1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I gotta say, I am impressed!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jeffery Merrill, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Jeffery Merrill

Jeffery Merrill Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Most of you already know this but I deliver pizza, and this car is heaven on wheels. Not only does it look great, work great, and feel great, I only fill up ever 6 or 7 days, not two to three times a week!!! Have I said already I love my Gloria? LOL!

Anyway, over the last several days Northern Indiana has gotten hit pretty heavily with snowfall, there is at least a foot in some places, up to two feet in a few more. With all this snow, plowing has been non-stop. That's where my recent challenges have cropped up. I drive a LOT of secondary and residential streets, including rural areas, some of which actually do get plowed. The bad part of this is that plowed snow is everywhere, across streets, across driveways, everywhere. Parking is a nightmare because plowed snow piles up next to the curbs, narrowing the streets, so through traffic is much more difficult.

Now, here is where I am impressed. I've gotten caught in these snow berms plenty of times, and with determination and a lot of time can usually get out using rocking technique. This was when I had my Corollas. Now, on the other hand, my Prius is radically different. Most of the time it just plows right through, with the skidding car light flashing of course, but usually it gets through, even dense snow. A few times I got completely stopped, but with a modified rocking am usually out and through within a minute, maybe two. I wonder if the bag of kitty litter and shovel will even see use this year!

Prodigyplace likes this.
  2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Prius is very good for rocking out as you can change between drive and reverse without brake and even with throttle applied.

No they won’t get used. That sort of reparation equipment is never needed if you carry it. But as soon as you stop caring it you would have needed it.
    That’s why I always carry umbrella in summer. If I got it with me it will never rain. :LOL:

dolj likes this.
  3. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am also pretty impressed with my '07 as far as snow performance. I've been driving Volvos for the past 20 years and have been used to good performance ion snow (my rear wheel drive Volvo is actually better than the FWD!). The Prius is definitely different with traction control. I've had to use rocking a few times, but the car just got out of trouble with aplomb. So far I find this Gen 2 Prius to be the best car I have owned (and I owned many since 1980's).

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  4. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    When I bought my 2008 I had to learn what can and can't be done with deep snow. I always bellied out in my driveway and after a while I just gave into the fact the snow was too deep and I quit getting into trouble. My new Prius seems to be better in snow than my old one.