1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I Hope not too many Prius Drivers do this.....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by New Revelation, Aug 23, 2006.

1. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Aug 23 2006, 03:49 PM) [snapback]308412[/snapback]</div>
    You get that here too, even when you ARE passing. And we have posted speed limits which they are ignoring.
    In the passing lane, maybe. I HIGHLY doubt any officer will pull you over for doing speed limit in the travel lane.
    If I was to get pulled over for doing 65 in the travel lane (ie, on the right) when everyone else was doing 75, I'd be at the courthouse for my hearing asking why the State Police aren't doing their job enforcing the speed limits.

2. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hopeful Future Prius Owner @ Aug 23 2006, 12:03 AM) [snapback]308047[/snapback]</div>
    Pulse and Glide is NOT reasonable on the interstate. You can glide down long hills as long as your speed stays up. A typical 'hypermiler' P&G scenario is a lot like a loaded semi that can't maintain speed on the uphill. They lose speed until they crest, then get back up to speed (or over, maintaining average speed for the total trip ;) ) on the back side. Unless someone wants to build a P&G toll road where everyone expects to run this way, keep the P&G on side roads when there is no traffic. There are certainly many places with lower speed limits where one can glide for advantage without doing a serious P&G. And then there are the lights that turn red ahead of you - glide to the stop rather than powering or 'regening' to it.

3. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bruceha_2000 @ Aug 24 2006, 02:11 PM) [snapback]308879[/snapback]</div>
    Doing the speed limit, no. Doing significantly less than the speed limit is different. I've seen some highways where a minimum speed of 45 was posted along with the speed limit.

4. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

In Massachuesetts the speed limit is the posted limit or what lower limit is safe due to weather or other conditions like heavy traffic.
    You can get a ticket for driving at the posted limit according to the drivers handbook.

5. Somechic

Somechic Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(glenhead @ Aug 23 2006, 02:50 PM) [snapback]308367[/snapback]</div>
    Curious where you got this statistic? I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm generally curious

6. glenhead

glenhead New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Somechic @ Aug 24 2006, 02:00 PM) [snapback]308920[/snapback]</div>
    Think about a race - you almost never see wrecks in the straightaways, unless there's some sort of mechanical failure or someone clips another car. Change. Most wrecks are in the turns, an area of change.

Now think about the freeway. When everyone is cruising along at the same speed, whatever that is, things roll along smoothly. As soon as something happens within that static environment that requires a speed change, the amount of the initial change is magnified by other drivers waking up and reacting to the change (or, rather more frequently, overreacting). Things cascade quickly, and you get the slinky effect at best; at worst, the road shuts down and everyone fumes. If all-but-one of the traffic is going X, and you have one car going X-10, that one car is going to cause a localized zone of pretty significant change. As the number of cars increases, the size of the zone increases greatly, with people in the same lane arriving at the tail end of the zone, changing lanes, thus expanding the zone into the next lane, etc. The "I Own the Road" syndrome kicks in, people cut in front of others or refuse to let people over, tensions mount, and somebody rear-ends someone else - another change. Now you have a real problem.

With two seconds of separation, and nobody changing lanes, and no mechanical failures, you can drive at the maximum speed of the slowest car on the road and everything will be peachy. As soon as something changes, all bets are off. Unfortunately, things are changing all the time (duh!), so the best we can do is avoid being the cause of unexpected change. End of soapbox. :rolleyes:

7. deh2k

deh2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IAO @ Aug 23 2006, 04:09 PM) [snapback]308427[/snapback]</div>
    IAO,
    I think you should get your act together because you sound really out of control.

8. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've seen this guy. I was...on my way from Grand Rapids to Kalamazoo. I thought cool another Prius, I slowed down to 65 in the fast lane to give the wave. I blew by the guy like he was standing still. I felt a little embarrised since my mileage was no where near that good, but I bet he causes many bad feelings of people stuck behind his slow nice person.

9. meezercat

meezercat New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Aug 23 2006, 02:49 PM) [snapback]308412[/snapback]</div>
    This is actually illegal in Illinois (I believe the law went into effect January 2004 if I remember correctly). I don't know how enforcement of the law actually works in practice, though. I will say that in non rush hour situations, I see people tending to pass on the right more than on the left since the law went into effect.