1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I have a confession to make about my Prius.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by HybridKingdom, Aug 4, 2009.

1. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm not exactly happy when gas prices go up, but I have to admit to that slightly *smug* feeling that gives Prius owners such a bad reputation .-_-

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Don't be! When the gas price goes down, "they" will be feeling smug.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    which they did when gas hit $30/barrel.

4. Martin37

Martin37 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I must confess that I am making more trips to wherever now with the IIIBlueII. In the past we would save up tasks requiring trips to town, doing a week's worth of business on a given day. We are located 8 miles out of a town of 1100 people and 15 miles o/w to the county seat, Safeway, etc.; only 4 hours round trip to Costco and the Toyota dealer! The county only has 7200 permanent residents! Now I just hop in the Prius and go when ever I feel like it. What a sense of FREEDOM!!! :rockon:

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't feel worse when gas prices are lower.

I won't feel better when gas prices are higher.

It's all relative anyway. With Prius, you are paying less for the less when it's less. Plus more for the less, when it's more. You're just having to pay more, less than before it was more. So while it seems you are paying less, it's still the same more everyone is paying just a whole lot less. So you're paying less more than the more, more that your neighbor might be paying. But then if you factor in the Hybrid Premium paid at purchase? Who knows you might not really be saving any more, more, if you had boughten less to start with.

Is that more or less clear?

6. Tourezrick

Tourezrick Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Since retiring and no longer having to drive to work, gas prices haven't bothered me all that much, as I use one of my recumbent trikes for most local errands. 4400+ miles of riding in 2008. One trike has a 1400w hubmotor and solar panels, and really laughs at gas prices - until the sky opens up with rain, snow or "The Hawk", at which point, I'll be very glad my II arrived today! Futures prices drive gas prices it seems - pure speculation - so some people, besides those holding fossil fuel stocks are making money, lots of it. Do those people drive a hybrid or ev? You are more likely to find a bridge for sale at fire sale prices.
    Last week, I sat down and tried to figure out the economics of trading in a relatively new luxury car getting 22 mpg around town, 30+ on highways. Here I am, getting bent over the barrel on trade-in value, depreciation for maybe 2 - 2 1/2 times more mpg. Economically, it didn't add up, but I still did it because I thought it was the right thing to do. Now, if I could only add pedals to the Prius . . . .

7. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Higher fuel prices can strain businesses too, but must admit I don't mind when prices go up a little for a dose of reality to those who adore their Chevy Tahoe.

Might be nice to allow businesses a lower fuel price and consumers slightly higher.

As for large, gas guzzling vehicles, I believe many people buy them for extra protection for themselves or their children (bigger, heavier vehicle reputed to be safer). Then, many of them end up commuting in the GMC Yukon, etc...

Obviously some could not care less about burning lots of gas in low mileage vehicles, driven solo. Long as they can afford it, no problem in their mind.

But, was reading today that US is the biggest market for the Prius. Very cool.

8. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I thought I more or less got your drift, but on further reflection, maybe your meaning is a lot more deep than the limits of my ability to comprehend. It appears to be a pretty good explanation of relativity, but not necessarily of how much more or less one pays if gas prices are higher or lower. :rolleyes:

9. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have no control over how "they" feel (or even how I feel, for that matter) :D.

10. Indyking

Indyking Happy Hyundai owner...

I don't know... Indy, Chicago, Madison (WI)... it
    Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Agree, but Prius owners are certainly not helping it, are they? Most Prius owners drive a lot more after they change from a non-hybrid, to a point where they are not really saving any money at the pump, because they use a lot more gas than they used to. People here in this thread already admitted doing this!

I know what you mean, but here is a real life example that may help you to see my point. I know a family who has 4 children to take care and all they have for transportation is an old gas guzzler, the only thing he could afford many years ago. The CARS program cannot help dad, because he does not have any money to change to a more FE car. He works hard but he does not have a permanent job, he depends on construction demand, which is going very low because of the crisis. He depends on his gas guzzler to take his children to school and to work, but he is having hard time keeping it running. Do you realize that we have millions of people in that situation and some Prius owners are actually laughing at those poor families when gas prices rise? So, that has nothing to do with democracy right, of course not, or does it? The guys you are talking about above are actually the vast minority!

So, unlike you thought, my comments were not supportive of increasing gas usage, I did not say that, you just made a very WRONG conclusion from my comments.

Some people just have no idea...