1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I have nuts in my prius c no I really do

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by blueduce, Oct 27, 2013.

1. blueduce

blueduce Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yes i know it sounds crazy.turn on my heat the other day, fan was real noisy, so before i took my c to dealer i would drop fan motor look for myself .what i found was squirrel's stached acorn nut's in my squirrel cage.(see picture) ya it sound's like it should be normal but not in a car.broke through filter . a remedy was in-store, so i removed cowl cover, wiper's were a little tough,i removed nut's and rocked wiper back and forth until they released. coulple clips later and it's off .as you can see there was a 12-5 opening a cat could fit in.(see picture)so i cut some chicken wire to fit 'there were a few studs there allready to attach it too.(see picture) i also put some wire on rear of car under bumper were mice could get in.(see picture) took me about 2 hours total. good luck Jim WP_20131024_003.jpg WP_20131025_001.jpg WP_20131025_004.jpg WP_20131025_007.jpg WP_20131025_012.jpg

2. ewaboy

ewaboy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Oh boy - I've been through this. Long story short - 2001 Prizm- turn on AC- horrible clunking noises - AC quits. Several days later car smells bad!!!!! Finally take it in - they call after a few hours - need to replace squirrel cage fan. Showed me original fan when I picked up the car - dried, decayed remains of a rat stuck to inside of fan. Car smelled for a couple months - no one would ride with me. Car deodorizer and windows down - smell finally went away after a few months. Sorry for a repeat post as I've posted this story before.

By the way - that screen may not stop rats as they can squeeze through any hole big enough to stick their head (skull) through.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Gen2 has been plagued with rat infestations too. May posts about it. Seems worse in the Northeast and if car is not garaged but Op never listed where they live. Apparently rats like the taste of the wiring. Always evidence in the cabin filter.

Good job on the screening but like ewaboy said the holes are to big for mouse protection. Mice will be next.

4. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    wow. that's a lot of work. hope it works out!

that kind of thing has to suck.

5. blueduce

blueduce Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Rats that why i don't live in Hawaii here in Indiana only have chipmonks storing acorns, and mice that can't fit in a quarter inch square hole been living here 25 years they haven't gotten in yet.

6. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Well it must not be a vagina on wheels as some have said. They have to admit yours has nuts! even if you did remove them.:ROFLMAO:

7. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, it is a lot of work. Not having mice, squirrels, or rats calling the Prius home is priceless. It is also a health issue, breathing in rodent excrement is not good for you.

I did the wire cloth on my GenII and haven't had any more rodent invasions.

DBCassidy