1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I had to put down one of my best friends tonight.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by KK6PD, Feb 6, 2012.

1. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's my sad and tearful duty to report the passing of my favorite little buddy, Madison my Maine Coon cat. She lost the fight with the growth that destroyed her left front leg. When my wife Margie and I were looking all those many years ago, we did not find her, she found us. We had stopped at a breeder we had heard about, and she brought in about 3 litters of kittens, 14, 15 or so. They were all falling over each other, but this one looked up, ran over to my feet and jumped on my leg. I shooed her away 4 or 5 times until my wife pointed out, I think we found the kitten that likes us. It was just that simple. She was my pal through good and bad, I will miss her greatly. Good bye Madison.....
    [​IMG]

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sorry, my friend. :(

Was there another pet in the house? It's sad to watch them grieve as well.

1 person likes this.
  3. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm sorry...

1 person likes this.
  4. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, 3 others..the 1 yr kitten keeps looking for her....it's sad!

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Cats are wonderful friends. I have wondered more than once what I will do when I am in my twilight years: live without them, or risk leaving them alone and vulnerable when I die.

1 person likes this.
  6. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am sorry for your loss. I have lost pets before and it is a different grief than losing a person. Animals give more than I could ever expect most people to give.

1 person likes this.
  7. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yeah my 16 year old westie had white nose and gums last night, found out that a growth had ruptured something and she was bleeding internally for a few days. they were able to stabilize her for the entire family to get to the hospital to say our goodbyes, very sad, but she lead a long and spoiled life and surgery was out of the question, so i feel your pain.

1 person likes this.
  8. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm so sorry KK6PD, and cnschult, for your loss. :(

1 person likes this.
  9. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Its horrible to have to put down a loved pet, but sometimes its the kindest thing you can do for them.

1 person likes this.
  10. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Some shelters have special programs for seniors; they have discounted adoption fees especially for older pets and some also will take back the adopted pet in the case where the senior can no longer keep them.

1 person likes this.
  11. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sorry to hear about the kitty. It is a sad day for sure. I had to put down "my girl" a little over a year ago as she was no longer able to jump, barely walk, and not comfortable. There were (are) 4 others still in the house, and the oldest that had known her almost all his life seemed to take it harder. I found out about pet cremation and had her cremated.

I've almost lost 2 of my current ones over the years. One swallowed a shoe lace and not sure what the other one swallowed (and wasn't about to go looking for it after it processed). I think the saving grace for my little guy last summer was his brother helping coax him into eating a week after surgery and not eating on his own at the vet.

1 person likes this.
  12. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sorry to hear about the loss of your best friend.

My daughter and her husband just called last night to say they are having to face the decision of whether they are going to have to put down one of their two boxers.

1 person likes this.
  13. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm very sorry about your sad news, Pat. I had to put down my cat over 20 years ago, and I still miss him sorely. He was 15 and had developed a fast-growing cancer of the jaw bone. For those 15 years he was my constant and only companion. I was pushed by friends into getting another before I was ready, and then had to find her another home half a year later when I went to Mexico to learn Spanish.

I feel your loss.

1 person likes this.
  14. oldasdust

oldasdust Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes the loss and separation is hard. I have put down 4 dogs. All family pets become family and leave a hole in us. I think they will be with us in the after life. They have a living spirit and that energy survives. They love us back and we put them down to stop their suffering, no greater love exists. Keep their memory close.

1 person likes this.
  15. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I almost tear up reading this thread and thinking about my Nina. Because my dad was allergic to cats, I never had one growing up. My wife, however, insisted that we would have a cat. Visiting a pet store, shopping for cat supplies, I wondered over to their cages of rescue cats for adoption. Nina looked up, walked to the front and reached out her paw. I melted and didn't move from the spot until my wife found me (I was afraid that if I turned my back someone else would swoop in).

Nina has been with us for ten years and last year tore her knee, requiring surgery. For three months, she was confined to a guest bedroom with all the furniture removed to eliminate "jumping potentials." The only furniture in the room was a mattress on the floor on which I slept with her, reassuring her that the confinement was for her recovery and not a sign of abandonment. She has always been my little girl and I know I will grieve deeply when she is gone.

Please know that I'm thinking of you, KK6PD. You have a strong community of well-wishers here on Priuschat.

2 people like this.
  16. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your losses are making me sad. :(

We are so very fortunate to have such good friends that love us unconditionally.

1 person likes this.
  17. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Please accept humble and heartfelt condolences!

1 person likes this.
  18. Dusty Chips

Dusty Chips New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My condolences to you. I lost MY buddy, a chihuahua named Peanut nearly two years ago. I miss him every day.

He had a bad heart. The only thing I am glad about is that I did not have to make that decision about him. That would have devastated me even further. I know how tough that must have been for you.
    :hug:

1 person likes this.
  19. Dusty Chips

Dusty Chips New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
    All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
    You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
    Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

3 people like this.
  20. SPEEDEAMON

SPEEDEAMON Professional Car Nut

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    So sorry to hear of your loss. RIP Madison. We have had three Dobermans that all past away and each time the grief and sadness was too unbearable. They were our best friends. We now have three Japanese Bob-Tails. But nothing can replace the heartache of losing your friend.

1 person likes this.