1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I have betrayed you all...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by DocVijay, Nov 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ Nov 21 2007, 11:47 AM) [snapback]542439[/snapback]</div>
    That's how my wife traveled when she was a kid. But you need to add one extra baby.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Nov 21 2007, 12:11 AM) [snapback]542344[/snapback]</div>
    minivan = MPV = people mover.

3 words, same thing to be honest. Just depends which part of the world you're from.

Of course it varies in size with the NA models being the largest. I'm used to the word MPV since that's the word I was taught (or rather I read in magazines) while growing up.

The Mazda5 (Premacy) is the first of the European kind to make it to our shores and it is selling like hot cakes (at least in my part of Canada). We had it as a courtesy car for a week or two and we loved it (even know we had no small children). And it's cheap too. At $20-$25k CAD, it's right between a loaded subcompact (Yaris at $19k) and a loaded compact (Corolla, Civic etc).

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Nov 19 2007, 03:20 PM) [snapback]541681[/snapback]</div>
    Of all the info presented, these are the sort of comments that I have issues with. You have complained of the spite and personal attacks from others - but haven't commented on the main point of my initial post (the one with the BIGGER truck). In that first post I spoke of making these important decisions based only on "what's best for me" - and the dangers of doing that. Do you see ANY of that problem here? Have you considered the effect BEYOND you and your family? Your choice of "lifestyle" effects mine in a negative way. And that's what I take issue with.

Safety of your family means respecting the safety of everybody's family. You simply cannot protect your family if everybody else is doing things that puts your family in MORE peril. "Convenience" comes at a huge price. Not cost at the car dealership, nor at the gas pump. That's insignificant. The cost comes in our screwed-up energy policy, our nation's economy, our national security, and, possibly most importantly - our health.

Many will say that I am judging you. I am not. I'm judging your actions, and trying to figure out why they were chosen. I have no need for a defense of your choice - that's already quite obvious.

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ Nov 22 2007, 02:17 AM) [snapback]542439[/snapback]</div>
    When was the last time you saw the driver of a Lincoln Behemoth smiling like that?

MPV is a Mazda term for Multi-Purpose Vehicle, rather than a minivan which I would have thought was like a Suzuki Carry or Daihatsu Hijet.
    SUV is an American Auto Industry invention to try to convince Americans that there is something sporty about a utility vehicle when in reality it's just a ute with soft seats, alloy wheels and metalic paint. In the end it's a truck more likely to be driven by a overweight, hard drinking loading dock worker than a sportsman/woman.

As a young person I had a Mini Panelvan
    [​IMG]
    That is a minivan or
    [​IMG]
    The little Daihatsu Hijet!

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    guys... the horse is dead, ok?

[​IMG]

6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ 2007 11 21 15:52) [snapback]542673[/snapback]</div>
    Ohhh, that looks painful. Please make him stop. :eek:

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Nov 21 2007, 03:21 PM) [snapback]542652[/snapback]</div>
    I do not know... I just coin people movers as MPVs.... Those Hijets and TownAces etc I just call them vans even though they can be used to carry people.

The Hijet is ridiculously narrow. I see more of them as delivery vans than actual people movers (not here of course.. we don't even have Daihatsus)

SUVs? What about the G-Class? Cdn$100k (that's in line with the 7 series, and cheaper the the S550 4Matic) and it has military style doors (even the latches sound like that), yet it has 10-way power heated front seats with memory, burl walnut and of course who can forget the G55 AMG version. Ahh yes I need 300+hp when I'm playing in the mud. But I won't be since I don't want to dirty a $100k car.

8. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's right, a van is a van for carrying stuff, a people mover like a Tarago is designed for moving people, a Mazda MPV is a multi purpose vehicle which can be used to move stuff and people.

Sometimes you do need a 4 wheel drive.
    We hired 3 4X4s for a work trip to Innamincka in the north east of South Australia. A remote desert area but when it rains it becomes even tougher to get around. This is the car we used, after the trip. There was about 5mm of rain, some parts of the Strezelecki Track we were down to 25km/h for 10s of kilometres, this most likely totaled 60 to 80km. We came across several road trains stuck in the mud.

