1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I have betrayed you all...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by DocVijay, Nov 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

2. Tenebre

Tenebre Custom User Title

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Nov 20 2007, 10:07 PM) [snapback]542121[/snapback]</div>
    For the record, when a car going at highway speeds hits a human, the size of the car doesn't matter, the impact will kill that person regardless. After all your years in the ER, one might think you would have known that.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Nov 20 2007, 01:07 PM) [snapback]542121[/snapback]</div>
    I think being hit by that huge chrome grille is better than being scooped up the hood and flung over. Adults are technically better off if struck by an SUV because the impact is distributed over the entire body rather than just the legs and then having the head strike the hood.

4. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nothing to do with Nate or Bjorn, but as far as my small role in this goes, if it's perceived that I'm 'taking sides' or deserving of criticism, I'd rather people speak up and say so.

6. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  7. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Nov 20 2007, 03:07 PM) [snapback]542121[/snapback]</div>
    Part of what you said here, is true, to some extent. I don't know this person, who bought this SUV, but I would say, that for the most part, people I have known who own this type of vehicle, don't care much about others. They have voiced their thoughts on that subject. They have a certain, 'me first screw the rest of you' attitude as well.

It's safe to say, that the average person who drives one of these monster trucks, is indeed, not caring for the planet.

Or the future of said planet. My Highlander Hybrid is not cheap. And I could have bought a SUV that had more bling and sting for cheaper, sure. When I was rear ended in my Hybrid Camry, (which is the car I had before the HyHi), I felt vulnerable for the first time in twenty plus years of driving. It is indeed, part of many reasons as to why I got the HyHi. I choose a Hybrid Highlander, because I would be safer, and also still be doing what I could, to save the planet, a bit. I can haul stuff around in it. I can haul many people in it, and thus not have to drive multiple vehicles to events. I still get about double, what my neighbor gets in his 'normal' Highlander, mileage wise. I still am silent at lights.

I won't condemn this person, who bought this Lincoln. Not my place to. But I do question the need for it, and would not have brought forth my thoughts, if the thread had not been started by him, to illicit responses.

8. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Nov 20 2007, 03:21 AM) [snapback]541883[/snapback]</div>
    Well, for that matter, what about people who have long commutes (200+ miles daily), or people who live in cold regions that burn 500+ gallons of heating oil each winter? Where you live is a choice, just like whether to buy an H2 or a Prius.

A good friend of mine recently purchased a Chrysler 300 with a 5.7 liter Hemi engine. He told me he gets around 12mpg city. But he only drives 8k miles per year. His total consumption is less than a Prius driver who has a 200 mile daily commute. Which one is worse? The Prius driver made a choice to live far away from their workplace, just like my friend made a choice to buy a car that got crappy mileage. I don't see much difference between the two, except the Prius driver is probably more informed about the political, environmental, and economic issues around burning fossil fuels, and yet he still made a choice to burn a lot of gasoline. Maybe that's worse than the person who is blissfully ignorant.

My parents live in a 3000+ square foot home and they've never seen a monthly combined electric + gas bill over $35 in their life. They live in an area that hits 100+ degrees F in the summer and below 30 in the winter. Their home is 2x6 framed, with R-21 batts in the framing, wrapped with another layer of styrofoam, and some ridiculous amount of insulation in the ceiling (20+ inches). All the windows are triple-pane low-e blah blah blah, and they've got mature trees providing shade. HVAC is a dual-speed heat pump and 95% efficiency gas furnace. Big doesn't necessarily mean high energy use.

9. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I dont see the point of these monster trucks and no one anywhere outside of North America understands America's desire to drive a truck rather than a car.

After braking I would rather be hit by a Prius than a truck thankyou. I would rather my head hit the windscreen of a Prius than the leading edge of a truck bonnet, I would rather not fall under the 3 ton vehicle but would prefer to be lifted over the top of a 1.3 ton one. I would rather a 1.3 ton Prius (with crumple zones) hit the side of my 1.3 ton Prius than the front bumper of a 3 ton truck hit the top of the door.

I hope the doctor didn't buy this thing for status, trailer parks are full of similar vehicles.

By the way my house is about 1350 square feet and it's surounded by native trees and shrubs. I'm ordering the full solar water and power this week.

Is the Toyota Tarago available there? Seats 7 or 8 and it has a full compliment of airbags, side intrusion bars and crumple zones.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Tenebre

Tenebre Custom User Title

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Nov 21 2007, 12:22 AM) [snapback]542178[/snapback]</div>
    If you put the OP's child seats in the second row, wouldn't that make it difficult to enter the third row? Apart from that, the cargo space will be pretty small with all three rows of seats mounted.

