1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I have returned!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jeffery Merrill, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Jeffery Merrill

Jeffery Merrill Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, a little over a year and a half later it looks like I am finally going to get my Prius. Due to family deciding for me what I was to get(since they were fronting me the money) I was saddled with a 2005 Corolla. Only after it was purchased did I find it had a laundry list of problems, but over a year and a couple thousand in repairs I had it back to like new shape. Then, on New Years Day, a few minutes after midnight, I got T-boned by a driver who lost control on a snowpacked road. Needless to say I am VERY unhappy.

But, now I should be able to buy the car I wanted all along, a Gen 2 Prius. This time I don't have family breathing down my neck on what I buy. I found out later that their hangup with their own prius was their lack of understanding what they had and what I wanted. They have an 04 Base, no bells, no whistles, just the basic car. I, however, am looking at the 06 through 09 models. Traction control, SKS, 6 disc JBL sound system, you know, the important things to a single pizza delivery dude, LMAO! Not concerned with the Nav anymore but I do still want the phone op board and a back up camera. I've been delivering long enough to have 90% or more of my area memorized so I rarely need a Nav anymore.

Just for shits and giggles I trained myself for any and all kinds of repairs I could foresee, from battery cell testing and replacement to an engine swap, I can now do it all. Time and dedication work wonders when I am bored and interested in a subject! I expect in the next week or two I will be posting new pics of my new to me Prius!

See you again soon!

Attached Files:

VFerdman likes this.
  2. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Sounds like you're OK after the collision - good thing. Welcome back.

Jeffery Merrill likes this.
  3. Jeffery Merrill

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm okay, probably too stubborn for my own health, lol! Actually, I did have to go to the ER on Thursday, pinched nerve in my hip made it almost impossible to walk, and a slight sprain in the ankle. Otherwise, good to go.

4. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Prius makes an excellent delivery vehicle. For me though, a CD-mounted phone holder, charge cable from the cig-lighter, and bluetooth adapter plugged into the AUX port in the center console was all that was needed. The Prius is much more back-heavy than a corolla in the snow, so if you routinely get dumped on, a full set of snow tires is a great investment.

WilDavis and Jeffery Merrill like this.
  5. Jeffery Merrill

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've already talked to my tire guy. I have Continentals on my Corolla and he will swap them with the tires on the Prius, assuming they are the same size. If not, I'll get a goodly discount for a new set and he can resell the Conti's to someone else, they only have about 5K miles on them.

6. Jeffery Merrill

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You know, I just had another thought. My fuel savings will increase dramatically. My car is running from the time I start work to the time I go home. In a Prius it only runs when the battery needs charging. So, I imagine I will be running engine off for the bulk of my shift. And even better, once I install the Preventative Maintenance Grid Charger for the Gen 2 it will help my mileage even more! God, I just love Prius!!!!!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congrats

If you are planning on a Prolong grid charger get their intelligent discharger too to recondition your battery. Many here swear by it.

WilDavis likes this.
  8. Jeffery Merrill

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't see a discharger in the shop. Where would I find it?

9. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you are buying everything new, you want the Deluxe Reconditioning Package.(Be sure to select your vehicle.)

It is composed of 3 parts. The charger, the discharge-ready harness, and the discharger. @Raytheeagle has used one for a while. HE and another user share the system, each with their own wiring harness, IIRC.

There is an older light bulb discharger that requires very close monitoring for a long time, but it was initially all that was available. The owner, @jeff652 has not been seen here much lately. I think he is busy promoting his faster ProlongPro systems to garages.

Jeffery Merrill and Raytheeagle like this.
  10. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome back(y).

I have the Prolong deluxe setup (which is the bulbless Discharger) and it works very well :). Jeff has had this Intelligent Discharger out for about a year now, and it is so much easier than the bulbs;).

@Prodigyplace is right, I share the setup with another member in our geographic area. He has a Gen2 and I have a Gen3 , which if you have a harness installed, is plug and play between the two Prii:).

There are some DIY members in your general area that you might touch base with and see their interest level in sharing. Ultimately it is a great preventative maintenance tool and finding someone who knows and respects it for this value is key;).

No problem with that out here. We just loaned out the setup to another member to rebuild his pack. He bought that harness and used it successfully:).

Good luck with your purchase (y).

WilDavis and Jeffery Merrill like this.
  11. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    He mentioned his parents have an 04 Prius. I thought that would be a potential for sharing.

12. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I read it but most not have stuck:sick:.

But sharing is still a great feature if you can find others who agree. If family even better (maybe not in the OP’s case);).

Another wise investment will be a Techstream setup(y).

Jeffery Merrill and Prodigyplace like this.
  13. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    More coffee "glue" needed? :D

14. Jeffery Merrill

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Geographically speaking sharing this would be impossible, I live about 2300ish miles away from them, lol. My Aunt and Uncle live out in Cali and I moved to South Bend/Mishawaka back in 201I'll look into the setup you suggested. Hopefully there will be enough left over to purchase it, along with a couple other items I want for the Prius I buy.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  15. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  16. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I was giving you an example of my situation ;).

It is possible to find those in your area with Gen3 and Gen2’s who might be interested :).

But it sits on the shelf most of the time. So why not find these who might use it(y).

Jeffery Merrill likes this.
  17. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Having the ability to top end balance is a start, but that only gets you so far;).

18. Jeffery Merrill

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My apologies, I didn't mean to seem like I was nit picking, just clarifying where the family was located. Will surely look up local to see who would be interested.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  19. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    No worries, it’s all good;).

Good luck with your search, but one member in the Grand Rapids area whose a preventative maintenance minded individual is @mjoo (y).

20. DMC-5180

DMC-5180 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don’t want to hijack your thread. I’m curious how long it takes to do the pack rebalancing with the Pro-kit mentioned above. Days or hours? Are their any temperature conditions that need to be complied with for best results.

iPhone X ?

Raytheeagle and Jeffery Merrill like this.