1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I have an 06 prius the key fob isnt working. Anti theft light wont go off & car wont start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by AliciaC419, Jul 9, 2019.

1. AliciaC419

AliciaC419 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have seen this question asked b4. But on all the threads I seen. They solved the problem in a way which mine hasnt been solved. I put a new battery in the key fob. The key flashes but doesnt in gage with the car. I tired pressing the key button under the stearing collumn. The inside lights will turn on and the break and head lights. But no dash lights come on. And the car wont start. I also tried jumping the battery. Does anyone know what else I could do? Also I think my husband may have disconnected something so I wouldnt be able to leave (I know crazy right) but i cant seem to find anything any suggestions

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1. Use the key slot and see if the car will start (don't use sks). Don't look at the dash lights. Listen for the engine to come on after 5 seconds.

The dash lights not coming on is a completely different problem.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. AliciaC419

AliciaC419 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok so if I have the key on my lap and press start it acts as if the key isnt inside the car and that light comes on. The engine wont start. I know for a fact my husband did something to it. I just dont know what.

4. AliciaC419

AliciaC419 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok so if I have the key on my lap and press start it acts as if the key isnt inside the car and the key light comes on. When I stick it in the slot still nothing. The engine wont start. I know for a fact my husband did something to it. I just dont know what. It wont let me reprogram the key

5. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    He said to put the key IN THE SLOT, not sitting on your lap. If your husband did something to keep you from using the car you need help from someone other than Priuschat, like the police or a marriage counselor.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    test the 12v