1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I hit a ladder at 70 mph

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by JBrookes, Dec 26, 2015.

Tags:
  1. JBrookes

JBrookes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A careless truck ahead of me dropped a ladder on the highway - impossible to predict or avoid. I hit it right after it hit the road (luckily it didn't come thru windshield). My 05 prius went slightly airborne. A large pickup truck right after me suffered a blowout.

The result:
    my prius was completely drive-able afterwards.
    no damage to tires or wheel alignment (checked later)
    The plastic under-baffles were largely ripped out.
    damage to front fenders underneath. (not visible above)
    No damage to radiator or any other mechanical functionality.
    Support baffles bent under engine.

So the prius I was driving really survived well - the baffles underneath absorbed the shock of hitting the large ladder sideways. A truck following me, though it looked much more sturdy, had a blow-out.

I was surprised it did so well. I could have driven it across country afterwords. (really)
    YMMV.

JB

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Did the truck that the ladder fell from stop? Will they pay for damage caused to your two vehicles?

3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow! Congratulations on surviving what could have been a rather harrowing experience! (…one reason I never tail-gate, especially those vehicles with bikes/luggage/coolers/kitchen-sinks strapped to external carriers around the outside). I'm always terrified that something similar is going to happen to me! …suddenly some kiddies pink, pride-and-joy Tinkerbelle's Fairy Bike cuts loose from its inadequate fastenings and ends up as either a hood ornament, or joins me inside, riding on my lap!!! :eek:)

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm always amazed at how close cars travel behind me when i have a large amount of dangerous loose stuff in my pick up.:eek:

5. JBrookes

JBrookes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Michigan a no-fault state. My ins. co. initiated a "mini-tort" action for $500 deductible.
    JB

I didn't anticipate it! Good to avoid getting behind trucks/cars with external loads!
    jb

avoid small utility trucks (poorly trained workers) and pleasure vehicles (amateur rigging) esp. My 2 cents. jb

#5 JBrookes, Dec 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2015
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I had to drive over one of those shipping pallets one time, the ones that are about four foot square and maybe 5~6" deep. it was right ahead, no way to avoid, laying diamond orientation in the lane. It was wham/wham, no problem, but that was lucky. Not with the Prius, a long time back.

7. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, those small-time contractors carrying ladders, mowers, and such behind pickup trucks often tend to be in a hurry and careless. My version of that story is about the entire seat coming off a large riding mower on a trailer. It skidding underneath my 1900-pound Mazda. It shredded part of the under-engine cover, scratched the transmission housing (barely missing an electrical switch thereon), and scraped a relatively sturdy structural member between the rear wheels. but missed other more vital and fragile parts, except for denting the fuel tank. After the noise stopped, it emerged behind my car with the backrest and lower part of the frame broken into separate pieces. The guy stopped, accused me of wrecking his seat, then took off before I could get the plate number on the trailer.

#7 CR94, Dec 26, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i once tied two 4 x 8 pieces of lattice to the oem roof rack on my ford windstar minivan. the rack broke right off on the highway and the dang things went sailing up into the air like a kite. i'm watching them in the rear view mirror, and they came down on the center strip, just missing a car.:eek:
    someone was watching down on me that day. and the person behind me.:love:

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope that this doesn't mean that the state does not have or enforce laws requiring all loads to be secured.
    Out here, dropped loads can lead to very large fines even when no other damage occurs. Serious penalties began just after several people were killed and one very seriously brain damaged, all within a few months.
    While supporting a bicycle event a few years ago, we picked up a rider who was in the wrong place when a pickup lost a barbecue and a kid's 'big wheels'. He avoided the barbecue but hit the toy while it was still skidding, destroying the front of his bike. We were astounded how little injury he sustained. At least the pickup driver stopped and was cooperating with police.
    Last year, riding another event, we came upon a loading ramp dropped in the bike lane. Turned out that a rider ahead of us had to dodge it while it was still sliding.

10. JBrookes

JBrookes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The driver of the truck said the rigger was a new, pt employee he hadn't seen before. So I could have been killed, but there was no apparent liability for their actions. The government is slow to pursue these cases, as a small-time operator (the truck) has no $$ for influence-peddling. And my feelings about increased government involvement to "regulate" activities are mixed. In the meantime, I think I'll be more observant about small trucks and cars carrying external loads. This is largely psychological: If you can overcome the urge to speed in the fast lane, then hazards are much less. Careless people are more in the fast lane (left lane) because they are chronically short of time, including time to secure the load.

11. JBrookes

JBrookes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably Michigan is lax. I've seen trucks carrying debris scattering their contents on the highway. It's quite a job to police this area, and budget priorities, including shuffling funds around, may leave enforcement nil.

12. JBrookes

JBrookes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, no matter how much some law or regulation can threaten load carriers, the fact remains: highways ARE dangerous. When we got around on horses, you could get thrown. SUV's popular because they protect better, supposedly. Were you in left lane?

bisco likes this.
  13. JBrookes

JBrookes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hit and Run. A felony.
    In my case, the plastic baffles under the prius took 99% of the shock. A few mechanical parts were bent slightly (radiator support and muffler support), but not enough to affect function at all.

14. JBrookes

JBrookes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    which lane were you in? curious, jb

15. JBrookes

JBrookes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

People are in a hurry about nothing. It's actually anxiety driving them. So the left lane is the "sick" lane. This is a lesson I have to teach myself, as I like speeding in the Prius, since it accelerates so fast - and use cruise control. I'm ok on long trips, but on short runs, with herds of people speeding and jockeying for position on the highway, I can get caught up in the "mania."

16. JBrookes

JBrookes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, anything heavy particularly dangerous, as it can smash windshield. I'm on the lookout for load carriers, esp. "amateurs."

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, it's an area with two lanes on either side of a center strip, and you can be forced into the left by merging traffic coming from the right. i actually thought the lattice or ropes broke, but while washing the roof sometime later, i saw that both crossbars had snapped off.

18. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The OP was very lucky not to sustain more damage or injury.
    In the UK there are very heavy fines for insecure or dangerous loads. A dangerous load can be anything from a load "or part of" that falls from the vehicle, is obviously not fastened securely, is to wide or long, to heavy, or is not flagged or lit.
    It is also an offence to obscure the rear lights or number plate "think bike carrier" in any way.

John

Data Daedalus likes this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I was in right lane of two lane highway, with a car to my left. The right shoulder was open, but there really wasn't enough time to slow or swerve right safely; the car in front of me had just gone over it and there it was. So I straddled it, best I could.

I guess bottom line for things like this: increase following distance, and slow down. Improves mpg too.