Hiring this type of vehicle rather than driving it every day makes a lot of sense.
    [​IMG]
    We did clean the vehicles before returning them, there was so much mud under the vehicle it compressed the suspension about 50mm!
    There was so much mud that both Toyota Landcruisers locked the right rear wheel due to mud buildup under the mudguards. Balls of mud the size of basketballs were coming out of the rear of the vehicles. 5mm of rain in clay makes for very slipery, I'm guessing some areas it was heavier than 5mm as there were puddles on the sand either side of the road but average was 5mm at Moomba and Innamincka. Just so you know, Innamincka to Lindhurst, the nearest town, is 475km of dirt road, the Strezelecki Track.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah but see over here, replace 5mm of rain and mud with oh.. 10cm of snow. I agree some places, the snow is deep and the road crews don't plow the roads for days.

I know a friend who had a RWD Mercedes. She lives on a road that slopes to both sides (so she's at the top of a very short slope). She got stuck one (duh.. it's RWD and it's AS tyres). She replaced the MB with a BMW 325xi.

I was thinking to myself. Wouldn't winter tyres work better than an AWD with AS tyres?

10. TheAnnoyingOne

TheAnnoyingOne New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Drive kid#1 to school - fill it up - return home
    Drive kid#2 to soccer game - fill it up - go shopping - fill it up - go home
    Drive kid #3 to piano lesson - fill it up - go to Starbacks - fill it up - pick up kid #3 - fill it up, go home

etc. etc. etc. :p

Anyhow - enjoy the new toy.

11. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Nov 19 2007, 05:20 PM) [snapback]541681[/snapback]</div>
    I'm sorry, but that darn comment about the second transaction and holding the filler thingie for so long...well, it got me thinking about this joke from a while back...and you'll have to admit that set-up like this doesn't come along every day...
    :)

Soooooo..........this guy pulls into the gas station in his brand new Hummer.

He gets out and starts pumping gas. And pumping, and pumping, and pumping. I mean, cars come and go and *still* he's standing there, pumping.

Then, just when he's really beginning to wonder why it's taking so long, he realizes that he forgot to turn off the engine...

<rimshot>

Thank you, ladies and germs!!
    ;-)

12. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Nov 22 2007, 12:59 AM) [snapback]542833[/snapback]</div>
    But...it's true. When I lived in South Florida, dim bulbs would pull up to the pump, and leave the Hummer going, because they did not want the A/C to turn off. It's true.

Despite how that may be dangerous. I think that the human race is sometimes being run by the lowest common denominator.

13. yorkeyng

yorkeyng New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Nov 20 2007, 06:17 PM) [snapback]542147[/snapback]</div>

I'm not afraid to be public! I wholeheartedly, 100% agree with EVERYTHING you said. Thank you for having the courage to say what many of us think but are too scared or polite to post.

14. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

This horse certainly is dead. Don't worry, I'll clean up. Let me just fold down the third row and the horse'll fit right in the back!

Anyway, I could never just walk away without making a few parting comments, so here goes:

Like I said, I'm very happy with the car. I still am. Nothing posted here changed that. I bought this car for me, not for you (general you).

And of course in response to my most vocal and disrespectful critic, a few comments:

"I truly hold no anger to drivers of older SUVs. They were purchased under different times, when the minivans sucked, and oil was cheap. If you pick one up used, well, that makes sense, they exist and don't cost much. But every time you see the new GM/Ford monstrosity with a temp tag on it, it's pretty obvious they are a person who doesn't give a damn about anybody else.'

So if I had bought, as another poster suggested a, "1998 suburban", then you would have had no issue with it. It was already there, and it comes from a time when gas was cheaper. It's only the new SUV's that you have an issue with.

Wait, what? So if I had bought a used SUV which gets LESS gas mileage, puts out MORE emissions, and is MUCH LESS safe to everyone, inside and out, then you would have no problems?

And when gas cost less? So if gas drops to $1 tomorrow, all your concerns would disappear? I don't get it.

So is it about the emissions or not? Is it about the fuel consumption or not? Is it about the safety or not?

Is just about the cost of the SUV and the cost of the gas then? Well, since you are not paying for it (I certainly have received no reimbursement from you), then why do you have an issue with what I paid for the thing (which existed, it wasn't built for me) and what I pay for gas?

If you truly cared for the clean air you also spoke of, you would not overlook the older SUV's for the reasons you stated. They are worse in every possible way.

So basically, I still have no idea why you hate SUV's. You've contradicted yourself quite a lot.

