1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I have betrayed you all...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by DocVijay, Nov 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Well, those who read my other post know that my Prius is gone, totalled by my insurance. Well, I finally got around to looking for a replacement, and I found one. Please don't hate me... It's just that it has everything that we need, especially space! See pictures below.

It's a Lincoln Navigator L, and it really is a nice car, and so far I'm actually averaging 16 mpg. Not too bad considering it weighs over THREE TONS. :eek: Oh, and it can tow 9000 pounds too.

The best part, though is that it has room for everyone and everything. Each child has their own seat with a clear view of the DVD player. The third row is actually spacious enough for three full size adults (as opposed to the smaller compact size adults). The L version is 15 inches longer than the regular Navigator, so even with the third row in use we still have a trunk with enough room for the strollers (two, a single and a double). There is also tons of storage all over this thing. The two center consoles are ginormous. You could probably fit another kid in there in a pinch.

To top it off, it has all the safety features you could want. Airbags all around, plus three row curtain. Traction control and stability control. It's actually all the same stuff that our Volvo has (benefit for Ford for owning Volvo).

And finally, it's purple. B)

Attached Files:

2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Do we ban him now or later?

3. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Nov 15 2007, 10:42 AM) [snapback]539958[/snapback]</div>
    Best of luck. Beautiful car. We have always gone the minivan route - currently own the fourth (Sienna XLE AWD) - i do like that feature in the new Grand Caravan where the middle row seats rotate!

Be well, drive safely, enjoy life.

4. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Nov 15 2007, 10:50 AM) [snapback]539965[/snapback]</div>
    Actually the Toyota Sienna was a very close second. Unfortunately they didn't have anything equipped the way we wanted. For some reason they never stock many AWD Siennas around here. Anyway, it would have been a long wait with the 2007-2008 model transition. The Lincoln was there waiting, and I got a great price on it.

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    well, on the plus side i bet you've got more garage space... :lol: looks like the lincoln is a bit too long to fit.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow that's huge!! Would never have guessed it was purple if you didn't tell me.

No Sequoia?

Maybe you can hypermile in this thing lol.

8. Chrome

Chrome New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That's...the diametric opposite of a Prius.

Did you consider the Yukon Hybrid? The Mercedes Benz GL320 Diesel? Heck, even the Buick Enclave is immense inside and returns mpg in the 20s. And why a Navigator over the Escalade?

Oh well, it's too late now.

Enjoy the ride. I'm so happy you didn't get one with that chrome mustache over the grille on the leading edge of the hood. Yeesh.

9. ibcs

ibcs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Now it should be obvious to everyone - kids rule our lives. I see kid transporter written all over that Lincoln. Enjoy the new ride.

10. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

galaxee - Actually, it fits the garage just fine, believe it or not. It is massive though. I didn't realize just how big it was until it was parked next to the Volvo. This looms over he Volvo the way the Volvo loomed over the Prius. I'll get a comparison picture later for everyone's amusement.

Tideland - I looked at the Sequoia (although I really wanted a Tundra...). Problem with the Sequoia (and most others in this class) had a three across bench for the second row (couldn't find any with the center console). With a car seat strapped into each of outside chairs, it's next to impossible to get into the back row. In our Volvo, if we needed to get someone into the back row, they had to climb through the rear hatch. That's fine for someone like my brother, but my father would never be able to do that.

Also, pretty much all others had a third row that holds at most two small people. Our Volvo third row works, but not for long distances. The Lincoln has a FULL third row that can seat three very comfortably. Also, if you use the third row, there is very little space behind for storage. The Volvo actually has a bunch, but that's because the third row only has 2" of leg room.

Chrome - yes, it is the opposite of a Prius, but it fits our needs. I did consider all those ones you mentioned. Here are the problems.

-Yukon Hybrid: if you can find one, let me know. They don't even have correct prices on their website. I tried the "Build Your Own" feature and it listed MSRP as $999,999.99. Wow.

Mercedes G-class (diesel and gas) - configured the way I wanted it, they topped $74,000. That was a bit more than I wanted to spend.

Buick Enclave - same problems as the others. And I don't like Buick.

