1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I have betrayed you all...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by DocVijay, Nov 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The OP should have expected people to register their disapproval, yes. But to be called a murderer, told to get off the board, being labelled as unfit to be a human being, and blamed for ills we ALL contribute to, no. That's the part that strikes me as just a tad unreasonable.

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I haven't gone through the accident thread, but it's possible it is simply because others expressed interest in what he was going to do?

3. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

Egotistical comes to mind..

4. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I was at the store today and walked past one of those brand new Navigators. Hoy GOD! that thing's a beast. Looks bigger than the Excursion if that's possible. If you have a lot of people to drive around then it makes sense but I'll bet Ford and the oil companies that it's in bed with just LOVE you.

5. GlobalWarmer

GlobalWarmer New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If the Navigator ever feels a little too small, I recommend the Lincoln LT pickup. You could even add a camper shell to maximize the enclosed cargo space.

6. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

I'll just use a couple of tie-downs to keep the kids from flying around. Anyway, it's actually smaller then the Navigator L.

So, I have gotten enough miles on the Navigator to get some real mileage numbers. I promised I would post when I had some, so here they are. My average so far is 17.1 mpg. My highest was 18.8 mpg on a trip down to Miami. My lowest was 13.3 with a trailer on the back. Overall considering the sheer size of the things those numbers are pretty good.

I'm happy with the truck so far. It's very comfortable. I do miss my Prius, but I have no regrets about buying this one. We have taken a couple of trips to Disney, and it sure was nice to be able to fit seven people plus our strollers and gear all in one car. And not just fit seven people, but all seven comfortably. That's something we couldn't do in our Volvo. We could fit it all, but we were not comfortable. Well, the two up front were, but everyone else was crunched. Too many add a third row just to say they have three rows without actually having the room to do so.

Anyway, love it or hate it, it's a very nice, comfortable vehicle. I like it, my wife likes it, my kids like it (my oldest son is nuts over it), and my parents like it (they may get one themselves). And that's all that matters.

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I do not know. It's too much of a leviathan for my tastes. The Lotus, though, now there's a hot ride. If you're ever on this side of the rock looking for some twisty roads, let me know. :D

8. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah, that is all that matters. The planet? Doesn't matter. Other people? They don't matter. Thinking about people other then yourself? Doesn't matter.

THIS is the EXACT attitude that is killing this planet, and that, well, that MATTERS.

Sheesh.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    17-18mpg is pretty good for that size.

10. TJandGENESIS

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So? Really, he went from a Prius to this monster. He went from trying to help the planet, in some small way, to that. If you want to have a SUV, that is a Hybrid, and helps a little bit more overall, Toyota offers the Highlander, which gets better mileage then a standard SUV. Ford has a Hybrid SUV. Even Chevy is coming out with one. At the very least, with a Toyota Hybrid, every time you stop, or are on the Electric, you are not polluting the environment. I can't speak for the Ford or Chevy.

But every little bit helps. With his monster truck, it's like for every step I take forward with my Hybrid Highlander, he takes three back. Yes, we can all agree that Freedom of Choice is important, but at some point, especially when you have gone and owned a Hybrid, you can't/shouldn't go backwards.

He speaks of having kids; what kind of example is he giving them? 'Screw the planet, as long as you are happy, it's okay'? I mean, what kind of planet will he leave with this monster? It's not just about the MPG, although that is important, but it's about the overall air quality, that affects the environment for his kids.

I don't have kids, and I could, I suppose, just say 'Screw it' like he has. But I for one and many others, are trying to take steps towards fixing this problem. Not make it worse. And gas hogs like his, (with real world every day A/C on in Florida MPG probably much less), just continue the cycle of this problem. Not to mention how we continue to just be slaves to OPEC and with more gas hogs on the road, we are just continuing the slave mentality.

I can't believe that he gets a 'pass' on this monster truck, just because he once owned a Prius. If anything, this makes him, as the title of the thread suggests, a bigger betrayer of the planet then if he just owned one with no previous conscious effort to try and change things.

11. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe he never was trying to help the planet, maybe the Prius, like the Land Yacht Navigator was just a fashion statement.

12. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The question I love to ask:

How did we survive before 1985 when SUVs were rare and most large pickup were actually driven by contractors? Maybe America was a third-world country during that era. :rolleyes:

13. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There are those people that are simply not able to relate the state of the environment to that of their own existence. It's the norm rather than the exception. This is the exact reason that environmentalists are trying to now tie conservation matters to that of one's direct benefit derived from same (mostly economically). It's rather bewildering to me that we all know that we cannot survive without "clean" resources yet we have to further quantify the need for these "clean" resources by the economical value they lend to our existence.

I'll excuse Doc. He accidentally killed people. I don't know what kind of choices I'd be making if I were in his shoes. It's the other people that I know have implemented rational decision making and go out and engage in purchases that knowingly affect the "clean" resources on which we all rely. Which, as I write this, now lends an irony to Doc's new purchase. After all, doesn't pollution kill too?

14. blazer_5154

blazer_5154 Heh, you said "member"

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    After all don't 3+ ton vehicles kill too???

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've always wondered that every time someone says "for some people, an SUV is a necessity"

I understand your frustration but I was merely trying to view it from all angles rather than "all SUVs are bad and so are the people driving them".

That is not to say I love SUVs, I don't except for the compact ones.

I was gonna give you a comparison between the XC90 and Navigator's rated mpg (in Canada) but FoMoCo Canada conveniently left that bit out and would rather give you the "offroad capability" than fuel mileage. It's not available on their website :rolleyes:.

The point I was trying to make was would you rather he take two cars for 7 passengers + cargo?

16. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Or maybe people drove large station wagons like the Olds Vista-Cruiser.
    MOTHERS®: 1966 Oldsmobile Vista-Cruiser: Brochure

17. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
  18. TJandGENESIS

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  19. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    DocVJ is really not the core problem. Thank goodness he is honest and continues to post despite some of the adverse comments.

I drive a Prius, but I am doing damage since it is still a gas car. He does not deserve antagonism and I do not deserve much praise for the vehicle selected. I should be driving an electric vehicle, but I am not. DocVJ should be driving an electric vehicle that hauls the 7 passengers sensibly, but he is not.

The lack of really sustainable vehicle options is the core problem right now.

20. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think maybe before we draw a line in the sand and start declaring ourselves kings of the green castles, we should take a more comprehensive look at our footprint. Like, not just our choice of vehicles, but the impact of our entire lifestyle. Is there an online calculator somewhere to help with this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.