And in closing, to all the PC'ers who sent Nate a PM: If you are agreeing with the substance of what he said, then there is nothing to be, as yorks put it, scared or polite to post. Just do it civilly. If you are instead agreeing with HOW he said it, then yes, you should be ashamed to post openly.

Maybe Nate doesn't know this, so I'll say it. There are two ways to present a message, the right way and the wrong way. Many people here expressed their opinions, and I had no problems with them. At least these people had a chance to have some impact on my thoughts. Then you have Nate's posts. They were rude, insensitive, and disrespectful. When you post (or speak, if in person) you will NEVER convince anyone of anything. Here this type of posting only contributed to the image that the general public has of the smug, holier-than-thou attitude which is often associated with Prius owners (and hybrids in general). The divide will only broaden.

If you are trying to win over the masses to your more intelligent, caring way of life. That is not the way to do it. So all of you who hid your posts, as I said earlier, had you been polite about it, you could have just said it. Neither my opinion or anyone else's opinion of you would have changed. And face it, that is why you sent a PM and not a public post, you were concerned about what people would think.

If you read back you will see that up until his first hate filled post, there was plenty of criticism, both of me and the car, but it was all done politely. These are the people I referred to in a past post who are the ones who's opinions I respect. Funny thing is that I originally considered Nate one of those people as well. Unfortunately the real Nate came out, and now I don't think I could ever read a post of his and not think back to this. There are others here who thought his posts were out of line, although very few actually said that.

Anyway, try not to be so cynical in life, Nate. Try and enjoy it more. Don't bother posting about how happy you are, as no one who posts such hateful things, really is. That said, I harbor no ill will towards you (or anyone else here), as everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm just sorry yo chose to express it in that manner, for in the end, you fared worse off than I did.

And finally-finally, I have no intentions of leaving PC. There is still plenty to learn here. Now if Danny asked me to leave, then I would, and I would not come back under some other user name. But until that day I'm still here. I'm still a huge fan of the Prius, and I'm still a huge fan of hybrids.

15. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I still love ya Doc, I'm just dissapointed in the decision. Have a great Thanksgiving man. :)

16. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Nov 21 2007, 10:59 PM) [snapback]542833[/snapback]</div>
    i normally dont reply with the entire post i am refering to, but Pinto, this deserves a reprint... you just made my day!!

17. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'd still like to know what 9,000 lb thing you have to tow on a regular basis.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Nov 22 2007, 03:03 AM) [snapback]542844[/snapback]</div>
    One would hope the Darwin Awards would take care of a few of these. Unfortunately, not enough.

18. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm disappointed in Doc's decision as well but have to wonder how his critics live on this planet without having some degree of a negative impact on the planet and it's residents. Maybe they'd like to post up their most recent consumer decision so that we can serve as judge and jury and advise them of the negative impact that this purchase has served for the other inhabitants of this planet.

I'm very careful to weigh the affects of my consumer purchases and I'm not exempt from this.

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Nov 21 2007, 10:59 PM) [snapback]542833[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :lol:

I think we have the joke of the day.. or even the week for that matter. Happy Thanksgiving to you folks down south.

20. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    you know, people choose to share these things with us freely. DocVijay didn't have to post any of this. i'm sure he knew he'd take a lot of flak but he put it up here anyway.

me personally, i think that SUVs that massive are a waste. Doc, i am disappointed that you're buying into the mentality that has put bigger and bigger vehicles on the road- that is, everyone else is less important than my family. yes, i understand putting your kids first, that's parental instinct. but what if YOU have a slip of attention? you know, kids fighting in the back or a long night of studying for a big case, and YOU run a red light? your vehicle is very powerful, you know, and that hangs a great responsibility upon you.

i'm sure that while your kids will be safe in that situation, and of course that's important, someone very important to someone else will be in a world of hurt if they're in a regular sized car. if DH were to get broadsided by an SUV in his car... well he's about all i've got.

THAT attitude concerns me most. i don't give a damn what you pay for gas, what you paid for the car... if you can afford it then really it's your money to waste in the short term. i can't understand it because we're still in the scraping-by phase of life.

the emissions... yeah that sucks. the dependency on foreign oil... also sucks. you know better. you know the long term consequences. do i think it's worth it to use personal information you've posted against you to make my point? no.

there, i said it. hopefully i said it respectfully and without being an donkey.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.