Personally, I almost bought one of these before settling on the prius I got a few months ago:
    [​IMG]

11. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tenebre @ Nov 21 2007, 09:23 AM) [snapback]542180[/snapback]</div>
    Considering the split fold rear seat and why do both front seats need to have child seats in when there are 3 spaces in the back? In the lower spec models (still well equipped) you can have 3 seats across the middle. How do you access the third row in a Lincoln Behemoth with 3 child seats in the middle row?
    The space in behind the rear row isn't so bad when you consider how high it is.
    [​IMG]
    My mate raised 3 kids and did all the normal running about with the earlier versions of the Tarago without any issues, he had a 6 x 4 trailer for camping holidays. His first Tarago had an 80 litre propane tank behind the rear seat! The next was the egg shaped one, a very nice vehicle. Now 2 of the kids have their own cars he has a Camry sedan. Oh sorry, Matt is a blue collar worker so he doesn't need a truck to build his status. :huh:

Why did Toyota make the front so ugly for the US market? Looks like a Citroen, yuk! :blink:

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Nov 20 2007, 03:22 PM) [snapback]542178[/snapback]</div>
    was. It was called the Previa (Estima in Japan). Your Tarago is basically 2 generations after the Previa that we had here. You might remember it as the futuristic (well the Tarago is still futuristic looking) looking van that's mid-engined and rear wheel drive.

It was replaced in 1998 with the Sienna. A second generation Sienna came in 2004 and it's much much larger than the Tarago you have. It seats 7 or 8, FWD or AWD, basic or Lexus-like and tons of legroom regardless of which row you sit in.

13. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Australian Tarago is bigger than the equivalent car in Japan, we have second hand Japanese imports come here and they are much narrower, I think 100mm.
    So a bigger Tarago would seat 3 kids then? And I'd bet it would use less resources and be safer to occupants and pedestrians than a Lincoln Behemoth.

14. Lola&#39;05

Lola&#39;05 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Nov 20 2007, 05:17 PM) [snapback]542147[/snapback]</div>

I am with you. This past Saturday, my son, in a Prius, was stopped, waiting for traffic. He was rear ended by a Durango, going way over the speed limit. Major damage and injuries. After an ER visit, he is still on medication for pain. And waiting for the insurance adjustors. So sad, because he loves his Prius. Had all the bells and whistles for 2005. Mine is a more simple version. Really do wish I had gotten the NAV.

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Nov 20 2007, 04:40 PM) [snapback]542204[/snapback]</div>
    Are you the second hand imports aren't the previous generation? They did update the Estima in Japan recently so if the ones you're importing are from the early 2000s, it's the previous generation.

It should. If the Mazda5 (Premacy) is any indication of the width of your Tarago, then ya. Until recently, the 3rd row of seats in our minivans (MPVs) were really afterthoughts. Small or non existent headrests, and lap belts for the middle passenger. Oh and they were flat as heck with no support whatsoever. My knee was up to my chest.

The newer generations are kinder to adults (and thus children) with better seats, 3-point seatbelts for all positions and headrests for all positions.

Oh if you could only see how large our minivans are, you'll come to realise how oxymoronic the word minivan is.

16. hv74656

hv74656 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    After the accident you had, I can't blame you for not getting another Prius. It wasn't anything against the Prius, it's just that it would be psychologically difficult to drive a Prius again. And while I'll agree that Ford is light-years better than GM, the navigator wasn't exactly the best choice. (But being from FL, the Bucs plate explains everything.)

I'd be driving a Honda Element right now if it wasn't for my guilt. I still think it's a cool car, even with the bad MPG.

(P.S. Buying an SUV for your kids' safety in the here and now is only going to punish them in the future. So when you purchase your next car, think about what is better, bold moves or moving forward. I hope this last thought has opened some new doors for you.)
    Any other car company slogans I should throw in here?

17. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Nov 21 2007, 04:34 PM) [snapback]542319[/snapback]</div>
    I think come to think of it you are right. I believe the latest batch of second hand imports are the same width as Australian released Tarago.

We don't call a Tarago a minivan here, it's a big car. They are tagged people movers here, designed to move a group of people.

18. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As a heavy oil stock holder. I thank you.

19. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Nov 20 2007, 06:06 PM) [snapback]542171[/snapback]</div>
    :huh: The bolded statement? What if the guy that has the 300, had a prius instead? just think of how little fuel he would use then..... B)

I thought the going thought was only Neo-cons drove those HUGE rabid SUVs? :rolleyes:

I like the fact there seems to be a few sticking up for the fact its ok to own a Huge SUV. Theres that both sides of the face thing again........ <_< :mellow:

20. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Who needs DVDs or video games when kids can travel like this?
    (Note also the ambient air filter)

[attachmentid=12553]

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.