1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I haven't driven my Prius in a while, can I charge it while in park?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by priuslyfe, Aug 30, 2022.

1. priuslyfe

priuslyfe Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Basically I have had to use my other car for work and when I come home really don't go out. Tomorrow I need to do some yardwork and was wondering if its OK to basically have something (a brick or stick) to push down the accelerator while the car is in park. The point of this would be to charge the battery to simulate driving.

Would this work? and if not is there another way (other than drive it).

Thanks.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Unless I could dial it in it like 12-1500 RPMs I wouldn't want to just leave it sitting there with it predominantly pressed down not even sure how long that will stay that way The computer may realize it stop it No car drives like that it thinks and then what's going to happen You're going to leave it sit again for another few weeks because you have to drive your other car yep then you need to maybe get the Venice hybrid type charger or you could put two little doodads or a mount in the back for the charger leads to connect to so when it's sitting you can charge it of course not very long with the Venice hybrid charger you won't run that thing maybe an hour possibly two and that battery will be full so you got to have somebody to shut it off or have the box on a timer.

priuslyfe likes this.
  3. Aegean

Aegean Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yes you can but the method depends on which battery you are trying to charge.

To charge the 12v battery you can just leave it in ready mode and P for 2-3 hours. Very inefficient. I would use a 12v AGM charger.

To charge the HV battery you can use force charging. Put the car in ready and D. Fully press the brake and the accelerator. The HV battery will charge to green in a few minutes.

Nevertheless driving the car for a few miles is more fun.

priuslyfe and bisco like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Have you got a nearby AC outlet? If so, use a smart charger; just leave it hooked up. Owner's Manual recommends around 3.5 amp rating for second gen (page 433). You should be fine exceeding that a bit, say under 5 amps.

priuslyfe likes this.
  5. priuslyfe

priuslyfe Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I do have a smart charger but have always been apprehensive to use it.

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Our 2010 is on a smart charger ‘round the clock; we only drive every 3~7 days, and it’s constantly plugged in between. Having a quick-connect wired in.

priuslyfe likes this.
  7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You don't need to do anything special with the accelerator at all to charge the 12 volt battery. Unlike a conventional car with an alternator, the Prius does not charge that battery any faster at higher engine RPMs. Reportedly, at least some generations in fact reduce the charge voltage while you are driving, and boost it while sitting in Park. Sitting in Park is just fine for keeping the 12 volt battery charged.

For the traction battery, there is a "force charge" function you can activate by holding the brake and accelerator together, but it is only for special purposes. Just making the car READY will do everything necessary to bring the traction battery to its normal range of charge state and keep it there.

priuslyfe and Moving Right Along like this.
  8. priuslyfe

priuslyfe Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    OK....wait....are you saying ALL I have to do is turn the car on (pressing the brake and power button) and that is sufficient to charge the 12v and HV battery?

OR are you saying to just push the power button and leave the car on (without depressing the brake)

OR are you saying I have to do both to charge both batteries?

thanks.

9. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Don't complicate this. Go drive the car. You need to brake pads to clean the rust off the rotors from the rain anyway. There is a way to force charge without moving but full throttle on the gas pedal won't do it. Just go drive the car man

priuslyfe likes this.
  10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That charges only the 12V battery, even if just parked, though it must be in READY mode. The HV battery will end up with 2 or 3 bars, not the typical 6 that you may see when driving, and you may hear the engine cycling on and off.

If you don't press the brake while pushing the power button to start, then the car will not go to READY, and the 12V will not charge, and may end up dead. But at least the HV battery won't drain.

You have to do both, AND either go drive it, or learn about "force charging" (see Chapman's post), if you want to charge the HV battery above 2 or 3 bars.

priuslyfe likes this.
  11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    To keep this stuff clearer, it helps to use the same terminology we all know. There is a mode called ON, and a mode called READY. ON is where you get with two button pushes and no brake. READY is where you get when you press the brake and push the button. You can tell READY mode because the word READY lights up in green on the dash.

READY mode is the only mode that charges anything. As long as you are in READY mode, the car will charge the 12 volt battery just as well as, if not better than, actively driving.

READY mode will also make sure that the traction battery is charged into its target range, if it needs it. If the charge on the battery is lower than the car considers desirable, it will run the engine and charge it. It will not bring the battery to an excessively high state of charge, just only to a moderate and acceptable one, and that's the behavior the engineers programmed in to achieve a long battery life.

As others have mentioned, there are other reasons besides battery charging for why it's good to take the car for an actual spin regularly.

priuslyfe and jerrymildred like this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Overcome that fear??

We're driving VERY infrequently, albeit goodly length as often as not. And I have a CTEK Multi US 4.3 smart charger hooked up (with a wired quick-connect, for convenience, secure connection) all the time it's idle. The latest battery was installed in September of 2015, and tests like new (using a Solar BA5).

priuslyfe likes this.
  13. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It would be nice if there was a way to automatically put the car into an ‘outdoor storage mode’ that periodically places the car into READY mode for long enough to maintain batteries at charge and avoid the problem with discharge.

priuslyfe likes this.
  14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    They might need a whole new section in the manual to hold warnings about that.

In the Gen 3, some trims have a "remote A/C" function, where a button on the key fob can put the car in READY for 20 minutes or so and run the A/C. They added a whole bunch of warnings about that. (Pretty much everything is powered in READY mode, so, did you leave the wipers on when you left the car last? Have your kids got their fingers near the wipers when you're pressing that remote A/C button? That kind of thing.)

Having the Prius suddenly spring to life unattended on some schedule, with nobody even pressing a button, might be one place Toyota doesn't really want to go.

priuslyfe and Mendel Leisk like this.
  15. priuslyfe

priuslyfe Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I just drove my Prius aimlessly on the highway for 30 minutes in total because I had some free-time.

However, if you were busy and unable to drive your Prius often for whatever reason (maybe have to take the kids to school so you have to take the minivan or you work in construction so you have to drive your F-250) HOW OFTEN & WHAT AMOUNT OF TIME/DISTANCE/SPEED would you have to drive the Prius during your maintenance-drives..... to keep it all systems charged & active?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you've got the wherewithal, I'd hook up the charger.

We went through a phase, where both me and the wife were retired, money was tight, purposely going for drives to keep battery drain at bay, then started thinking "this is for the birds...".

17. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Is Toyota still trying to gouge people for that function with a monthly lease gimmick

18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Were they ever? In Gen 3, if your trim has it, it's just a button on your fob, and it works.

19. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Given that Toyota has jumped that shark on the remote climate function, probably the only technically feasible way on a gen2 is trying to modify something like an aftermarket Viper remote start to periodically trigger and shutdown.

20. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring