1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I got a Toyota letter re: update to LKA

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by tommygun, Jul 10, 2012.

1. tommygun

tommygun Who was that masked man?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Has anyone else gotten this? I don't think it qualifies as a recall, but they say I'm entitled to get an update that will make the LKA sound an alert as it was designed to do. ( I have a 2012 w/ ATP). I thought that mine was already working properly, but now I'm not sure. I'm reluctant to take advantage of a "fix" I don't need and risk unintended problems. Anyone know anything about this?

2. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    No letter. But my LKA makes sounds when I drift (intentionally to test the system) off the lane.

Do they want to make a louder like the reverse beep? LOL.

3. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2012 ATP and haven't gotten this letter. I have used the LKA and get a warning as it drifts. I wonder what the new update does. Please let us know if you get the update and what the tech says it is suppose to do.

4. tommygun

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'll post the exact language in the letter tonight. I don't use the LKA very much, but when I've "tested" it I think it sometimes does its torque correction thing without beeping. Maybe it has to do with build date. I intend to find out just what it is they want to do before I let them do it. More later.

5. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I haven't received this notice. I have a 2012 with ATP as well and it also seems to work just fine

6. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My build date was 4/2012. What's everyone elses?

7. tommygun

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My build date was 1/2012, so there might actually be a glitch there. The letter says that this is a "Limited Service Campaign" that includes my vehicle. "On your 2012 model year Prius, the LKA system may not activate the lane departure warning (beep) when the vehicle begins to deviate from the marked lane. All other features of the LKA system operate as designed."

Since I don't have a point of comparison, I have no way of knowing whether my car behaves differently from those of you who have been good enough to respond to my inquiry. I think I'll just get it done when I go for my first service in September. I was just curious if any other Priuschat buddies had received the notice. Thanks folks. :)

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LDWS is different from LKA. LKA keeps you in the lane, LDWS just warns you and doesn't actively do anything other than beep. LDWS is active below 50mph I believe and if if LKA is active, then LKA overrides LDWS (since it beeps and moves the steering wheel as well). The details are in the owner's manual but I believe 50mph is the speed threshold if cruise control is active.