1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

i guess i'll be the lexus driver now

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by galaxee, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Gal,

Over the summer, my wife and I switched cars. The Prius has more safety features than the '01 Corolla, and since she's driving for two, the choice was obvious. I do get to drive the Prius from time to time. I've altered my commuting routes to get the most I can out of the Corolla. I'm getting about 40 MPG in mixed driving (probably 60% city). The best thing is that it shuts off at stoplights, just like the Prius. Of course, I have to do that part, and remember to start it back up when the light turns green. It's as close as I could get it. ;)

As others have said, it'll be best in the long run. I wish the both of you luck and strength.

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Skwyre7 @ Nov 12 2007, 06:23 AM) [snapback]538346[/snapback]</div>
    While I do not know cars, I'd suggest you check with a mechanic about the advisability of shutting off your Corolla at stoplights. The Prius is designed to shut off and has a unique start-up sequence dependent on the characteristics of the Atkinson-cycle engine and the very powerful MG1 which serves as a starter. The Prius spins up the engine to 1,000 rpm under low compression before injecting fuel. Your Corolla cannot do that. You may be doing more harm than good, both to the engine and to the environment, by shutting off the Corolla at stoplights, and you may be wasting, rather than saving gas.

Galaxee: Best of luck to you and your DH in his new career. The switch from fixing cars to fixing medical equipment sounds like a good choice since they both take advantage of his diagnostic skills.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Nov 12 2007, 03:02 AM) [snapback]538291[/snapback]</div>
    he won't be living with me. from our current town, it's about 180 miles. so he's moving in with family that lives closer, and promises to come see me on the weekends. :(

we both know it's better in the long run. it's a really good opportunity for him- he's so excited about this- and i can't make him miss out on that. i thought the last 2 years were hard enough on us, but the next 2 will be the worst yet.

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Nov 12 2007, 02:03 PM) [snapback]538506[/snapback]</div>

Yeah, that does suck. But you do what you have to do. My Dad lived in Ft. Huachuca and commuted home on weekends. Did it for a few years. It sucks having your Dad living in another state when there's no divorce or separation involved....just a crappy economy and that's where the job is. But eventually he did get a job closer to home. And we've remained friends with the family he stayed with when he was in Arizona all of these years.

I think it's great hubby is so excited about this new opportunity. I know he was a bit depressed over the sudden forceful change in his career. Being able to live a little closer to make his commute shorter is nice on the pocketbook, but lousy for you. Yes, it's two years. But it will pass. And someday you'll look back on this time with nostalgia. I'm not sure what kind of nostalgia, but it will be over and you'll be in a better place.

Now the only question is....who finishes first? Your PhD or his Associates?

5. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Skwyre7 @ Nov 12 2007, 09:23 AM) [snapback]538346[/snapback]</div>
    thanks Skwyre :D DH says please let your corolla run at stoplights instead though!

thanks, i think that's what drew him to it. still very mechanical and very diagnostic. his problem with school was that it never challenged him. he never did go to school to be a mechanic, he learned as he went and did very well that way. he hopes this is challenging enough to keep him interested.

6. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Nov 12 2007, 08:35 PM) [snapback]538641[/snapback]</div>
    exactly. sounds like your dad did what he had to do, too.

i had so better finish before 12/09...

7. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So, I was showing DH the picture of your cars, and mentioned something about the antenna.

His response, "It's photoshopped"

8. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    fancy this:
    cheaper than using the es250 for the commute
    cheaper than using the prius for a commute
    cheaper than buying a $500 camry and fixing it up and using it for the commute...

buying a used insight and using THAT for the commute.

figuring in what the prius is worth, value left by the time he would be done, gas cost, and what other cars would cost... the insight wins out against the prius by about $7000 and against the cheapie camry by about $2000. and it has modern safety features too.

basically, the price of the insight costs next to nothing next to using the prius.

geez, as if this weren't complex enough.

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Could you sell the Lexus and get a used Insight?

It would be a shame to give up the Prius for the Insight.

Best case scenario is he commutes with the Insight and you've still got the Prius.

10. Lola&#39;05

Lola&#39;05 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Nov 12 2007, 02:03 PM) [snapback]538506[/snapback]</div>

Hey, commuting, long distance marriages can really work. For one year, my DH worked in Texas. Friday night, he would call when he got into Phila. International Airport. I went and picked him up. Had a great weekend and then dropped him off at the airport on Sunday night. Kind of like the old O.J. Simpson airline ads. You are probably too young to remember those. Boy, has that guy come down in the intervening years. But it worked for us...even with two middleschool age children. At least you don't have kids to deal with right now. So you will end up with a 4.00 GPA. And after that year, he got a substantial promotion and increase in salary. You got to do what you got to do. If it doesn't kill you, it makes you stronger.

11. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Nov 14 2007, 06:50 PM) [snapback]539706[/snapback]</div>
    well, we're looking at one hopefully tomorrow. i'm still considering how we will make that work. sometimes thinking long run kinda sucks, because it involves a bigger up-front cost :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lola'05 @ Nov 14 2007, 07:25 PM) [snapback]539712[/snapback]</div>
    thanks for the good story :) it makes me feel much better.

12. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    too bad it's not one of the new lexus hybrids!

My friend has one and LOVES it... had a ride and have to say it's quite luxe... tilting mirrors and all!!!!