1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I have hated Prius since the beginning but....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Wrecit, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Wrecit

Wrecit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Over the past 21 years I have constantly made fun of Prius cars. 16 months ago I blew up the engine in my car and needed something cheap and quick though. Jumped on Facebook marketplace and listing #3 was a first gen 2001 for 1700 with 170,000 miles. I figured what the hell it has to last 2 months 3 tops then I will get a real car.

After 2 weeks I tried real hard to justify getting something better but by then it was to late because I realized there is nothing better. Flash to 3 weeks ago, time for pa auto inspection. My baby is still rock solid 50,000 miles and 16 months older but her rockers (in and out) are toast. Unfortunatly I can not justify $3000 in body work so I am in the market again but there is only one thing I am looking for.......another Prius.

I really like the third gen interior but I came across a second gen and wanted to get some input. I think I can get it for $2000 because there are a few issues.

1) JBL system has at least 1 blown front speaker
    2) hood has about 30 paint pops assuming from sand ect hits
    3) 210,000 miles

And now the big one
    4) the red triangle of death.

It is still running and the dash says 180 miles at 31mpg. Used trusty Dr Prius and battery life is 7% but all cells are reading good except cell 14.

Other than the battery code the car reads solid.

I am mechanically capable and have watched a dozen youtube cell replacement videos and it seems straight forward. I would just need the battery to make it a few months because I am really interested in the litho battery upgrade and would have no problem kicking out the money to do the upgrade.

Question is for the DIY guys. Would you drop the cash on a Florida body (no rust at all) 05 or hold out for a gen 3

I did record the Dr Prius real time and can post screen shots if that will help. The battery life test took about 15 minutes to get to 100% and assuming that is because of the bad cell

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just get the 05, gen 3 has its own set of issues

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What you called the "red triangle of death" is known as the "master warning light" and it is just that, a light that comes on for flat-out hundreds of conditions, some of which are major and some quite minor. If you haven't had an opportunity to retrieve the trouble codes that will tell why the MWL is on, that would be a good idea.

4. ozmatt

ozmatt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    gen2 is a good car but getting long in the tooth, im starting to see problems now that were never a thing for me 5 years ago such as blown head gaskets, brake actuators and leaking battery modules just to name a few

the gen3 is much better to use in my opinion but also has issues such as egr valve, head gaskets, battery, .. but if i had to keep one car out of these two i would definitely keep my gen3 hands down it just feels and drives better in my opinion, i will take these issues as a trade off for a more comfortable and modern ride

I spent more time this summer fixing things on my partners gen2 than i did my gen3

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You're in a much tougher market due to rust from road salt... Out here on the west coast Prius are everywhere 'because the rust doesn't ruin 'em.

If there's no rust and because you loved the Gen1 I'd definitely get the 2005... Gen2 is an amazing refinement of Gen1 and Gen3 is not as much a refinement as a different, less classic car when it come to Prius as far as I'm concerned. Besides the early version of Gen3 don't have as reliable engines in the long run.

6. Wrecit

Wrecit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Dont remember the code off top of my head but it is cell 9 and 14 of the t battery. Cell 9 is within .5 cell 14 is almost 2 down