1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I Have Seen The Next Generation Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by enerjazz, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice but does not seem very practical other than a commute car. It would be a PIA getting the little one in the car seat. Not to mention I woud probably get blown off the road with 60 MPH crosswinds (something I never experienced in Japan).

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ...and carbon fibre composites even less so. I made the comparison only for relative cost. But that's fine: we weren't talkin' about cheap in an absolute sense, we were talkin' about light.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Titanium ores are extremely common. There is a new process for direct electrolytic reduction from the oxide dissolved in a molten salt, which was previously thought impossible. True, it's more difficult to work and thus probably would be more expensive than aluminum, but I'd pay more to have a titanium car than an aluminum one. Kinda like the way many of us paid more to have a Prius instead of something else.

4. ltu1542hvy

ltu1542hvy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Trabbi was the epitome of a cheap, crappy East Block car, but I am almost positive that it was not made of carbon fiber. I may be mistaken, but I believe the body was made of plastic. I spent a year as an exchange student in West Berlin in the 80's and went to the East fairly frequently and saw plenty of Trabbis with body damage where parts of the fender was broken off. We used to joke that the body was made of paper mache.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That wasn't a joke! The outer bodywork of Trabants really was made from something very like paper mache! (Although the manufacturer refered to it as "synthetic resin bonded paper - SRBP" ; similar to the stuff found on very early electrical circuit boards). 8)

One of our manufacturers over here still makes sports-car chassis out of wood too.... :wink:

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I was thinking Prius/DeLorean

7. ltu1542hvy

ltu1542hvy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clett\";p=\"77619)</div>
    Back in '88 I actually got "treated" to a ride in a '71 Trabant sedan for about 10 minutes in East-Berlin. The body had so much flex in it that it took another 10 minutes of throwing your shoulder against the door to get it to open once we got there. And those things do sound like popcorn poppers while stopped at a traffic light.

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    that car would be worth while if it got say 100 mpg... imho, the insight is not worth the sacrifices especially to gain less than 10 mpg on it.

but double the Prius mileage and it would be ok. most commuters travel alone anyway.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA\";p=\"77794)</div>
    It doesn't get 100 mpg.... it gets over 140 mpg! It's a Daihatsu UFE-II, and has a 660cc Atkinson cycle petrol engine mated to Toyota’s HSD system.

Aerodynamic coefficient in an incredible 0.19! :eek:

[Broken External Image]:http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/ecotech/ufe32.jpg

[Note to moderators: please remove picture if inappropriate :wink: ].

10. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    if it gets that much, then it will have a market here. obviously it will have a market no doubt. this would be a dream come true in china and no doubt where they will concentrate marketing on.

11. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA\";p=\"77843)</div>
    If it gets that much, every state will have to find ways to make up for the shortfall in gasoline taxes!!

12. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    that maybe true, but i believe that China will be the main market

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA\";p=\"77552)</div>
    2.1 eh? are you sure that's not some LM version? cause the McLaren F1 challenger right now would be the Koenigsegg CCR from Sweden. That'll do 0-60 in 3.0. Actually, there is a version of the CCR that has beaten the world record. 388km/h I believe. I can fish up that article if you wish as it's fairly recent.

Clett, are you referring to Morgan?

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius\";p=\"78219)</div>
    Yup. Though I think the latest models have started to sneak in some aluminium parts and less wood in the chassis. The enthusiasts aren't impressed!

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    such as the new Plus 8? Interesting but, though to each his/her own opinion, I think the new Plus 8 is rather ugly. Gimme the classic Plus 4 design any day.