1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I have the brake abs trac warning lights on. With the brake accumulator leak code. Quick questions

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by bagn, May 31, 2022.

1. bagn

bagn New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have the code thrown re low pressure in the accumulator... I know I need to replace parts ..... It cycles every 12 seconds so I know there's a problem. I listened to the Accumulator with a stethoscope and got no hissing or any noises. However, from the Brake Actuator I hear it loosing pressure ..hard to explain the noise but when it gets quieter the accumulator kicks in.. Am i right in thinking just replace the actuator or should I change both? Thanks!

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I would tend to replace the one that I hear the noise in first and I guess you got to locate the part

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think I'm not alone in struggling with the names. There's an upper and lower component. The upper one:

upload_2022-6-1_9-3-0.png

And lower one:

upload_2022-6-1_9-4-42.png

I see also, while the main part description does not say "accumulator", Toyota does use the term when discussing it (per the following).

If you're replacing the lower one, there's a revised version (supposedly "fixed"), and Toyota in their wisdom didn't change the part number. Instead they rotated a label on one of the barrels, 90 degrees:

upload_2022-6-1_9-12-37.png

(full document attached)

Attached Files:

#3 Mendel Leisk, Jun 1, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Lower is accumulator pump assy upper is actuator . You step on pedal the actuator starts the process then the accumulator and pump fire in is what it looks like.

#4 Tombukt2, Jun 1, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
    bagn likes this.
  5. bagn

bagn New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    ok so i have the rotated Label on the "bottom" pats .. the noise is in the top brake booster with master ... so off i go to find one !

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Right, that lower assembly, labeled the booster pump assembly, is also called the accumulator assembly.

When you look at it, it is two round things. One has electrical connections; it's the electric pump. The round thing next to it is the accumulator. When the pump pushes fluid into it, pressure accumulates. Once you know what it does and why it's called that, it's hard to mix it up.

The upper assembly can be called all of: the master cylinder, the booster (but not the booster pump), the actuator, and the skid ECU. It can be called all of those things because it is all of those things.

As the master cylinder, it has pistons that put pressure on the fluid when you press the pedal. As the booster, it applies extra pressure (the pressure that's already stored in the accumulator, thanks to the pump) behind those pistons, so your leg power is boosted. As the actuator, it has valves directing the resulting pressure to the four brakes as needed. And the skid ECU is there on the side of it, coordinating all that.

The pump and accumulator don't do anything special to "fire in" when you use the brakes. Their job is just to keep pressure available all the time in the accumulator, and pump it back up when it drops, just like the pump and pressure tank in a house with well water. The master cylinder, booster, and actuator just use that pressurized fluid whenever they need it.

CR94 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. JSB_99

JSB_99 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Do you have less than 150K miles? If so with a 2013 you should be covered under the warranty extension ZJB since you have the code showing up. If so dealer will replace both for free.

nate358 likes this.