Cadillac Escalade ESV - right size, right features. It's basically exactly the same vehicle. However, the Caddy costs $10k more than the equivalent Navigator. Configured the same, it totaled just over $70,000. Once again, a bit more than what I was willing to pay right now. (gotta save some for the Lotus ;) )

I wish the Navigator had a diesel option. If they had the Powerstroke in there it would be perfect. Unfortunately the US is very slow in adopting diesels. Still too many bad memories of the slow, stinky, smokers from the 70's.

ibcs - 100% correct. Kids were the reason, and a transporter it is.

11. Chrome

Chrome New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    ^Thanks for the detailed reply!

12. hozozco

hozozco New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Nov 16 2007, 01:12 AM) [snapback]539958[/snapback]</div>
    Only in America :)

13. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Doc, That's quite a big ride, but I'm sure there's no love lost here, as you seem to be demonstrating a need for a large transport. People seem to give a lot of credit to the idea of "2 Priuses are better than 1 land barge," but they seem to forget that on anything but the shortest drives, 2 drivers would be a pretty taxing setup (not to mention twice the insurance, twice the maintenance, and twice the risk of accident while driving).

My family's not so big yet that I need to drive with so many passengers aboard, and hopefully if/when I need a transport of that capacity, there will be a nice hybrid or EV minivan around!

I certainly don't envy you the circumstances that led to your purchase of a new vehicle. I just read through your other thread and feel just sick about it. My daughter is only 5 months old, but I still want to run home and tell her to be careful crossing the street :( Best wishes.

14. Chrome

Chrome New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Nov 15 2007, 11:52 AM) [snapback]540018[/snapback]</div>
    The Chyrsler minivans will be 2-moded at some point.

15. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Stone Him, Stone Him, !!! <_< You SUV Lover!!!!!! :angry: Drag him from the board by the bumper of his Gas Guzzling SUV...... :rolleyes:

We see how you are now you big faker, pretending to be a hybrid loyalist...... :rolleyes:

Oh well, It sure is a nice looking ride though.... ;) :) But $4.00 a gal. will hurt in the long run.. :(

16. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Doc - you should have told us before you bought! <_<

I have kids too and a large 2nd vehicle, unfortunately, becomes a necessity. However, while I appreciate that you bought a certain level of refinement - for me, the day to day functionality offered by a minivan makes it a much, much better vehicle for kids:
    - sliding doors are much, much easier with kids (particularly in a tight garage)
    - fold into the floor seats allow much more room in a minivan for hauling
    - minivans offer much more storage behind the last row of seats than do most SUVs
    - a minivan offers much better access to the back seats from the front (great when mom needs to get into the back to wipe a nose or whatever)
    - seats are much easier to remove / stow on a minvan
    - minivans get much better mileage than full size SUVs
    - minivans, as a class of vehicles, are among the safest on the road and much less prone to roll-over
    - cost of ownership with a minivan is much lower (as is, I suspect, depreciation)

Our neighbors just got a Suburban when they could have got a minivan. For more money, they got less space, worse gas mileage, and less kid-friendly conveniences.

Sorry, I just don't get it. But hey, it's your money, so enjoy. B)

17. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have 2 questions ...

1 - How tough was it to adjust to driving the Navigator after the Prius?
    2 - Are you going to mod the Navigator like you modded the Prius? (Navigator Mod God?)

18. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Nov 15 2007, 07:42 AM) [snapback]539958[/snapback]</div>
    Does every kid in America really need an in-car DVD player? I don't mean to attack you personally - hopefully your kids are only watching on very long trips - but it drives me nuts that parents can't drive their kids 10 minutes down the road without switching on the DVDs. One of the best things a parent can do is talk to their kids and this whole concept of DVDs in the car only further separates kids from their parents. Just my opinion.

19. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    You Americans are mad.

20. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Holy crap, that thing is huge. I've lived in smaller apartments.

Hey, Bjorn, you're part of the community and your involvement is entirely up to you. Please continue to post your mileage, just to give us all a good laugh. I do like the colour, if it's any consolation, and I'm really looking forward to pictures of the Lotus. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.