1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I hit a deer

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tynyyn, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Tynyyn

Tynyyn Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The rump of the deer crushed my drivers side headlight and crumpled the hood just where it touches the light. My question is will I have to pull the hood crumple out so the indenture will not hit the new light fixture? What do I need to know about replacing the headlight? Is it an easy procedure or does it take a brain surgeons skill set?

Do the deer horns actually work or are they just ugly additions to the bumper?

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I live on a deer path. There are a few strikes on our road every fall.

I've found a few deer whistles amongst the shattered wreckage that turns up on my curb, so I don't think they work well.

Sept-Dec, nothing works as well as slowing down.

jerrymildred and DLC82SV like this.
  3. DLC82SV

DLC82SV Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    My wife and I bought a brand new Sonata and argued about them. The very next day she hit a deer and ripped the front end off the car. After making 3 payments before getting to enjoy the car at all we agreed that she was out of line and that the car should have deer whistles. Not a week later a big buck was running full sprint down an embankment and heard my whistles and locked em up. Front hoofs out front sliding. He slid to a stop and stood there terrified and watched me pass. They only work when you are going atleast 35. When I pass deer doing 25 sometimes they don't even look up. Like if there isn't enough airflow or the deer doesn't hear them they don't help obviously. Good investment for 8 bucks at autozone. Pun intended.

4. DLC82SV

DLC82SV Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    If they are in rut, they are oblivious to us!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Try using bells?
    (very old joke: "Q: Why do cows in Switzerland have bells hung around their necks? A: For those occasions when their horns don't work! (…rim shot)")

DLC82SV likes this.
  6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Were these whistles plugged and disabled by insects?

Because we can't hear them, I guess we just don't know. ;)

7. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    They could have worked perfectly and the car simply hit another car- never know when you're sweeping up bits well after the fact.

On the other hand I could never reconcile the claimed performance of these whistles with the lack of complaints from dog owners.

8. Tynyyn

Tynyyn Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the answers about the deer whistles.

Now, how about helping a brotha out with the first part of the question. Are the headlights hard to install? Any special tools needed? Any body guys out there who can give a WAG about how much it would cost to rub out the dented hood or should I just get a replacement?

Thanks.

DLC82SV likes this.
  9. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    They are easy to replace. Plenty of videos on youtube. Can probably be done in 30-40 minutes by someone who has never done it before. The headlight assembly is held in place by three screws. The screws can be accessed by loosening the bumper cover near the light and the plastic cover under the hood near the light. Again, watch some videos first and you'll see how simple it really is. AutoZone has the plastic rivets in case you break any. About 5 bucks for a pack of 6 or something like that.

Are they Halogen or HID? Halogen if you don't have foglights.

DLC82SV likes this.
  10. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    as long as the deer, and it's immediate family, hasn't hired a lawyer, you should be OK.....

DLC82SV likes this.
  11. DLC82SV

DLC82SV Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    You can hear mine if you blow in them... One is much higher pitched than the other even new...

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

12. Tynyyn

Tynyyn Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So yesterday my new headlights came to the house via FedEx and I was very pleasantly surprised at how they were packaged. Good job.

I took a huge set of water pumps and a rag and bent the hood up to clear the headlight. It looks decent, not pristine because of some waves in the metal, but if you weren't looking too closely, you might miss the damage. I installed both headlights and it was very easy. Once sheet metal screw which held the bumper to the fender and then three machine screws holding the headlight to the frame and it was off. Kid you not within ten minutes I had a headlight out.

So after installing the lights and then driving to work in the early morning I noticed the headlights were pointing to the tree tops. Can somebody point me to a thread on how to aim the lights? What I need to know is how far from a wall I need to park the prius and how far up the wall I need to point the lights. I think I can adjust the up and down of the lights with the odd screw in the rear of the headlight housing, I just need some external measurements so I can get the beams spot on.

Still haven't found the deer horns, would wally world have them?

13. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Adjustment bolt/screw on the on the back of headlight unit can be adjusted with either socket (8mm if I remember correctly) or using a Philips screwdriver from the top down as a gear.

Headlight should point down a certain degree which should be written on the headlight itself. So you can just use that and calculate how much the beam should drop if when you’re on the level surface parked towards a wall with known distance between the car and wall. Or you can just adjust it a bit down from level.

Here they have done a testing for those whistles for moose (and deer) and came to the conclusion that they do not work.