1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I have betrayed you all...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by DocVijay, Nov 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Nov 22 2007, 11:07 AM) [snapback]542953[/snapback]</div>
    I am still wondering why he chose to come here and boast about this acquisition. He was bound to know that it would generate scathing criticism. I can only think of one of two reasons for anyone to do so. Either he was seeking approval or he was bragging about it. If it was done with some other motive in mind, I'd be curious to know what it was.

Oh, yes, I was one of those who emailed Nate a message of support. I totally agreed with the substance of what he had to say; however, I did not want to add fuel to the flame war which was bound to erupt.

Time to eat the Turkey.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The name of the thread was a question, well actually a statement and a question.
    1/ I have betrayed you all. Well you said it eh? How would you feel toward a soldier who walked into your army barracks proclaiming he had betrayed you as a fellow foot soldier? You might answer this question in the negative?
    2/ Do you still love me? Some of the soldiers here have answered in no uncertain terms no, while very few haven't paid any mind to the sacrifices they have made and said, hey your choice but I don't agree. Some questioned whether you really considered the environment in making your choice.

I doubt you had any regard for the environment when you purchased your Prius, I think it was just a fashion statement to be cast aside like last Christmas' puppy when the novelty wore thin.

Enjoy your truck but always keep in mind, Mack and Kenworth make bigger ones so your truck is really just ordinary like the little truck the local plumber drives to work.

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This whole episode reminds me of the evil stepmother. "Mirror, mirror on the wall; who's the greenest of them all?"

Would it be right of me to condemn everyone who drives to work, instead of walking? Everyone who flies somewhere for vacation and stays in a hotel, instead of loading up the camping gear and pedalling their little butt off for days on end? I'm no Snow White myself, but we're all on this path together. Some of us are further ahead than others, and not all of us are moving at the same speed, but ridiculing those behind is just spiteful and mean. When somebody slips, you help them up, you don't laugh and call them names.

4. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  5. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Nov 22 2007, 11:04 PM) [snapback]543070[/snapback]</div>
    Exactly how I perceive all of this. And besides what you said, how does one not extend the consideration that maybe Bjorn's decisions aren't rational right now. I mean, how many of us have killed someone accidentally and than have had to try to resume "normalcy".

6. Somechic

Somechic Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can't we just agree that WANT beat out NEED years ago? Besides, you can't argue with someone's preference.

I'm curious how my married friend with 4 kids ages 8 and under gets by with a Ford Explorer. His other car is an MG - which doesn't hold much more than him.

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Somechic @ Nov 23 2007, 01:05 PM) [snapback]543256[/snapback]</div>

Doc's other car is a Volvo. Some sort of stationwagon or SUV or something.

[​IMG]

A Volvo is supposed to be a pretty safe car. And this one looks big enough to haul whatever it is Doc says he needs to haul people wise. It doesn't have DVD players for the kids? What a shame.

Of course I still don't know what 9,000 lb thing Doc need to tow since he cited the Lincoln's ability to tow 9,000 lbs as a reason for buying it.

8. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Nov 23 2007, 10:30 AM) [snapback]543266[/snapback]</div>
    Volvo XC90 Overview - Edmunds.com

9. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Nov 22 2007, 07:04 PM) [snapback]543070[/snapback]</div>
    How about condemning everyone who cooked their Thanksgiving turkey on an outdoor grille instead of roasting it in the oven? Grilles are horribly inefficient since they aren't insulated, and the fuels they burn produce lots of greenhouse gases. Some of you even added wood chunks to fuel to make more smoke. Those of you who did that should park the Prius and take public transportation for the next year to atone for your sins.

10. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Nov 23 2007, 01:56 PM) [snapback]543282[/snapback]</div>
    I don't have any studies or statistics, but I suspect those Big Green Eggs are better insulated than the oven in my house. Mine burns NG. Don't know how the stacks up to the emissions from a BGE burning charcoal.

11. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Nov 21 2007, 07:55 PM) [snapback]542712[/snapback]</div>
    The Guys at West Coast Customs PimPed a Hijet is one of their episodes.... ;)
    It was a cool ride..... B)

Also 11/21/2007 My father stopped by to show me his newly leased MKX, He was tired of the poor MPGs of the Moutaineer.

I asked why he didnt just get a Hyhilander? He said Toyota wouldnt give him any deals like Lincoln did.... He said they are really hurting for business and offered him a $450 a month lease with 15k miles a year. the mileage was another point what he looked at (16 mpg / 24 mpg) and they threw in the dual DVD headrest players free..... :rolleyes:

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hycamguy07 @ Nov 26 2007, 09:17 AM) [snapback]544287[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah... two of my friends are thinking of getting luxury SUVs (well their parents actually). Now they are thinking fuel efficiency cause they're looking at the V6 versions but even those are rated at 14L/100km (16-17mpg). <gulp!>

They're pretty stubborn when it comes to hybrid technology. It's not even on their radar and they won't try it (mostly cause they don't want another Japanese car since they've had it all their life and they want to move upscale in the automotive ladder and well the only one is the RXh which is expensive in Canada and doesn't hve the new HiHy features).

13. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well this thread would have been cast away by the mods, as a trolling type thread if it had been started by a newbie & not DVJ.

