refund- see other posts of not getting refunds)
    I am wanting to try the gen3 to see if this corrects the problem but I have been blocked by the coastaltech site.
    It seems that if you make a complaint about their product, they block you from their site. What a way to handle business???

12. greenani

greenani New Member

Mmmmm, I don't get it. Every time I've emailed or called (except once) they've answered. I've bought and installed a lot of their mods, including the EV Mode, which didn't work and was replaced by them within a week.

13. bps

bps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hello Everyone,

I ordered a Coastal Hitch a couple of weeks ago and it was delivered promptly with great customer service (notification of shipping, tracking, etc.), and looks like a great product.

No issues here -- they're A+ in my book!

Bryan

14. georgekessel

georgekessel Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bps @ May 24 2007, 03:03 AM) [snapback]448907[/snapback]</div>
    Did they offer you a discount to say that?

15. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

i was a bit worried about ordering from coastaletech after reading this and the other thread... however my order was placed and recieved and installed.... all went fine.... i caused a glitch by splitting my order.... my credit card claimed fraud :huh: but i had an email before i ever got home.... i wrote back saying all was fine... my stuff all went out the next day... AND my refund for the difference in shipping two orders instead of one was refunded promptly with an email telling me it was done....

no i didn't not get paid to say this.... no i don't know these people..... i just had a good experience and want people to know that whatever problems they had, seem to be fixed!

16. georgekessel

georgekessel Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desertbriez @ Jun 5 2007, 09:54 AM) [snapback]455823[/snapback]</div>
    That's very good to hear. However I am having an ongoing issue with my Coastal mods. There is some sort of conflict happening between the EV mode switch and my Bluetooth. I had to unplug my EV mode thing to get my bluetooth to work properly. Then I reinstalled it a week later and everything seemed OK -but then my doors would keep re-locking every 15 minutes or so (I also have the Coastal door lock kit).

So I experimented by moving the place where the "board" sits for each of those mods and finally found that if I have them up high out of the way of the wires everything seems to work OK. However I dont know how long this will last before something starts malfunctioning again.

Has anyone else had bluetooth issues relating to one of the Coastal mods? My bluetooth would simply not auto-connect until I removed the EV mod (I would have to re-connect manually every time).

17. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ecojosh @ Jun 5 2007, 01:02 PM) [snapback]455827[/snapback]</div>
    That's just plain bizarre, there's nothing remotely related to the BT anywhere close to where the Coastal mod connects that I'm aware of. I've never before heard of anything like this.

18. georgekessel

georgekessel Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 5 2007, 10:32 AM) [snapback]455854[/snapback]</div>
    There must be something around that harness which the mod was interfering with. What I found strange is that just simply moving the position of the widgets (the black wrapped circuit board from Coastal) seemed to improve the situation.

Wouldn't it be great if Dave from Coastal would tell us what happened....?

19. ThomasCouey

ThomasCouey New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Below is my experience with this "company."

Notice how I tried to be polite and courteous. They only responded to my first email, as soon as they realized there was a problem, they just started ignoring me--UNTIL I threatened the call the better business bureau, then I had a refund within 30 minutes! The sad thing is that I didn't really want a refund, I just wanted the part THAT I PAID FOR. I've never had to post to a forum to warn people about a company before and I'm not trying to cause trouble, but they've treated me poorly and I'm not going to take it.

They're a mom and pop business, with no Q/A. Because of that, either they can assume that customer complaints are valid, or they can assume that they're perfect, again because they have no quality control process. I guess they've opted for the "assume we're perfect" scenario. Notice how they basically imply that I'm a lying thief. Yeah, like I need TWO EV mode kits for one Prius.

Avoid this company if at all possible. I hate to do this, but this is the truth. I'm a electronics enthusiast/hobbyist and working as an engineer, so I hate to do this to a fellow geek, but you can't treat people like this and you can't run a business like this. I'm posting this as a service to everyone out there. Yeah, you may get your order with no problems, like some of the people on this forum thread, but then again you may be the victim of their "customer service" (his wife!). Yeah, her email signature says "Please let me know if I may assist you further : )" Even when she hasn't assisted me to begin with!

Oh, the shipment took 10 days because I'm in Hawaii, not because they stalled or anything. Maybe that's why they didn't want to send another shipment, because they'd have to pay for the shipping again.

The following is what you can look forward to if you have a problem.

Note, this is the actual email chain with personal information removed, read in reverse order:

-------------------------------------------------------

We have refunded your card the $45 for the item you say was not in your package. We will be shipping no further product.

----- Original Message -----
    To: Coastaletech
    Sent: Sunday, April 27, 2008 10:42 PM
    Subject: Re: Order I13077 with Prius Accessories

To whom it concerns:

This is a reminder that I need an update on this situation. As a friendly heads-up, I'm letting you know that if you don't make any effort to contact me on Monday, April 28th, 2008 to resolve this issue that I'm contacting my credit card company and the better business bureau to start the charge-back process.

With hope of a satisfactory outcome,

Thomas Couey

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 12:00 AM, Thomas Couey <> wrote:
    Hello,

Can you please update me on the status of this issue? Is there a mismatch in your inventory (there should be)? I would like to know when you will be able to ship the part.

Thanks.

Thomas Couey

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 2:11 PM, Thomas Couey <> wrote:

I received two manila envelopes. One contained the cable with the PCB that connects to the large connector on the monitor, the other contained the A/V cables, one for audio and one for video. The installation instructions were in one of the envelopes, I believe that the return policy/packing list sheet was loose in the box and the only other thing in the box was a 1 oz. package of Jelly Belly brand jelly beans. Would you like me to send the pictures?

Also, I have installed the Lockpick product and it works great.

Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

Thomas Couey

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 2:04 PM, Coastaletech <[email protected]> wrote:

how many yellow envelopes did you recieve? no the jelly beans are included with every order.
    Please let me know if I may assist you further : )
    Kelley
    Prius Accessories
    mailto: [email protected]

This e-mail contains proprietary information and may be confidential.
    If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby
    notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this message
    is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error, please
    delete it immediately.

----- Original Message -----
    To: [email protected]
    Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2008 1:17 AM
    Subject: Re: Order I13077 with Prius Accessories

I just received my order and I'm missing the "turn on electric mode" part. I only received the Lockpick 3 and a/v cables. The invoice on the back of the return information sheet doesn't show it being back ordered or anything. Another odd thing that I noticed was that there was a small package of Jelly Bellies included. I'm think perhaps this was done to make the weight match up or is this normal? In any case, I have pictures of what I received if needed.

Please let me know if you need me to do anything before you ship the part.

Thank you.

Thomas Couey

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 7:21 AM, CoastalEtech <[email protected]> wrote:
    Dear Thomas Couey,

Thank you for your order from Prius Accessories.

Your invoice number for this order is I13077.
    Please retain this invoice number for reference information.

You have ordered the following:

Qty Description Unit Amount
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1 (TOLEULTLOCKPICK3) AUDIO AND VIDEO $229.00 $229.00
    INPUTS FOR YOUR SCREEN WITH
    BLUETOOTH DIALING UNLOCKED
    * Weight: 2.00 lbs. each

1 (2006PRIUSEV) TURN ON THE ELECTRIC $45.00 $45.00
    MODE IN YOUR 2004-2008 PRIUS
    * Weight: 1.00 lbs. each

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Total Shipment Weight: 3.00 lbs. Subtotal: $274.00
    UPS Ground: $25.39
    Total: $299.39

Order placed at: Sat Apr 12 12:21:24 2008

We will ship to:
    Thomas Couey
    XXXX
    XXXX, XX XXXXX-XXXX
    United States of America
    Shipping Method: UPS Ground
    E-mail: XXXX

We will bill to:
    Thomas Couey
    XXXX
    XXXX, XX XXXXX-XXXX
    United States of America
    Phone 1: XXX-XXX-XXXX

Payment Information: Credit Card
    Card Type: Mastercard
    Card Number: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Card Expire: xx/xx

Thank you again for your order.

20. wiiawiwb

wiiawiwb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Why buy from any company that has problems like those mentioned in this forum?