1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I HATE my prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by lazyleo, Jan 20, 2007.

1. LazyBear

LazyBear New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    BS. Most of the vehicles with DSC / VSC have an off switch. That's because sometimes spinning wheels keeps you moving as oppose to stalling and maybe even worse - sliding back. My Prius climbed half of the snowy driveway, then stalled and started sliding back!

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(donee @ Jan 23 2007, 08:16 PM) [snapback]379794[/snapback]</div>
    Not much risk if you speed limit the wheels, in which case the amount of shock loading is also limited. Speed limited slip is the optimal solution to this problem, and it would appear that the Prius control system has all of the pieces and parts needed to do this if Toyota decides to make it happen.

Tom

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chogan @ Jan 23 2007, 03:56 PM) [snapback]379690[/snapback]</div>
    I can't say whether the tempo picks up, but the car definitely tries harder if you give it lots of gas. It doesn't spin the wheels at high speed, but keeps trying longer and harder than when you baby the gas.

Tom

3. revrob

revrob New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius

I just had same problem with skidding; fortunately my drive flat so got back in garage. New Tires don't solve problem...I have brand new tires

4. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What type of new tires and what sort of driving conditions?

The limits of physics apply even to good tires. Without studded tires, I've had my Jeep C-J5 stuck in two inches of wet snow. Some conditions are simply undrivable.

Tom

5. drew_flux

drew_flux Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Didnt read all 9 pages. But sound like you need to learn how to put the car into "inspection mode" ie no traction control. I have a gravel driveway (almost a 40* degree slope) and in heavy rain,will get no traction trying to climb up the hill to the garage.in inspection mode can get up the hill with a small amount of wheel spin.

1 person likes this.
  6. TopJimmy5150

TopJimmy5150 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's not an SUV. Shovel your driveway.

7. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

You know, knocking off that snow on the driveway is about the best way to make ice on the driveway.

We do not do that up here in areas where snow is more common. Because, the sun does come out on occaision, and it will melt that snow, and then it will refreeze overnight.

Put the car in neutral and have somebody push you back. But you might have to buy them cramp-ons ( [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crampons[/ame] ) for them to be able to do that on the ice-way you have turned your driveway into....

8. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Three words: Nokian Hakapellita tires, or Nokian WRg2 Tires.

PS, back up an incline, puts the weight on the driven tires. Front wheel drive looses any advantage as the hill gets steeper, as the weight proportionally goes more on to the rear axle.

9. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What's up with the super resurrection threads? This this is from like 2006. lol

10. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    When you read some messages, they appear as related. Someone then replies thinking its recent then they go to the front page.

11. Aegison

Aegison Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Since the traction control and vsc are high on the list of what may cause problems in some snow conditions, I wonder if there's a Prius version of a procedure I saw for the Camry:

Disabling TRAC and VSC temporarily on Camry Hybrid
    Disabling TRAC and VSC temporarily on Camry Hybrid - GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars

It's a one-time operation, and re-sets when the car is turned off and then back on. It sounds as if it's there to help dealer techs trouble-shoot things, so it makes senses there may be a procedure for the Prius.

If so, it might help in the "I can't move in my own driveway" isssues some face.

12. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    isn't there a way to turn the traction control OFF? i remember this in a thread here, can't remember where.

13. FrankD

FrankD Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow! I just read all 10 pages.

This is my first winter with our Prius...and I never knew there was a problem. I have had the Traction control light come on a couple of times in snow or slippery pavement for a second or two.....startled me a bit, but all seemed ok.

I have new Michelin Harmony tires on my Prius, hopefully I never have the problems these other folks have had. I plan on moving to Florida in 2 years, so I guess I just need to get through these two winters.

I love our Prius, and am learning a lot about it here....so far I have not had any problems in the snow....we'll see. It's so new to me that I'm a bit of a nervous nelly about it.....I guess another thing to watch for.....

Frank

14. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I intend to buy a beater 4WD for any day there is even a CHANCE of weather here in Colorado. I'd prefer to trade my Prius off - I don't believe they are a viable alternative here in Colorado. However I can't get anything out of it now that the price of gas is down. I am running General Altimax Arctic tires just to get it to even move in the snow. It's a shame - I really love the car but inability to go in slick weather makes it useless here in Colorado where snow can occur at almost any time.

15. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I read that there is a way to turn the traction control off -- but it's not easy to do and can be dangerous because, as I understand it, one reason for the traction control in the Prius is to protect the planetary gears of the hybrid synergy drive.

(Don't ask me to explain because I can't ... whenever someone here tried to explain it to me, I quickly became dazed and confused.)

16. spinkao

spinkao New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For a gen II Prius, the way to disable TC is to engage so-called inspection mode. Procedure to do this is as follows (copied from another thread, written by Patrick Wong - use at your own risk):

17. twags0702

twags0702 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    IT'S A PRIUS, NOT A 4RUNNER! If you expected it to be great in the winter, you shouldn't have bought it. I live in MI and I think it actually drives fantastic in crap weather, especially when its icy outside. I am not expecting it to plow through 8 inches of snow but normal winter weather is fine. Its a 1.8L 4 banger so you cant be surprised.

18. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Was there a reason to bump this thread? Let's ask an expert.

Expert says: My sources say no.

19. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This thread has been dead for only a year. That's not even close to a record. My expert opinion is therefor "no".

Tom

20. priushippie

priushippie New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't drive my 2010 Prius in the winter. I have a RAV4 for that purpose. Where I live there is a foot of snow on the ground and I need to get to work. I would be dreaming to think that my Prius would be great in the winter and be able to do everything. Get a four wheel drive of some kind as a winter beater. I long ago realized that NW Pennsylvania sucks in the winter. I have a snow shovel, snow blower, gloves, warm coat, boots, back up wood burning furnace, fireplace, emergency generator, long underwear, snowmobile, tractor with back blade, flashlights, candles..........etc