It seems that quite a few people are seeing the light through the fog..... Patsparks seems to have founf the plug and plugged it in (so to speak) :)

Im guessing if a person is going to purchase the Ultamate Truck (status symbol or manhood status). They would buy one of these, the next best thing would be the Navagator, Escalade, Suburban or Mercedes. ;)
    [​IMG]

I like that, a fashion statment or the in thing at the time) Is that a negative statement? Yeppers. ! ;)

If one reads between the lines its there as plain as the nose on their face... :rolleyes:

But his ego is not whats on the block here, it was the XL SUV purchase. When other choices would have made better sence to most of us, that was his choice. In all fairness Im guessing he should go join the Navagator boards.. or for the rest of his time here on PC to become bannished to FHOP land.. :lol: :lol:

14. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Hi Doc!

Haven't seen you on here in a while, and I'm very glad to know your Prius protected you well in your accident, and that you are ok. I guess I'm finding out about this thread kinda late, and I'm sorry to hear that you didn't feel the need to replace your Prius with another, and I for one will surely miss the mods threads that we would have had from all the work you could have done on a new '08 touring edition!!

While I totally disagree with your current vehicle purchase, I support your right to buy what ever you like. I feel bad in that I, perhaps naively, have thought that most Prius owners, at least the regular posters on here, are of a similar ilk as I am for their reasoning behind buying the Prius, i.e. helping the environment, reducing our dependence on fossil fuels, better mileage, etc, etc, etc.

I hate the fact that there will now be more gas consumed, more emissions, more waste, and despite all the rationalization and justification, no one "needs" a vehicle like that. Perhaps "want", but no, I just don't think "need" is entirely accurate.

I can also understand Nate's feelings. Again, its almost a feeling of betrayal, or just losing a friend, who knows. Regardless, now it looks like we may have lost two valued members of this forum....... gosh, I hope not......

So long Doc. All the best my friend!! B)

Dave

15. bulldog

bulldog Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I always laugh when people say they buy SUVs for the safety of their family. Looking at crash test results a SUV is no safer than a well designed sedan, and in many cases sedans actually do better than SUVs in the various crash tests.

However what people forget, in their SUV argument, is that all that metal that creates the illusion of protection also includes a much higher center of gravity and weight. This makes the SUV less likely to stop as well as a sedan, and even more important far less likely to execute an evasive manuever succesfully.

The net sum is actually that you have reduced you and your families safety by buying a huge SUV, and have sacrifised on the most important safety feature of all -- AVOIDING THE ACCIDENT IN THE FIRST PLACE.

An interesting stat is that the US list well below most of western europe in road fatalities per capita, we have twice the fatalities that Germany has. Which is interesting as general speeds in Germany is far higher than in the US. Better drivers? Less miles travelled? Or maybe it is our obsession with "safe" road monsters (sorry full size SUVs)?

http://www.driveandstayalive.com/info%20section/statistics/stats-multicountry-percapita-2004.htm

Another interesting statistic is to look at how our road death per capita improved in the last 15 years or so, comapred to other first world countries. You will notice from the link below that the US have not done so well, given all the modern safety technology, is it becuase the 90s also included the SUV craze in the US and we ended up with almost no improvement even with all the new safety technology. That while countries like Germany and Australia halfed the fatalities per capita during the same period. So I would like someone to tell me again SUVs, especially those full size monsters are safer than cars.
    http://www.driveandstayalive.com/info section/statistics/multi-country_death-rates_1988-2001.htm

16. tballx

tballx New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've finally read this thread. Been dreading it since I knew it would provoke an emotional response. Got to say I completely agree with the level of frustration that Naterprius expressed. I don't expect any sympathy but it is a drag running around composting every orange peel, changing every light to CFL, insulating every crevice, planning my driving routes to minimize consumption, taking the bus when I can when it is all basically nullified by another's complete lack of ability to perceive the seriousness of the situation. I remember seeing a journalist photo of a wall in a marine barrack's in Baghdad and on it was a chalkboard with the message "The Marines are at war. America is at the mall." Perhaps you could just send the money to the King of Saud directly.

Forget the fact that the Northwest passage has just opened this last summer for the first time in recorded history. Forget the fact that atmospheric CO2 has reached levels not seen since the pleiocene epoch. Forget the fact if meteorological and climatic projections are correct, your own state will be devastated by storms of higher intensity, sea levels encroaching nearly 400 feet inland, salt water contamination of water supplies, greater incidence of heat related illness and possibly the complete collapse of the Everglades as wildlife preserve. Forget all that.

In the next 40 years when your kids ask you what the Hell you were thinking you can flash them one of those nifty DVDs that they used to watch. Maybe it'll mesmerize them into submission again.

Your decision was one of neolithic incompetence and stupidity. Good luck.

17. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Now, say what you mean...

:D

18. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm still not comfortable with this whole shunning thing. OK, so one of us bought a pricey porker instead of a Pious. It's a car. One. BFD. Compare that to how many new cars are built every day, or how many coal plants China builds every week. How many of us travel half way around the world for vacation, or eat foods that have travelled thousands of miles? Enough with the sanctimonious crap.

19. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Why did the thread starter do this?

Wasn't it a no-brainer the of the reaction?

20. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The term narcissism comes to mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.