1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I get no respect in the Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by FishHawk, Aug 22, 2006.

1. FishHawk

FishHawk New Member

In all my years of driving I have been targeted by young Punks in their low slung junk cars cutting me off and giving me gestures. You never see them do this to guys in huge RAM trucks or Hummers. I guess it goes with the car. FishHawk

2. New Revelation

New Revelation The Master Captain

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I wouldnt worry about them because for one they are probably jealous because they dont have one and probab;y working a minimum wage job. And, they often won't bother those in the bigger vehicles because they know that their junk car can get smashed up by a larger vehicle.

I would just say, ignore the young folk and just enjoy your ride! People are just as bad in cutting off semi drivers, and its lot more dangerous (I should know because I drive semi everyday as part of my job).

3. dreichla

dreichla New Member

So far (knock on wood) that's never happened to me.

I'll bet it's because the Prius looks so sporty, powerful, and intimidating that some feel it must be challenged. Or, maybe it's so stealthy that no one hears or sees it.

Whatever the case, I usually try to avoid the highly concentrated areas where the "punks" cruise - where one can smell the testosterone wafting through the air. I'm too old for that crap these days.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    that hasn't happened to me yet. But then again, I'm in their age range lol.

5. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have to cut people off sometimes, but don't take it personally unless someone looks at you in the face. Sometimes I have to make a turn or catch up with people I need to follow (because I am not familiar with the area) and I end up having to drive aggressively.

6. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Aug 22 2006, 09:59 AM) [snapback]307598[/snapback]</div>
    Same here. I've always gotten cut off by jerk drivers whether I was driving a Saturn, a Bronco or the Prius, so I don't think it's the car type that matters to them. I'm not what you would call a slow driver either. I have a lead foot that I'm constantly trying to keep in check, particularly for my avg mpg's sake. And I don't cut people off either, at least I really try NOT to. These jerk drivers have the 'have to keep getting ahead by driving recklessly' mentality. :rolleyes: Never got any gestures from anyone doing the cutting-off though...

I have noticed that when I'm stopped at a red light on a two-lane road and I'm at the front, whoever is coming up behind me (9 times out of of 10) decides they don't want to be behind the Prius for whatever reason~maybe they think I'm going to drive like a grandma when the light turns green? Any thoughts they might have about me driving slow are quickly dispelled when the light turns green and I'm (safely) across the intersection before they've even moved from their spot behind the crosswalk line. :lol:

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    yep, i'm in that age range too. i probably tend to drive more aggressively than most prius drivers do.

8. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why is it people think that space in front of me is reserved for them? I'd prefer to drive 2 seconds behind at all speeds, but it seems safer to tailgate than to invite someone to cut me off. In the interests of educating the public, I accept most opportunities to dispel the myth that the Prius can't get out of its own way. Much to the consternation of my wife, I tend to drive a few decades younger than my licence says I am. :)

9. M. Oiseau

M. Oiseau 6sigma this

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Speaking of young whipper-snappers, I followed a "Fast and Furious" clone (maybe Civic) into a fast food drive-thru and the kid driver kept revving to redline, really annoying. So I, in my '97 Honda CRV, started to rev my squirrels too, just before he was ready to exit the front of the line. He heard me, laughed to his passenger, and then wound it way up, dumped the clutch, and stalled it. Everyone around, passersby, employees, and even his passenger laughed and pointed. I nearly peed myself.

10. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(M. Oiseau @ Aug 22 2006, 03:15 PM) [snapback]307692[/snapback]</div>
    Oh man, I wish I'd seen this!!! [attachmentid=4581]

I haven't been targeted any more in my Prius than I was in my previous car. I did get a thumbs up at a red light from a guy in a Corvette the other day, though.

11. mike_m

mike_m New Member

Nobody ever cuts me off! In fact, I'm the one doin the cuttin' :lol: I can see how some Prius drivers would get cut off. I passed one the other day here in Otown. That guy was the sterotype of what a Prius driver was before I bought mine. He was just dickin' around at 40 in a 55. He was in the middle lane too. If you MUST pulse and glide on a hwy, get out of the way! Far right! Rant Over, thanks for listenting :) I'm sure with you, it was just a bad day.... :D

12. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(M. Oiseau @ Aug 22 2006, 12:15 PM) [snapback]307692[/snapback]</div>
    I wish I could have been there for that too!! Hahahaha!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

13. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(M. Oiseau @ Aug 22 2006, 03:15 PM) [snapback]307692[/snapback]</div>
    ya know, if i were in that position i think i would've gotten out of the car and clapped just so he could see how impressed i was. :lol:

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rancid13 @ Aug 22 2006, 10:25 AM) [snapback]307616[/snapback]</div>
    Exactly!! I've seen them changes lanes on numerous occasions so that they don't have to be behind me when the light turns green. This happens EVEN if my lane has fewer cars :blink:

Also, I noticed that if I drive slow and they overtake me, they'll stare at me. If it's my dad, they'll look then continue on. :rolleyes:

15. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Aug 22 2006, 04:47 PM) [snapback]307900[/snapback]</div>
    Yep, yep!!! :) How many times have I seen people get out of my lane and into the next one over just so that they didn't have to be behind me, only to have the people in front of them go sooo much slower than me that the person who got over to avoid me ends up getting back behind me because they realize I'm not so slow after all.

The only time I drive slow (ie: barely at or below the speed limit) is when no one else is around and I'm in an area where the posted speed limit is 35-45mph...that's when I choose to work on my 'driving on electric-only' and P&G methods. If traffic comes up behind me though, I'll automatically drive a little faster so I don't potentially piss anyone off. :eek: