1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I Hate Texters

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by HPrimeAdvanced, Feb 22, 2018.

1. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    We have a growing Monster problem out here on the street, called "Distracted Driving"! It's bad enough that we're fiddling with the radio, munching on food, yelling at political pundits on the radio, and looking for an address or the button for our seat warmer! The final straw in my view, is the outrageous use of texting while driving! I see this abomination many times daily, during my survival contests on Socal streets!!
    But wait, I have a SOLUTION.!! Pass a law that stipulates that insurance companies may change their policies to DENY COVERAGE to jerks shown to have been texting during an accident. You say, Ah mon ami, but the rich clever yacker will simply toss his phone away! I reply, but non mon ami, you can subpoena his phone records (part of my new law!) to demonstrate his culpability!
    At the scene of the accident, the police would collect all cell phones, and cell phone numbers from each driver. The gendarme would perform a cursory inspection of each phone, noting times used etc. Phones would be returned to the owners, at the scene. Yes, the problem is THAT bad!! We need to treat illegal texters like drunks; they are as bad, if not worse, since a drunk might at least try to avoid a collision! Don't get me started on drunk texters!!
    At the same time, the police or State could file charges of criminal negligence against these SOBs. I think the threat of no insurance protection for texting will slow down this problem, especially after a few tragic cases show the peasants how devastating a loss texting can be.

We've got to stop these irresponsible, selfish, jerks before they kill more of us, and hurt our Primes!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.
    AChoiredTaste.com

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agree 100% my friend. and not just texting, i think phone use in the car should be banned, even hands free.

Prius Maximus and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  3. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I saw your subject line and thought you'd been in an accident. I'm glad it hasn't happened (yet).

4. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I see 'em all the time. Constantly speeding up and slowing down, swerving all over the road and shoulder. Hit the horn and they give you the evil eye.

It's not just texting. They're watching movies or playing games. I saw one guy listening to music so hard I thought he'd give himself whiplash the way he was dancing- bouncing around in his seat. Or how about the morning paper reader - At 5 am a car passes me going about 80 in a 65. His dome light was on with the tribune over his steering wheel. Yep reading a newspaper while going about 20 over the limit. in the dark, not able to see out the windshield.

You really have to work to keep away from them in heavy traffic.

PS, for those not in the Chicago area, the tribune is a large format newspaper.

5. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Several close calls, including SUV smoker, texter, running a red light next to me in Placentia, on Yorba Linda Blvd!!

AChoiredTaste.com

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a lady got out of her car in a parking lot the other day. she's texting while leaving the car and crosses the lane without ever looking up, just as i'm approaching her.

it's a serious illness. i see my wife start to do it, and i have to keep asking her to stop walking until she's finished. she doesn't even realize, like pavlov's dog, the phone dings and they have to immediately grab it, no matter the circumstance.

jerrymildred and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  7. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The dotards in the Texas legislature finally passed a don't text and drive law 9/2018, but it hasn't caught on with the natives.

Chicago drivers are courteous compared to Texas drivers. They really need a shut up and drive law here.

Tyfly, HPrimeAdvanced and bisco like this.
  8. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    Text'ers are the reason I added a rear facing dash cam in the back.

I'll have their picture in HDTV format doing the deed.

HPrimeAdvanced and pilotgrrl like this.
  9. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Lawyers are going to solve this problem for us and since most insurance policies have exclusions for claims incurred as a result of illegal activity, this will all be a self-solving problem fairly quickly.

Most cars are connected these days. That means that junk that happens INSIDE cars....like airbag deployments, are logged with a time stamp.

All phones are connected as well.
    That's sorta the whole point.
    As soon as slip and fall lawyers figure out how to tie these two things together, they'll win the Luck-O-Buck-O Lotto.

That's the first hurtle, and it will accelerate the second hurtle.
    You see.....back when I was a kid, DUI was more of a civil thing, than a criminal thing.
    Yeah.....they wrote you a ticket and all, and sometimes you had to pay more money if you dinged somebody's kid, but it was largely seen as 'damages' thing more than somebody utterly disregarding the safety of their fellow motorists.

Then???
    Some Moms got MADD and over the course of several decades, DUIs are not seen as the misdemeanor that they used to be, and you have a MUCH better chance of getting a concealed carry license in Los Angeles than you do of getting a DUI fixed. My company will hire NOBODY with a DUI beef.

All of the tech is in place.
    We just need more blood in the streets before people start to realize that "distracted driving" isn't as bad as drunk driving.....

....it's worse.
    Drunks have the excuse of impaired higher brain function.
    People poking away on their phones just don't give a rats.

Until then?
    Be careful! :eek:

#9 ETC(SS), Feb 22, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  10. Gaëtan Lafrance

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    Entièrement d'accord avec vous, mon ami!
    In Québec, now, no texting and no call on phone in a car...and te fine is ouch!

Agree.

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just a sec... tappytaptap..., erm what were you saying?

12. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Well, it has been getting ever smaller over the years. Not too long ago, opened up, both L and R pages of the Tribune would have covered the entire windshield.

Still, reading anything except road signs while driving is a horrendous practice.

HPrimeAdvanced and pilotgrrl like this.
  13. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In high school, I had this huge crush on this girl who would eat, drink a beer, smoke, and talk on her cellphone all at the same time (this was before texting). She used her knees more than her hands to drive. I remember riding around in her Saab like this. Now, I just hope she didn't kill herself or someone else. What was I thinking?! :eek:

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  14. CraigM

CraigM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think I remember TV commercials from the 1970s showing all the time a man could save by using a new fanged battery powered razor for a shave during his commute.

Still see ladies applying makeup while driving.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm hoping the police will come up with tech that will tell them when people are texting, or maybe at traffic lights.

16. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Another reason why pigeons are better than texting. Just write the note, attach to its little leg, and off it goes. Can be a little distracting I guess and the dropping all over the car makes it almost not worth it. But I am not texting.

HPrimeAdvanced and bwilson4web like this.
  17. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't usually have the ringer turned in. Whoever it is will have to wait until I park the car to get a response. Anyone who knows me will text, not call.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    same, that's what i like about pc.:cool:

19. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    When someone in my family has to get a quick message to me in the car they use "Punchthru". I hear their message and can reply verbaly after the beep.

JeffD

Disclaimer, I work with the author of the Punchthru app.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    anything verbal in the car, except with other passengers (or oneself) should be illegal.