1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I just acquired a new project vehicle

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jelloslug, Jul 17, 2008.

1. okiebutnotfrommuskogee

okiebutnotfrommuskogee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like a good idea. You know where all the nuts and bolts are now. When my son and I were rebuilding the first generation RX-7s, we got real familiar with every part, and had a lot of fun with those cars.

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Great thread, just want to help out a little :)

You can get OEM hood from here with low shipping (about $18 to east coast) for less than $200.

That after market hood is steel right? How heavy is it? I know the OEM aluminum is about 20 lbs.

3. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    They won't ship it for $18. I have already asked several on line stores about shipping. The shipping calculator does not take in consideration of the oversize charge. It's closer to $100 for shipping. I know a guy that has a connection at a local Toyota dealer, I might go that route and see if I can get a better deal that way. I would say the steel aftermarket hood is about 40 lbs.

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A close friend of mine just ordered it recently from there and got it with $18 shipping fee. I couldn't believe until I saw the reciept. Maybe they made a mistake and he got lucky.

5. jelloslug

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That's good to know. I'll have to put them on my list of place to get a quote from.

6. jelloslug

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ta da!

[​IMG]

I did not actually stick the Toyota emblem on because I'm not going to use this hood in the end.

[​IMG]

Now it's time to drive it around! Just in time for $5 a gallon gas!

7. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, that looks nice... Too bad your not going to use the hood - I imagine that took quite a bit of paint to cover.

8. jelloslug

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It was about $30 worth of paint so it's not that big of a loss.

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That hood look splenty good to me.

So. Sans emblem, it is ready for the road or are you still tweaking? When does the wife put it into service?

10. jelloslug

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I still have a few odds and ends to wrap up: I need to put the "HYBRID" emblems back on, I need to put the VIN sticker back on the fenders, I'm waiting on the fog lights to come in before I install the grill surrounds, and of course I'm going to swap out the hood in the near future. I will drive it around all of next week and if everything is OK it's all hers.

11. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    nice job
    not this hood?

12. thepolarcrew

thepolarcrew Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Looks good.

When you pushed the button, did it come up Ready? Did you have to trouble shoot a little?

13. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How about the air conditioning - did you have any trouble getting that system to work?

Good idea to drive it yourself first - after you've logged 1,000 miles without warning lights coming on, then you should feel comfortable that there are no latent surprises waiting to be revealed.

After you've got the HYBRIDSD badges in place, pls take a few photos of both sides when the car is in the sunlight - like to see what the entire car looks like. Thanks!

14. jelloslug

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It worked just fine! I still need to take it to an alignment shop and make sure the front end alignment is OK and I will most likely have to bleed the coolant a little more but other than that it seems good to go.

15. jelloslug

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I had no problems with getting the AC running (other than spending $87 for a little bottle of oil). I replace the oil that came out, vacuumed it down and put in the refrigerant.

16. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Congratulations! You did some fine work, and made quite an intertaining thread to boot.
    My uncle owns the largest automotive body-shop N of Atl, and I can appreciate what you accomplished.
    I'ts cool that you gave everyone a little insight into what repairing collision damage is all about.

17. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    wow i hope i can paint as well as you, this is my first job and im hoping on that.

The major part of painting in my eyes is the preparation.

I have a hood bumper and a fender with that black primer, that comes from factory, could I just scuff with the grey nylon scuff pad and use preparation solvent and paint?

Btw, your prius looks sick, i rebuilt 2 priuses and had a friend of mine paint for me, using some pretty expensive paint BASF glasurit.
    for my accord, well i think ill use the paint you used considering the great results

i have two devilbliss paint guns, ( finish line ) two 1.3mm and 1 1.7 mm tip
    would this be adequate to paint?

also if you have issues with aligning the hood, i suggest messing with the hinges (bending it ) if its the original hinge you have from the start.

18. jelloslug

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Glasurit is a better quality paint than Limco but they are both BASF brands. I am a novice painter but the Limco multi-stage paints are easy to spray and a good value. With proper preparation they should have a decent life. I would hit the parts you have with 400 grit before you paint. Honestly I cannot give you any good info for tip selection but the Limco website should have a application guide that would have the proper info that you are looking for. I think the problem with the hood is deeper than just alignment. The lock striker is welded in place so if I move it any further to the passenger side I will run out of adjustment for the latch. The passenger side fender is pushed as far in as it can go and I still have a large gap. I think the only other course of action is to remove the fender and making extra "adjustments" to the mounting points or the fender itself.

19. thepolarcrew

thepolarcrew Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium