1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

i hope a plugin prius is only an option and not standard

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by poodlemaster, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This is why Kyocera installed a "Solar Grove" last year over their parking lot. I'm sure in anticipation of their employees someday plugging in their cars while at work. The cars are shaded from the sun and weather during the day and the PV panels generate more electricity than the company needs.

Kyocera Solar Grove

Solar Grove exceeds expectations.

2. OlsonBW

OlsonBW New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Feb 1 2007, 12:45 PM) [snapback]384073[/snapback]</div>
    Let me start by saying that I fully agree with you on everything.

I live near Seattle so I'm not sure how well solar panels will do up here. I'm curious though. How much did they cost to buy and to install? Solar panels that is. How many do you have and were you totally able to get all the electricity you use? I'm assuming you do have the normal amount of electrical appliances in your house and use them.

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Feb 1 2007, 07:20 PM) [snapback]384249[/snapback]</div>
    And apartment complexes could do the same for the parking area.

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Don't miss the good 'point' of PHEV's ... if you DON'T plug it in, it still recharges SOME ... just like the standard model does ... and, you DO NOT HAVE to plug in ... you simply benefit more, if / when you do.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(poodlemaster @ Jan 31 2007, 11:42 AM) [snapback]383262[/snapback]</div>

5. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OlsonBW @ Feb 2 2007, 11:22 AM) [snapback]384555[/snapback]</div>
    Howdy... and thanks!

First off, here's my page on my solar system that will answer many of your questions:
    http://evnut.com/solar.htm

I paid just over $10k. But I didn't actually use money. I took out a loan, and I pay about $70/month for my system. So for that $70/month, I am NOT paying about $70/month in electricity, and I'm NOT paying about $100/month in gasoline for our main vehicle. We have a very small system (2.5kW) and it serves our needs almost perfectly with Time of Use metering. Yes, I live in a normal house with normal appliances. But I DO go out of my way to conserve. Energy efficiency is a hobby of mine (he types on his solar-powered laptop). Phantom loads drive me nuts, for example. When I'm not using a device, it is OFF. Not switched off, but effectively unplugged.

But back to solar... you'd be surprised at how well it'll do in areas that you wouldn't think would work so well. The city with the MOST installed PV wattage in the entire country. San Francisco. A city famous for fog.

6. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    you know how theres those non contact electromagnetic chargers, ( i think ev1 had em ) why not make a huge one the size of the garage floor to charge a prius battery?

or is it gonna give you cancer

7. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(statultra @ Oct 15 2007, 01:37 PM) [snapback]525989[/snapback]</div>
    Most of the EVs had inductive chargers, including my current one: the Rav4EV. A few were conductive, and we're going back to a conductive standard moving forward (for example the Tesla will be conductive).

No reason to make a "huge one." Just a normal size one will do. An auto park/charge system wouldn't be difficult to design. With a robotic arm and the intelligence of your standard robotic vacuum, any sort of charging interface could be used automatically every time you park. It won't be long before you'll get out of your car where convenient, and let it park itself, begin charging, and downloading your mp3 tunes and schedule for the next day. :)

8. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sustainable, renewable energy-based (PHEV), not single-use fossil fuel based vehicles are the way to go.