1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I got stuck in the mud!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rjmiz, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think that the limited (no) slip protective function will prevent the front tires from free spinning, so if its slippery you're toast! I was off-raoding (fire roads over the Cajon pass in Southern California to by-pass route 15 construction) and got stuck half-way up a hill that had loose dirt on it. The car just stops, period. I was able to back down and get a running start to go up and over though.

2. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Devil's Advocate @ Jan 16 2007, 01:58 PM) [snapback]376325[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, you'll be toast. Every winter I got stuck off my driveway and my Altima was able to be rocked out. I think I'm doomed based on how narrow my drive is. It may be more economical for me to widen it than to call a tow truck a couple times a year.

3. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Jan 15 2007, 09:26 AM) [snapback]375814[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think anybody is saying it's a hybrid problem, but it is an electronic slip-control problem. With a regular FWD tranny, you could turn the wheels side to side and see if you could work your way out of the problem, or slowly rock it forward and back. But if the computer says you can't even try it, then that's a problem. I can see this for most situations, but it would be nice if you could override it temporarily.

In this case, the problem may not have been the mud so much as hitting the lip of the pavement and trying to get on top of it?

I helped an SUV with a similar problem when Chicago had the big snowstorm in early December. She was trying to turn around on a road, and got the right front tire about one foot into the low snowbank. We dug out the snow, and in her case the tire continued to spin. So it didn't have much traction, but it had some, eventually we got it out (a little more rocking and a little less spinning probably would've been more effective). But a big heavy vehicle like that, I tried pushing but it had absolutely no effect. But one tire a foot deep in chunky snow, and she was really stuck, not good for a regular-sized SUV. (I should've had a rope to hook on my back two bars and try to pull her out with the Prius - not sure it would do much, but would make a good picture). :p

4. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I was up in Vermont last week for a skiing trip. The driveway of the house that we rented was very icy. When I was backing out of the drive way, the car got stuck on a patch of ice. When I press on the gas pedal, nothing happens, only the traction control light was on (duh! I know I'm stuck). So I turn the wheel both ways and press on the pedal. Lucky enough, the tire was able to catch on something and the car started to move again. Some thing to try when you are stuck next time.

5. M. Oiseau

M. Oiseau 6sigma this

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did the '07 get a software change, maybe?

Went up my steep driveway on two inches of freshly precipitated ice last Friday and had no problem. Felt like it was "trundling" up much as our Honda CRV does when all-wheel-drive engages. I felt like the Prius didn't slip at all, but my wife, who was watching from the garage, said it looked like the wheels were slipping all the way up.

6. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Correct, NOT a hybrid problem. Toyota could easily build in some computer allowed slipp to assist in these situations, but are just playing it safe.

7. jimklausner

jimklausner Connecticut Yankee

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(M. Oiseau @ Jan 16 2007, 01:29 PM) [snapback]376351[/snapback]</div>
    I definitely hope your experience of successfully going up your driveway is true for 2007 Prius. I bought my 2007 Prius a couple of months ago, after having had 3 4WD SUVs. So far, the Connecticut winter has been dry...no snow. But, I am worried about what will be my driving experience once there is snow and/or ice on the roads. One good thing, I am retired and there is no place I HAVE to go.

Connecticut Yankee

8. scoot

scoot Member

Let's not blame this on Prius or Hybrids or even front wheel drive. Let's blame it on not very clever traction control.

My other car is a 2002 Mercedes C-class. I was parked at the dry cleaner a few weeks ago and along the curb there were wet leaves. My back right wheel was sitting in a slick of wet leaves. When I got in the car to leave, guess what! Car isn't going to move for the same reason that you got stuck in the mud.

I could have turned off the traction control but instead just rolled back a few feet (on a slight incline) to pavement that wasn't covered with wet leaves...

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ Jan 16 2007, 06:50 AM) [snapback]376221[/snapback]</div>
    It came out in Nov 2005. I had mine done in Dec 2005. It's an ECU update to resolve the "stalling" issue. Apparently, there were other updates along with it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Jan 16 2007, 09:42 AM) [snapback]376313[/snapback]</div>
    wow. We barely got any up in BC.

10. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jan 16 2007, 02:37 PM) [snapback]376488[/snapback]</div>
    When in '05 did you buy your car? The only recall on mine (purchased in August) was for the steering assembly issue. OTOH, I haven't gotten stuck in anything yet.

Dave M.

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Jan 15 2007, 09:33 PM) [snapback]376128[/snapback]</div>
    Combined with heavy marketing that never outright *claims* the tire is suitable for severe winter conditions, or loose gravel or mud or whatever, then the tire company is off the hook. Usually they have hidden in their advertising that "all season" tread loses its effectivness below about +7 C.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jan 16 2007, 03:13 AM) [snapback]376172[/snapback]</div>
    Yes Jon I specifically asked the service manager about this when I got back last week. He brought up the vehicle history and claimed my Prius was completely updated.

Perhaps the system may allow more spin-up, with the studded tires on ice I've never needed it. When it really bogs down, then it still kills all power. By rapidly pumping the gas pedal I can trick the Trac into allowing the wheels to turn a bit, I wouldn't call it outright wheel "spin" though

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Jan 16 2007, 11:45 AM) [snapback]376272[/snapback]</div>
    The Prius will do that sometimes, no need to panic. Indeed in summer, if I'm stuck in traffic with the A/C, the ICE will cycle to keep the SOC in the purple.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Jan 16 2007, 11:45 AM) [snapback]376272[/snapback]</div>
    Not sure about where you live, but here it's illlegal to discharge a sump pump onto a city street.

As long as they know how to properly tow a Prius. A flatbed tow is best. Otherwise you could risk damage to the PSD if they attempt to yank it out, and damage to the rear apron if they lift the front too high.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Jan 16 2007, 12:42 PM) [snapback]376313[/snapback]</div>
    David

That sort of slope, combined with the curve, would be *very* dicey without studded tires

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Devil's Advocate @ Jan 16 2007, 12:58 PM) [snapback]376325[/snapback]</div>
    Weird, the same exact thing happened to me a couple of summers ago when I went with a few friends to a tourist camp in NW Ontario. The gravel road off the highway had a steep slope, with a sharp curve right at the bottom so a run was impossible. One of my buddies in a Lexus RX300 used a tow strap to pull me up with the emergency tow eyebolt.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Jan 16 2007, 01:10 PM) [snapback]376334[/snapback]</div>
    Almost every pickup truck and SUV on the road has "open" front and rear differentials. The wheel with the least traction gets the power. In an extreme case, say one side on dry pavement and the other side on polished ice, it will sit there spinning.

I had the same problem with the 1984 Ford truck I keep at my hobby farm as a work/plow vehicle. I put one of these in the rear axle

http://www.powertrax.com/lockright.html

And a Detroit Locker in the front axle. I can jack up one side of the axle, and the truck will easily drive off the jack stand. This video is funny

http://www.richmondgear.com/ptrax2.wmv

Even scarier are the nuts in *empty* 4wd pickups who go flying past you in a blizzard, then suddenly they start to weave and you have to hit the brakes to allow them to spin out and hit the ditch. I never stop for those fools.

12. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I should have just looked it up in the first place: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/tire3.htm

The short version:

Follow link for the long version.

13. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well going down the driveway wasnt bad and the road is sanded and plowed. going up it was a task though. first time i went up it pretty slowly and as soon as i started to slip... forget it. still made it more than half way though. i had to back out and the fact that the end of the drive goes over the sidewalk, its not wise to get a running leap at it, but i was able to gain enough speed at the bottom to get up it.

but, didnt matter. had to go out again and the weather report is for sub freezing temps so it will be all ice tomorrow morning for work, so ended up parking up on top.

i was able to control the car fairly well, yes my drive is narrow and steep and the end is a completely blind intersection, traffic not withstanding, there has been more than a few times i had made a pedestrian jump especially if i am in EV mode. in fact the last week or so has been a skidding stop. there is a wall on one side, a curb on the other, the curb however is only about 4-5 inches tall and could easily be driven over... has never hit it yet, but if the tires are locked up, the curb will help.

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ Jan 16 2007, 02:48 PM) [snapback]376496[/snapback]</div>
    Ordered Sept 15 2004, picked up Oct 25 2004.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman @ Jan 16 2007, 04:57 PM) [snapback]376548[/snapback]</div>
    Weird. It does spin and it never completely cuts the power now. It just spins, then brakes the wheel, then let it go, then brake etc etc.

15. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jan 17 2007, 01:07 AM) [snapback]376653[/snapback]</div>
    Jon

With my studded Goodyear Nordics, in "normal" winter conditions and especially on ice, I have so much traction I've never seen the Trac light blink. When I managed to get it stuck in 20 inches of snow Dec 31, I never felt anything like a brake being applied to a spinning wheel. Just no power at all.

I've rode in cars and especially in a 2006 Range Rover HSE with "real" traction control and know what it feels like when a brake is applied to a spinning wheel.

16. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i did a couple trips on ice and its kinda like driving with two feet. one for gas, one for brake. i get the power-brake-power-brake feel.

i also noticed that if i tried pumping the gas pedal, response was very very slow. i had better luck just putting a few inches on the gas and holding it.

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman @ Jan 17 2007, 01:02 AM) [snapback]377043[/snapback]</div>
    So Dave's experiencing something similar to me lol. I have no idea, Jay.

18. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman @ Jan 16 2007, 08:57 PM) [snapback]376548[/snapback]</div>
    This is another thing that had me freaked out. I told him to bring a flat bed, and he did. However, due to the position of the car, had to opt to lift the back end to pull it out. Eek.

19. OlsonBW

OlsonBW New Member

Re: I got stuck in the mud!

And the answer is (drum roll........)

1) Apply about half breaking (don't push the brake pedal ALL the way down) and ease on the gas. This should be enough to keep the tires from spinning.

DON'T panic. If the wheels still spin for a moment and stop then either give it less gas or more brake. More likely the former than the latter.

2) Find something to put under the tires. Just like in snow, if you can find something, even cardboard, or your floor mates (they cost less to replace than having a tow truck tow you out) under the back edge of the tires and again, ---ease--- on the gas while apply half brake.

Note that gravel is better than mud. If there is gravel, use steps 1 (optionally 2) and put as much gravel as you can behind front tires (assuming that you are trying to back up). If someone else is there, have them use something to try to push the gravel under the tires while using step 1.

This works for vehicles on cars or in mud.